PS3 Announced

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Daniel, May 17, 2005.

  1. Daniel

    Daniel Guest

    Just as I'm getting used to how insane the Xbox 360 specs are (for a
    console), along comes Sony:

    http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/05/16/news_6124681.html

    * 3.2GHz Cell Processor (2.18 teraflops - whatever that is)
    * 256MB XDR RAM @ 3.2GHz
    * 256MB GDDR VRAM @ 700MHz
    * Blu-ray drive
    * Backward compatible with PS2 & PS1
    * Memory Stick Duo, SD, & Compact Flash slots
    * 2.5 inch HDD slot (rumoured to be 160GB at release)

    And the real kicker:
    * Nvidia RSX "Reality Synthesizer"...
    The GPU will be capable of 128bit pixel precision, 1080p resolution,
    some of the highest HD resolution around. The RSX also has 512mb of
    graphics render memory and is capable of 100 billion shader operations
    and 51 billion dot products per second. It also has over 300 million
    transistors, larger than any processor available commercially today. It
    will be manufactured using the 90nm process with 8 layers of metal. The
    RSX is more powerful than *two* GeForce 6800 Ultra video cards, which
    would cost roughly $1000 total if bought today.

    Now it's Nintendo's turn.
    Daniel, May 17, 2005

  2. Daniel

    Bret Guest

    On Tue, 17 May 2005 12:13:07 +1200, Daniel <>
    wrote:

    >Just as I'm getting used to how insane the Xbox 360 specs are (for a
    >console), along comes Sony:
    >
    >http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/05/16/news_6124681.html
    >
    >* 3.2GHz Cell Processor (2.18 teraflops - whatever that is)
    >* 256MB XDR RAM @ 3.2GHz
    >* 256MB GDDR VRAM @ 700MHz
    >* Blu-ray drive
    >* Backward compatible with PS2 & PS1
    >* Memory Stick Duo, SD, & Compact Flash slots
    >* 2.5 inch HDD slot (rumoured to be 160GB at release)
    >
    >And the real kicker:
    >* Nvidia RSX "Reality Synthesizer"...
    >The GPU will be capable of 128bit pixel precision, 1080p resolution,
    >some of the highest HD resolution around. The RSX also has 512mb of
    >graphics render memory and is capable of 100 billion shader operations
    >and 51 billion dot products per second. It also has over 300 million
    >transistors, larger than any processor available commercially today. It
    >will be manufactured using the 90nm process with 8 layers of metal. The
    >RSX is more powerful than *two* GeForce 6800 Ultra video cards, which
    >would cost roughly $1000 total if bought today.
    >
    >Now it's Nintendo's turn.

    I think the Xbox will be outclassed.
    Bret, May 17, 2005

  3. Daniel

    Mutlley Guest

    Daniel <> wrote:

    >Just as I'm getting used to how insane the Xbox 360 specs are (for a
    >console), along comes Sony:
    >
    >http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/05/16/news_6124681.html
    >
    >* 3.2GHz Cell Processor (2.18 teraflops - whatever that is)
    >* 256MB XDR RAM @ 3.2GHz
    >* 256MB GDDR VRAM @ 700MHz
    >* Blu-ray drive
    >* Backward compatible with PS2 & PS1
    >* Memory Stick Duo, SD, & Compact Flash slots
    >* 2.5 inch HDD slot (rumoured to be 160GB at release)
    >
    >And the real kicker:
    >* Nvidia RSX "Reality Synthesizer"...
    >The GPU will be capable of 128bit pixel precision, 1080p resolution,
    >some of the highest HD resolution around. The RSX also has 512mb of
    >graphics render memory and is capable of 100 billion shader operations
    >and 51 billion dot products per second. It also has over 300 million
    >transistors, larger than any processor available commercially today. It
    >will be manufactured using the 90nm process with 8 layers of metal. The
    >RSX is more powerful than *two* GeForce 6800 Ultra video cards, which
    >would cost roughly $1000 total if bought today.
    >
    >Now it's Nintendo's turn.

    What OS does it run??
    Mutlley, May 17, 2005
  4. Daniel

    Daniel Guest

    Bret wrote:

    > I think the Xbox will be outclassed.

