    in later versions particularly 9. It seems the cropping tool in 7
    doesn't let you select a fixed aspect ratio unless I'm missing something.
    Dave Cohen

    Dave Cohen, Sep 29, 2007

  2. Dave Cohen

    RealityBytes Guest

    On Sat, 29 Sep 2007 21:40:25 GMT, Dave Cohen <> wrote:

    >I have PSP 7 with all documentation. A friend had it but never installed
    >or used. Haven't really used it myself that much. How much improvement
    >in later versions particularly 9. It seems the cropping tool in 7
    >doesn't let you select a fixed aspect ratio unless I'm missing something.
    >Dave Cohen

    There have been no significant improvements in PS since v5.5. A minor tweak on
    one tool doesn't warrant a new version number. But Adobe's marketing department
    knows that calling it an update or version upgrade will sell a new copy to their
    throngs of blind and idiot followers. Better 32-bit platform software came along
    since v5.5 and PS was dismissed, easily. PS is still 16-bit math only. Anyone
    paying for that, let alone even using a pirated copy of it, has lost touch with
    reality. It's not even worth pirating for free anymore when there's so much
    better software available.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_raster_graphics_editors

    Take your pick, there's a dozen to choose from that beats anything that
    PhotoShop has ever done or will ever do.

    RealityBytes, Sep 30, 2007

  3. Dave Cohen

    Victek Guest

    "Dave Cohen" <> wrote in message
    > I have PSP 7 with all documentation. A friend had it but never installed
    > or used. Haven't really used it myself that much. How much improvement in
    > later versions particularly 9. It seems the cropping tool in 7 doesn't let
    > you select a fixed aspect ratio unless I'm missing something.
    > Dave Cohen

    You can easily find out by downloading a the latest version which is
    available as fully functional trial-ware.

    http://www.corel.com/servlet/Satell...als/Login&pid=1184951547077&cid=1185293040419

    If the above link is broken just go to:

    www.corel.com

    Victek, Sep 30, 2007
  4. Dave Cohen

    Guest

    On Sep 29, 9:01 pm, BRH <BRH> wrote:
    > RealityBytes wrote:
    > > On Sat, 29 Sep 2007 21:40:25 GMT, Dave Cohen <> wrote:

    > >>I have PSP 7 with all documentation. A friend had it but never installed
    > >>or used. Haven't really used it myself that much. How much improvement
    > >>in later versions particularly 9. It seems the cropping tool in 7
    > >>doesn't let you select a fixed aspect ratio unless I'm missing something.
    > >>Dave Cohen

    > > There have been no significant improvements in PS since v5.5. A minor tweak on
    > > one tool doesn't warrant a new version number. But Adobe's marketing department
    > > knows that calling it an update or version upgrade will sell a new copy to their
    > > throngs of blind and idiot followers. Better 32-bit platform software came along
    > > since v5.5 and PS was dismissed, easily. PS is still 16-bit math only. Anyone
    > > paying for that, let alone even using a pirated copy of it, has lost touch with
    > > reality. It's not even worth pirating for free anymore when there's so much
    > > better software available.

    > >http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_raster_graphics_editors

    > > Take your pick, there's a dozen to choose from that beats anything that
    > > PhotoShop has ever done or will ever do.

    > Uhhh....I think the OP was referring to Paint Shop Pro (PSP)?

    Unfortunately, I only have the old version 7. Jasc Software, the
    original creator of PSP is now part of Corel. Now they introduce the
    software as Corel Paint Shop Pro (latest version is 12 por X2?).
    Someone suggested that the version 9 can convert photos to simulate IR
    photography?

    , Sep 30, 2007
  5. Dave Cohen

    BRH Guest

    BRH, Sep 30, 2007
  6. Dave Cohen

    Dave Cohen Guest

    Victek wrote:

    > "Dave Cohen" <> wrote in message
    >> I have PSP 7 with all documentation. A friend had it but never
    >> installed or used. Haven't really used it myself that much. How much
    >> improvement in later versions particularly 9. It seems the cropping
    >> tool in 7 doesn't let you select a fixed aspect ratio unless I'm
    >> missing something.
    >> Dave Cohen

    > You can easily find out by downloading a the latest version which is
    > available as fully functional trial-ware.
    >
    > http://www.corel.com/servlet/Satell...als/Login&pid=1184951547077&cid=1185293040419
    >

    > If the above link is broken just go to:
    >
    > www.corel.com

    I don't want the latest version, I already have PhotoPlus. I was
    interested to know changes from 7 to 9 mainly. Version 9 can still be
    had on ebay if I find I prefer PSP to my PhotoPlus. PSP updates a deform
    action much faster than Ph+.
    Dave Cohen

    Dave Cohen, Sep 30, 2007
  7. Dave Cohen

    Steve B Guest

    "Dave Cohen" <> wrote in message
    > Victek wrote:
    >>

    >> "Dave Cohen" <> wrote in message
    >>> I have PSP 7 with all documentation. A friend had it but never installed
    >>> or used. Haven't really used it myself that much. How much improvement
    >>> in later versions particularly 9. It seems the cropping tool in 7
    >>> doesn't let you select a fixed aspect ratio unless I'm missing
    >>> something.
    >>> Dave Cohen

