    CS, I need to change OS. Would changing to windows 2000 be less negative
    impact on my other software than changing to XP? If I upgrade OS and some
    programs don't work, can I reverse the process?

    Terry, Dec 6, 2003

  2. Terry

    HRosita Guest

    Hi,

    I recommend a backup of your ME system that you would be able to resore (Drive
    Image or Ghost).
    Most operating system upgrades should be done on a clean drive (unless you are
    looking for trouble) and cannot be reversed.
    Rosita

    HRosita, Dec 6, 2003

  3. Terry

    Tyke Guest

    Upgrading to WIN2K or WINXP is likely to have the same effect on any
    software,

    Certain older software does not install on WIN2K. I have a program for a
    label printer which runs fine on WIN98SE, but WIN2K will not allow it to
    install since it needs to write to certain files which WIN2K protects.

    If you upgrade the operating system, then such install problems will not be
    seen, but some older software may still not run.

    As another poster stated, an install on a clean hard drive partition is
    recommended. It is recommended to back up your valuable data before the
    install, whether clean install or upgrade.

    Many people create a new partition on their hard drive and then select the
    multi-boot option and install WIN2K or WINXP on the new partition. This may
    be the best method to ensure the old software still works, but allows
    WIN2K/WINXP to install on the clean partition.

    I prefer WIN2K over WINXP since WIN2K does not require activation by
    Microsoft. WINXP requires activation and can only be reinstalled about 5
    times before you have to call MS and beg for a new key.

    I have performed many motherboard upgrades on my systems as well as have
    hiccups now and again which have resulted in numerous operating system
    installs.

    Dave Paine.

    Tyke, Dec 6, 2003
  4. Terry

    Guest

    In message <7BkAb.4159$>,
    "Terry" <> wrote:

    >I have windows ME and a lot of software that presently runs ok. To get PS
    >CS, I need to change OS. Would changing to windows 2000 be less negative
    >impact on my other software than changing to XP? If I upgrade OS and some
    >programs don't work, can I reverse the process?

    While it is possible that some programs don't work in XP, but do in
    2000, I think you'll find very little problem with XP except for system
    utilities that dig deep into the OS, which is different. I've seen many
    cases where programs and games that never worked on Win9x (and were
    written for it) ran fine once a system was upgraded to XP. My sister
    had a couple Win98/8 games that never worked until I upgraded her
    machine to XP from Win98.

    --

    <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>
    John P Sheehy <>
    ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>><

    , Dec 6, 2003
  5. Terry

    Paolo Pizzi Guest

    Terry wrote:

    > I have windows ME and a lot of software that presently runs ok. To
    > get PS CS, I need to change OS. Would changing to windows 2000 be
    > less negative impact on my other software than changing to XP? If I
    > upgrade OS and some programs don't work, can I reverse the process?

    I suggest XP for several reasons:

    - Win 2000 is OOP and it has been replaced by XP Pro (you don't
    really need that, XP Home will do, unless you have more than 8
    computers on a network.)

    - XP has a very functional backward compatibility module that
    allows you to run every 95/98/Me piece of software (except
    for drivers, of course.)

    - XP can display thumbnails of your pictures without the need for
    third-party software (which will typically slow your machine.)

    Paolo Pizzi, Dec 6, 2003
  6. Terry

    Terry Guest

    Ah ha! I had not heard about the backward compatibility. I don't suppose
    that microsoft website can do a scan of your computer online to determine if
    any software will have conflicts. I have numerous photo programs, financial
    and math programs, adobe software in addition to PS, and on and on. Much
    software also downloaded and paid for but it would be a nightmare trying to
    find the original set up files. I know, I know, I should be better
    organized. I'm not sure what I will do about this yet. The dual boot sounds
    interesting, but I don't want to keep resetting to switch software.

    Thanks all for the input!!

