    Well both seem to be down around $400. But which can be most easily
    "made" to do other things....? Divx ?

    Eh ?
    Lukagain, Jul 9, 2003

  2. Lukagain

    Bruce Flyger Guest

    Lukagain wrote:
    > Well both seem to be down around $400. But which can be most easily
    > "made" to do other things....? Divx ?
    >
    > Eh ?

    In terms of "hackability" you can't beat an XBOX. There's plenty of
    sites around that are dedicated to both hardware and software mods.

    http://xbox-linux.sourceforge.net
    http://www.xboxhackz.com

    Because an XBOX issentially just a PC, there's not much you can't do
    when you know how.

    --
    M.C.S.E :- Minesweeper Consultant & Solitaire Expert
    Bruce Flyger, Jul 9, 2003

  3. On Wed, 09 Jul 2003 18:47:39 +1200, Lukagain <> wrote:

    >Well both seem to be down around $400. But which can be most easily
    >"made" to do other things....? Divx ?
    >
    >Eh ?

    Gee even a Idiot like me knows that..
    Master Tech ©, Jul 9, 2003
  4. On Wed, 09 Jul 2003 20:20:03 +1200, Richard Malcolm-Smith <>
    wrote:

    >Lukagain wrote:
    >
    >> Well both seem to be down around $400. But which can be most easily
    >> "made" to do other things....? Divx ?

    >xbox. Free stuff for it. Can be reflashed with just soldering 2 points and
    >messing around with a mem card and linux. Or get a replacement bios - piece of
    >cake to install compared with the PS2 - dont fall for the no solder ones, the
    >soldering doesnt come much easier, and the no solder ones come loose if you bump
    >the box hard.

    And the Software Hack is Free, & no Soldering.-:)

    http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=10332

    Link to it

    http://lists.netsys.com/pipermail/full-disclosure/2003-July/010895.html
    Master Tech ©, Jul 9, 2003
  5. Richard Malcolm-Smith, Jul 9, 2003
  6. Lukagain

    StuM Guest

    "Steve" <> wrote in message
    > Lukagain allegedly said:
    >
    > > Well both seem to be down around $400. But which can be most easily
    > > "made" to do other things....? Divx ?
    > >
    > > Eh ?

    > PS2 - by far.

    I dont think so. Does a PS2 have a harddrive? Built in network port? No, but
    the Xbox does.

    > SONY even sell a version of Linux for it and a kit to support it.

    Yeah and how many hundreds is that?

    > Xbox is deliberately crippled for mod-ing. If you change it, you can't

    play
    > onlilne games on Microsoft's exclusive gaming platform

    Xbox is in no way crippled for modding, what a silly answer. On my Xbox i've
    put a mod chip in, can run any game from the 120gb hardrive installed in it.
    Can watch avi's, mpgs etc through the telly with the media player. I can
    plug my xbox into my switch and get online and play against others without
    MS Live (which isn't even in NZ and probably never will).

    > That why I play all games on a Linux PC. I prefer freedom to be milked

    like
    > an aphid by Bill Gates.
    >
    > Quake III
    > UT2003
    > Return to Castle Wolfenstien
    > SimCity 3000 Unlimited
    > Rune
    > Tribes2
    >
    > Many more.....

    Comparing a PS2 to an Xbox is like comparing a mini to the Merc, you can't.
    BTW the PS2 graphics are nothing compared to the Xbox's.

    StuM.
    StuM, Jul 9, 2003
  7. Lukagain

    cowboyz Guest

    "StuM" <stum@_remove_this_dr.com> wrote in message

    > "Steve" <> wrote in message
    > > Lukagain allegedly said:
    > >
    > > > Well both seem to be down around $400. But which can be most easily
    > > > "made" to do other things....? Divx ?
    > > >
    > > > Eh ?

    > > PS2 - by far.

    > I dont think so. Does a PS2 have a harddrive? Built in network port? No,

    but
    > the Xbox does.
    >

    > > SONY even sell a version of Linux for it and a kit to support it.