    >> You can easily find out by downloading a the latest version which is
    >> available as fully functional trial-ware.
    >>
    >> http://www.corel.com/servlet/Satell...als/Login&pid=1184951547077&cid=1185293040419
    >> If the above link is broken just go to:
    >>
    >> www.corel.com
    >>

    > I don't want the latest version, I already have PhotoPlus. I was
    > interested to know changes from 7 to 9 mainly. Version 9 can still be had
    > on ebay if I find I prefer PSP to my PhotoPlus. PSP updates a deform
    > action much faster than Ph+.
    > Dave Cohen

    PSP9 got the photo enhancing tools like noise reduction, purple fringing
    reduction and I think it was the version when the lens distortion,
    backlighting and fill flash controls came in. It was a big improvement over
    earlier versions for photo editing and I still use it in preference to CS2
    as it's just quicker to work with. I don't know if updates are still
    available, 9.00 was buggy, I'm using 9.01 which is fine and it may have got
    to 9.02 round about the time Corel bought it out, I'm not sure though.

    Steve B, Sep 30, 2007
  8. Dave Cohen

    norm Guest

    On Sun, 30 Sep 2007 03:29:36 GMT, Dave Cohen <> wrote:

    >Victek wrote:
    >>

    >> "Dave Cohen" <> wrote in message
    >>> I have PSP 7 with all documentation. A friend had it but never
    >>> installed or used. Haven't really used it myself that much. How much
    >>> improvement in later versions particularly 9. It seems the cropping
    >>> tool in 7 doesn't let you select a fixed aspect ratio unless I'm
    >>> missing something.
    >>> Dave Cohen

    >> You can easily find out by downloading a the latest version which is
    >> available as fully functional trial-ware.
    >>
    >> http://www.corel.com/servlet/Satell...als/Login&pid=1184951547077&cid=1185293040419
    >>

    >> If the above link is broken just go to:
    >>
    >> www.corel.com
    >>

    >I don't want the latest version, I already have PhotoPlus. I was
    >interested to know changes from 7 to 9 mainly. Version 9 can still be
    >had on ebay if I find I prefer PSP to my PhotoPlus. PSP updates a deform
    >action much faster than Ph+.
    >Dave Cohen

    I think psp7 could save exif data later one can????

    norm, Sep 30, 2007
  9. Dave Cohen

    JL Guest

    PSP 9 has major improvements but X (10) is better. Since version 8, scripts
    capabilities were introduced and the program was completely rewritten for
    the version 8.
    The actual X2 (12) version has improved algorithms of many tools and many
    new things were added. If you buyed version 7, you may obtain X2 at a lower
    price.

    For more precise and technical questions like yours, preferabily post them
    in the dedicaced PSP newsgroup
    corel.PaintShopPro9
    You may find this group via www.corel.com :
    -> Community
    -> Newsgroups
    or direct here :
    http://tinyurl.com/2pt9o

    Jean-Luc Ernst
    Private Beta Tester since version 8.

    dDzLi.93$Gk2.23@trndny04...

    JL, Sep 30, 2007
  10. Dave Cohen

    Dave Guest

    Dave Cohen wrote:
    > Victek wrote:
    >>

    >> "Dave Cohen" <> wrote in message
    >>> I have PSP 7 with all documentation. A friend had it but never
    >>> installed or used. Haven't really used it myself that much. How much
    >>> improvement in later versions particularly 9. It seems the cropping
    >>> tool in 7 doesn't let you select a fixed aspect ratio unless I'm
    >>> missing something.
    >>> Dave Cohen

    >> You can easily find out by downloading a the latest version which is
    >> available as fully functional trial-ware.
    >>
    >> http://www.corel.com/servlet/Satell...als/Login&pid=1184951547077&cid=1185293040419
    >>

    >> If the above link is broken just go to:
    >>
    >> www.corel.com
    >>

    > I don't want the latest version, I already have PhotoPlus. I was
    > interested to know changes from 7 to 9 mainly. Version 9 can still be
    > had on ebay if I find I prefer PSP to my PhotoPlus. PSP updates a deform
    > action much faster than Ph+.
    > Dave Cohen

    I got my copy of PSP 9 free when I bought a Lexar 4gb 133x CF card,was
    on a mini-cd in the package.Never tried the earlier versions,but I think
    the scripting was supposed to be vastly improved in 9.I know you can
    find tons of extras(scripts,tubes,plug-ins,etc)for 9 and up easy.The
    plug-in support in 9 might be worth it.

    Dave

    --
    "...voters are not apathetic; rather, they are too deeply concerned
    with the nation's serious problems to be interested in the

    Dave, Oct 1, 2007
  11. Dave Cohen

    Bill Tuthill Guest

    Dave Cohen <> wrote:

    > I don't want the latest version, I already have PhotoPlus. I was
    > interested to know changes from 7 to 9 mainly. Version 9 can still be
    > had on ebay if I find I prefer PSP to my PhotoPlus. PSP updates a deform
    > action much faster than Ph+.

    I like version 9! They fixed the JPEG bugs that appeared in version 7
    or 8, I can't recall which. I only have versions 6 and 9, and the upgrade
    was substantial. Actual levels/curves, highly useful salt&pepper filter,
    not too much additional complication in the UI. Buy it, is my advice.

    Bill Tuthill, Oct 1, 2007