    I think you're right :)
    Daniel, May 17, 2005
  5. Daniel

    Daniel Guest

    Mutlley wrote:

    > What OS does it run??

    Well, I know one OS it won't be running ;-)
    Daniel, May 17, 2005
  6. Mutlley wrote:

    > What OS does it run??

    PS3OS
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, May 17, 2005
  7. Daniel

    Bret Guest

    On Tue, 17 May 2005 12:53:38 +1200, "Dave - Dave.net.nz"
    <> wrote:

    >Mutlley wrote:
    >
    >> What OS does it run??

    >PS3OS

    Or shortspike.
    Bret, May 17, 2005
  8. Daniel

    cowboyz Guest

    On Tue, 17 May 2005 12:40:03 +1200, Bret <> wrote:

    > On Tue, 17 May 2005 12:13:07 +1200, Daniel <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Just as I'm getting used to how insane the Xbox 360 specs are (for a
    >> console), along comes Sony:
    >>
    >> http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/05/16/news_6124681.html
    >>
    >> * 3.2GHz Cell Processor (2.18 teraflops - whatever that is)
    >> * 256MB XDR RAM @ 3.2GHz
    >> * 256MB GDDR VRAM @ 700MHz
    >> * Blu-ray drive
    >> * Backward compatible with PS2 & PS1
    >> * Memory Stick Duo, SD, & Compact Flash slots
    >> * 2.5 inch HDD slot (rumoured to be 160GB at release)
    >>
    >> And the real kicker:
    >> * Nvidia RSX "Reality Synthesizer"...
    >> The GPU will be capable of 128bit pixel precision, 1080p resolution,
    >> some of the highest HD resolution around. The RSX also has 512mb of
    >> graphics render memory and is capable of 100 billion shader operations
    >> and 51 billion dot products per second. It also has over 300 million
    >> transistors, larger than any processor available commercially today. It
    >> will be manufactured using the 90nm process with 8 layers of metal. The
    >> RSX is more powerful than *two* GeForce 6800 Ultra video cards, which
    >> would cost roughly $1000 total if bought today.
    >>
    >> Now it's Nintendo's turn.

    > I think the Xbox will be outclassed.

    I'll be waiting on the games. After all. that is what really matters.
    To be honest, i am getting more than a little bored with new release games
    lately. I got the punisher the other day which is good but I still find
    myself resorting to rise of nations and starcraft for quality
    entertainment.

    cowboyz, May 17, 2005
  9. Daniel

    David Preece Guest

    Daniel wrote:
    > The
    > RSX is more powerful than *two* GeForce 6800 Ultra video cards

    LOL. Really, out loud. At the idea of sticking something that powerful
    in a console.

    Holy mother of god, that's some shit big video card.

    Dave
    David Preece, May 17, 2005
  10. Daniel

    BrianM Guest

    On Tue, 17 May 2005 18:54:03 +1200, David Preece wrote:

    > Daniel wrote:
    >> The
    >> RSX is more powerful than *two* GeForce 6800 Ultra video cards

    > LOL. Really, out loud. At the idea of sticking something that powerful
    > in a console.
    >
    > Holy mother of god, that's some shit big video card.
    >
    > Dave

    Now if we can just get ID and Capcom to port their games to it .....
    (Doom 3, Dino Crisis 3)

    cheers
    BrianM
    BrianM, May 17, 2005
  11. Daniel

    David Preece Guest

    Bret wrote:
    > I think the Xbox will be outclassed.

    One way of putting it. The XBox's 'traditional' technical advantage is
    certainly toast.

    Dave
    David Preece, May 17, 2005
  12. Daniel

    David Preece Guest

    Daniel wrote:
    > The GPU will be capable of 128bit pixel precision, 1080p resolution

    I just noticed something - this says 1080p, and it's not a typo.

    p, as in "progressive scan", as in "not interlaced". So about twice as
    many pixels as XBox 2 and more than can be delivered by ... anything.
    Certainly a heap more resolution than HDTV.

    Also interesting are some details

    "Dolby 5.1ch, DTS, LPCM, etc. (Cell-base processing)"

    In other words, no hardware DTS. AND....

