    Alasdair Baxter, Nottingham, UK.Tel +44 115 9705100; Fax +44 115 9423263

    "It's not what you say that matters but how you say it.
    It's not what you do that matters but how you do it"

    Alasdair Baxter, Jun 27, 2004

  2. Alasdair Baxter

    D.Currie Guest

    "Alasdair Baxter" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I have a keyboard with a PS2 plug on it. It works fine. I bought a
    > small PS2 to USB adaptor and put it into one of the USB ports on my
    > new 'puter. No joy. The computer found new hardware but didn't know
    > what it was.
    >
    > Is this PS2 to USB adaptor useless or is there a workaround?
    >
    > Please, anyone?
    > --
    >
    > Alasdair Baxter, Nottingham, UK.Tel +44 115 9705100; Fax +44 115 9423263
    >
    > "It's not what you say that matters but how you say it.
    > It's not what you do that matters but how you do it"

    If the keyboard wasn't made to work with USB, its probably not going to
    work. Or, if it was made to work with USB and you're trying to replace the
    adapter, a generic one might not work. Sometimes you get lucky, but more
    often than not it won't work.

    D.Currie, Jun 27, 2004

  3. Alasdair Baxter

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Alasdair Baxter" <> wrote in message
    > > I have a keyboard with a PS2 plug on it. It works fine. I bought a
    > > small PS2 to USB adaptor and put it into one of the USB ports on my
    > > new 'puter. No joy. The computer found new hardware but didn't know
    > > what it was.
    > >
    > > Is this PS2 to USB adaptor useless or is there a workaround?
    > >
    > > Please, anyone?
    > > --

    Using a keyboard on USB requires "legacy" USB support in BIOS. When you
    start your system, you may instructions on how to get to system setup -
    Delete key, Ctrl-S, etc. Go into the CMOS setup and see if you can find
    anywhere to turn on "USB Legacy Support" or "Support for USB Keyboards", or
    something similar to that.

    THEY went." ~Will Rogers~

    Toolman Tim, Jun 27, 2004
  4. Alasdair Baxter

    Bob B Guest

    "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    > "Alasdair Baxter" <> wrote in message
    > > > I have a keyboard with a PS2 plug on it. It works fine. I bought a
    > > > small PS2 to USB adaptor and put it into one of the USB ports on my
    > > > new 'puter. No joy. The computer found new hardware but didn't know
    > > > what it was.
    > > >
    > > > Is this PS2 to USB adaptor useless or is there a workaround?
    > > >
    > > > Please, anyone?
    > > > --

    > Using a keyboard on USB requires "legacy" USB support in BIOS. When you
    > start your system, you may instructions on how to get to system setup -
    > Delete key, Ctrl-S, etc. Go into the CMOS setup and see if you can find
    > anywhere to turn on "USB Legacy Support" or "Support for USB Keyboards",

    or
    > something similar to that.

    I wonder why the USB keyboard support in BIOS is not enabled by default
    rather than the other way around. BB

    Bob B, Jun 27, 2004
  5. Alasdair Baxter

    Plato Guest

    Alasdair Baxter wrote:

    > I have a keyboard with a PS2 plug on it. It works fine. I bought a
    > small PS2 to USB adaptor and put it into one of the USB ports on my
    > new 'puter. No joy. The computer found new hardware but didn't know
    > what it was.

    It wont work on an old keyboard unless it was also designed to use
    either interface.

    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Jun 27, 2004
  6. Plato wrote:
    > Alasdair Baxter wrote:
    >>
    >> I have a keyboard with a PS2 plug on it. It works fine. I bought a
    >> small PS2 to USB adaptor and put it into one of the USB ports on my
    >> new 'puter. No joy. The computer found new hardware but didn't know
    >> what it was.

    > It wont work on an old keyboard unless

    ... you plagiarise it.

    Ed Jablonowski, Jun 27, 2004
  7. Alasdair Baxter

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Bob B" <> wrote in message
    > > "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    > > > "Alasdair Baxter" <> wrote in message

    > > > Using a keyboard on USB requires "legacy" USB support in BIOS.
    > > > When you start your system, you may instructions on how to get to
    > > > system setup - Delete key, Ctrl-S, etc. Go into the CMOS setup
    > > > and see if you can find anywhere to turn on "USB Legacy Support"
    > > > or "Support for USB Keyboards", or something similar to that.

    > > I wonder why the USB keyboard support in BIOS is not enabled by
    > > default rather than the other way around. BB

    My guess is resource managment - why assign resources to a device seldom
    used? I could be wrong, but I agree with you...I usually set that ON for my
    customers/clients in case they go out and buy a USB keyboard.

    THEY went." ~Will Rogers~

    Toolman Tim, Jun 27, 2004