    --
    http://www.pbase.com/tvacha

    Terry, Dec 7, 2003
  7. Terry

    Paolo Pizzi Guest

    Terry wrote:

    > Ah ha! I had not heard about the backward compatibility.

    Each application can be set to four levels of OS
    backward compatibility (95, 98/Me, NT 4.0 and
    2000) and can be forced to run at 256 colors and/or
    at 640x480 resolution (without the need to change
    the resolution and color depth of your screen.) All
    of this via properties menu (right click on icon and
    select "properties.")

    Very neat and it works great.

    > I don't suppose that microsoft website can do a
    > scan of your computer online to determine if any
    > software will have conflicts.

    They actually do that (but only with your permission.)
    Every time there is an application crash, XP asks you
    to send Microsoft an incident report (provided you are
    connected to the internet, of course) and if the automatic
    system finds the culprit (amazingly, it often happens...)
    it will send you an answer right away.

    I am no Microsoft lover but XP is a great OS and
    undoubtedly the best Windows ever.

    Paolo Pizzi, Dec 7, 2003
  8. Terry

    Guest

    In message <b8wAb.33729$>,
    "Paolo Pizzi" <> wrote:

    >I am no Microsoft lover but XP is a great OS and
    >undoubtedly the best Windows ever.

    I know a few people who bought their first computers (PCs) recently, and
    they have no idea how good they have it. Device drivers for XP just
    seem to work flawlessly, for the most part. Earlier versions seemed to
    be harder to write good drivers for.
    --

    <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>
    John P Sheehy <>
    ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>><

    , Dec 7, 2003
  9. Terry

    Paolo Pizzi Guest

    wrote:

    > I know a few people who bought their first computers
    > (PCs) recently, and they have no idea how good they
    > have it.

    Ignorance is bliss!! I think a decade of aggravation with
    3.1, 95, NT, 98 and Me has had a very negative influence
    on my blood pressure... :)

    Paolo Pizzi, Dec 7, 2003
  10. Terry

    HRosita Guest

    >Paolo Pizzi" wrote:

    >Every time there is an application crash, XP asks you
    >to send Microsoft an incident report

    ( Snip)
    >and if the automatic
    >system finds the culprit (amazingly, it often happens...)
    >it will send you an answer right away.

    This is true but if they cannot find the culprit (in my case a bad driver) it
    is up to you to find the crash cause.

    Rosita

    HRosita, Dec 7, 2003
  11. Terry

    Guest

    Terry <> wrote:
    > I have windows ME and a lot of software that presently runs ok. To get PS
    > CS, I need to change OS. Would changing to windows 2000 be less negative
    > impact on my other software than changing to XP? If I upgrade OS and some
    > programs don't work, can I reverse the process?

    This depends on your software. Contact the publisher of each software package you
    use (or check their web site) to see which operating systems they recommend.

    As an alternative, you might be able to set up a dual boot system that runs
    Windows ME and Windows 2000 or XP.

    , Dec 22, 2003
  12. Terry

    HRosita Guest

    Hi,

    Hi, I got XP Home with my new computer in August and all my program that
    worked in Win98se are working.

    Of course some of the older programs did not get migrated, XP has a lot of
    built in features. Dual boots are a good idea but after a while it becomes a
    hassle to switch.
    Like a previous poster stated, check for version upgrades.

    Also, do a clean install of XP. doing an upgrade over ME is inviting trouble.
    Check the computer groups in Google.
    Rosita

    HRosita, Dec 22, 2003
  13. Unless you really know what you are doing, and have XP/Win2K drivers for
    ALL your hardware (including your motherboard & chipset), do NOT "upgrade"
    your old system. Buy new with XP or Win2K pre-installed. It is possible your
    driver disk that came with your ME system had Win2K drivers on it - check
    your documentation, although they are probably out-of-date by now.
    Definitely do a clean install in any case. Dual-boot will enable you to use
    the old OS if things don't go well with the upgrade. -BK

    Barry Kelsall, Dec 22, 2003