    "Communication Ethernet (10BASE-T, 100BASE-TX, 1000BASE-T)
    x 3 (input x 1 + output x 2)"

    Sounds like it acts as a router too. Oh, and GigE! On a console! AND...

    "HDMI out x 2" which is interesting when taken in the context of "Full
    HD (up to 1080p) x 2 channels". Multiple monitors on a console, or
    stereo vision?

    No two ways about it, from a hardware perspective the XBox looks like a
    pile of crud. Right - anyone going to make games for this thing then?

    Dave
    David Preece, May 17, 2005
  13. Daniel

    Shane Guest

    On Tue, 17 May 2005 20:34:46 +1200, David Preece wrote:

    > Daniel wrote:
    >> The GPU will be capable of 128bit pixel precision, 1080p resolution

    > I just noticed something - this says 1080p, and it's not a typo.
    >
    > p, as in "progressive scan", as in "not interlaced". So about twice as
    > many pixels as XBox 2 and more than can be delivered by ... anything.
    > Certainly a heap more resolution than HDTV.
    >
    > Also interesting are some details
    >
    > "Dolby 5.1ch, DTS, LPCM, etc. (Cell-base processing)"
    >
    > In other words, no hardware DTS. AND....
    >
    > "Communication Ethernet (10BASE-T, 100BASE-TX, 1000BASE-T)
    > x 3 (input x 1 + output x 2)"
    >
    > Sounds like it acts as a router too. Oh, and GigE! On a console! AND...
    >
    > "HDMI out x 2" which is interesting when taken in the context of "Full
    > HD (up to 1080p) x 2 channels". Multiple monitors on a console, or
    > stereo vision?
    >
    > No two ways about it, from a hardware perspective the XBox looks like a
    > pile of crud. Right - anyone going to make games for this thing then?
    >
    > Dave

    heh.. who cares... I want to know what linux has been ported to it!
    :)

    Shane, May 17, 2005
  14. Daniel

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "BrianM" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 17 May 2005 18:54:03 +1200, David Preece wrote:
    >
    >> Daniel wrote:
    >>> The
    >>> RSX is more powerful than *two* GeForce 6800 Ultra video cards

    >> LOL. Really, out loud. At the idea of sticking something that powerful
    >> in a console.
    >>
    >> Holy mother of god, that's some shit big video card.
    >>
    >> Dave

    > Now if we can just get ID and Capcom to port their games to it .....
    > (Doom 3, Dino Crisis 3)
    >
    > cheers
    > BrianM

    Doom 4 surely - think big and better. Doom 3 will be a $29 budget game
    before you know it.

    It's competition will come from SONY's own cheap PS2, which will still be
    sold and supported for a few years yet.

    E. Scrooge
    E. Scrooge, May 17, 2005
  15. Daniel

    JedMeister Guest

    "Daniel" <> wrote in message
    > Just as I'm getting used to how insane the Xbox 360 specs are (for a
    > console), along comes Sony:
    >
    > http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/05/16/news_6124681.html
    >
    > * 3.2GHz Cell Processor (2.18 teraflops - whatever that is)
    > * 256MB XDR RAM @ 3.2GHz
    > * 256MB GDDR VRAM @ 700MHz
    > * Blu-ray drive
    > * Backward compatible with PS2 & PS1
    > * Memory Stick Duo, SD, & Compact Flash slots
    > * 2.5 inch HDD slot (rumoured to be 160GB at release)
    >
    > And the real kicker:
    > * Nvidia RSX "Reality Synthesizer"...
    > The GPU will be capable of 128bit pixel precision, 1080p resolution, some
    > of the highest HD resolution around. The RSX also has 512mb of graphics
    > render memory and is capable of 100 billion shader operations and 51
    > billion dot products per second. It also has over 300 million transistors,
    > larger than any processor available commercially today. It will be
    > manufactured using the 90nm process with 8 layers of metal. The RSX is
    > more powerful than *two* GeForce 6800 Ultra video cards, which would cost
    > roughly $1000 total if bought today.
    >
    > Now it's Nintendo's turn.

    2 questions / points...

    1. I recall the US govt wanting to restrict exports of PS2/xbox to some
    countries as the chips could be used for missile guidance or something.
    With these new chips, the processing power is so huge I am curious to see
    what the US does this time.

    2. NZ are lagging behind hugely on HD and digital TV services (courtesy of
    Helen Clark reigning in TVNZ a few years ago). It seems the gaming/video
    camera industry may drive sales of HD sets in NZ, rather than the
    broadcasting authorities. Very very strange.
    JedMeister, May 18, 2005
  16. In article <>, "AD." <> wrote:
    (snip)
    >In my opinion HDTV can wait as long as it likes - anyone who takes
    >watching telly that seriously should consider getting a better hobby. I
    >presume there has been some sort of standard agreed on by now? If not
    >chances are the countries that get it first are likely to be stuck with
    >inferior standards eg like the US was with most things.

    Agreed. There is a great deal to be said for being second or third to a new
    market :)

    Bruce

    -------------------------------------
    - George Bernard Shaw
    - Ambrose Bierce

    (if there were any)
    Bruce Sinclair, May 18, 2005
  17. Daniel

    AD. Guest

    On Wed, 18 May 2005 13:18:16 +1200, JedMeister wrote:

    > 1. I recall the US govt wanting to restrict exports of PS2/xbox to some
    > countries as the chips could be used for missile guidance or something.
    > With these new chips, the processing power is so huge I am curious to
    > see what the US does this time.

    It wasn't quite like that. The US has (or at least had?) export
    restrictions on supercomputers to stop people using them for nukes
    research etc (not missile guidance though - that's far less demanding).
    The regulations defined a supercomputer has one having a certain number of
    operations per second or something. Of course legal stuff being legal
    stuff it couldn't keep up with technological progress and one day someone
    noticed that the PS2 (or whatever it was at the time) exceeded the
    outdated and limited legal definition of what a super computer actually
    was.

    The US never tried restricting games consoles on that basis.

    --
    Cheers
    Anton
    AD., May 18, 2005
  18. Daniel

    Jedmeister Guest

    "Bruce Sinclair" <> wrote
    in message news:8Lyie.838$...
    > In article <>, "AD."
    > <> wrote:
    > (snip)
    >>In my opinion HDTV can wait as long as it likes - anyone who takes
    >>watching telly that seriously should consider getting a better hobby. I
    >>presume there has been some sort of standard agreed on by now? If not
    >>chances are the countries that get it first are likely to be stuck with
    >>inferior standards eg like the US was with most things.

    > Agreed. There is a great deal to be said for being second or third to a
    > new
    > market :)
    >

    > Bruce

    Yeah, same with the automobile - we should not have let them in.
    Jedmeister, May 18, 2005
  19. Daniel

    BrianM Guest

    On Tue, 17 May 2005 22:55:24 +1200, E. Scrooge wrote:

    > "BrianM" <> wrote in message

    >>> LOL. Really, out loud. At the idea of sticking something that powerful
    >>> in a console.
    >>>
    >>> Holy mother of god, that's some shit big video card.
    >>>
    >>> Dave

    >> Now if we can just get ID and Capcom to port their games to it .....
    >> (Doom 3, Dino Crisis 3)
    >>
    >> cheers
    >> BrianM

    > Doom 4 surely - think big and better. Doom 3 will be a $29 budget game
    > before you know it.
    >
    > It's competition will come from SONY's own cheap PS2, which will still
    > be sold and supported for a few years yet.
    >
    > E. Scrooge

    Can't see Doom4 anytime soon Scroogie, it took Id bloody years to make Doom3.
    I am looking forward to seeing the new PS3 in action.

    cheers
    BrianM
    BrianM, May 18, 2005
  20. Daniel

    Guest

    David Preece wrote:
    > Bret wrote:
    > > I think the Xbox will be outclassed.

    > One way of putting it. The XBox's 'traditional' technical advantage

    is
    > certainly toast.
    >
    > Dave

    well, only for the moment.

    the PS3 clearly beats Xbox2 in most areas, on paper anyway. Sony has
    tech spec advantage. that is, until Xbox3 arrives with far superior
    hardware to what is in PS3.
    , May 18, 2005