    > Yeah and how many hundreds is that?
    >
    > > Xbox is deliberately crippled for mod-ing. If you change it, you can't

    > play
    > > onlilne games on Microsoft's exclusive gaming platform

    > Xbox is in no way crippled for modding, what a silly answer. On my Xbox

    i've
    > put a mod chip in, can run any game from the 120gb hardrive installed in

    it.
    > Can watch avi's, mpgs etc through the telly with the media player. I can
    > plug my xbox into my switch and get online and play against others without
    > MS Live (which isn't even in NZ and probably never will).
    >
    > > That why I play all games on a Linux PC. I prefer freedom to be milked

    > like
    > > an aphid by Bill Gates.
    > >
    > > Quake III
    > > UT2003
    > > Return to Castle Wolfenstien
    > > SimCity 3000 Unlimited
    > > Rune
    > > Tribes2
    > >
    > > Many more.....

    > Comparing a PS2 to an Xbox is like comparing a mini to the Merc, you

    can't.
    > BTW the PS2 graphics are nothing compared to the Xbox's.
    >
    > StuM.

    Interesting to note that I did a little survey as to which to buy with my
    kids cause I was unsure so I hired an Xbox and a PS2 and guess which one
    won?

    Playstation hands down. The gfx were nice on the Xbox but I think the games
    seemed to be aimed at the "older" gamer.

    --
    "It's what you learn after you know it all that counts."
    cowboyz, Jul 9, 2003
  8. Lukagain

    m00se Guest

    cowboyz wrote:

    > Interesting to note that I did a little survey as to which to buy with my
    > kids cause I was unsure so I hired an Xbox and a PS2 and guess which one
    > won?
    >

    > Playstation hands down. The gfx were nice on the Xbox but I think the games
    > seemed to be aimed at the "older" gamer.

    Agree with you there. My nephew finds the XboX controls too big for his
    hands for a start, not to mention too complicated.

    Personally I love the XboX, but those mates of mine who play GTA3: VC
    Love the PS2.

    Its a simple case of each to their own, and what console provides better
    support for the games you like to play.
    m00se, Jul 10, 2003
  9. Lukagain

    m00se Guest

    Jerry wrote:

    > You can get a small controller for the Xbox
    >
    > Jerry

    Which comes at an addtional expense.

    I love my nephew, but not enough to buy him a controller of his own when
    he comes over and jumps on my xbox :)
    m00se, Jul 10, 2003
  10. Lukagain

    Mark. Guest

    The Xbox has been shipping since May this year with the S model
    controller.

    Mark., Jul 10, 2003
  11. Lukagain

    Rob King Guest

    "Lukagain" <> wrote in message
    > Well both seem to be down around $400. But which can be most easily
    > "made" to do other things....? Divx ?

    Wait for the new Sony PSX :)~~~~~.

    PS2 engine with 120Gb HDD, DVD burner, TV tuner.

    Of course, you'll be waiting a few months as it's being release in Japan in
    December. :)
    Rob King, Jul 10, 2003
  12. Lukagain

    PJ Lee Guest

    "cowboyz" <> wrote in message

    > Interesting to note that I did a little survey as to which to buy with my
    > kids cause I was unsure so I hired an Xbox and a PS2 and guess which one
    > won?
    >

    > Playstation hands down. The gfx were nice on the Xbox but I think the

    games
    > seemed to be aimed at the "older" gamer.

    How old are the kids?
    If you have young kids and you haven't yet purchase the PS2, do consider
    GameCube...
    it's alot more 'child friendly' than the other 2 consoles.
    GameCube is alot less popular but it does have a wider range of games for
    kids ( puzzles, non violent platforms..) which, IMO, are more suitable to
    keep the young ones busy.

    just my 2c :)
    PJ Lee, Jul 10, 2003
  13. "Master Tech ©" <> wrote in message
    > >Wait for the new Sony PSX :)~~~~~.
    > >
    > >PS2 engine with 120Gb HDD, DVD burner, TV tuner.
    > >
    > >Of course, you'll be waiting a few months as it's being release in Japan

    in
    > >December. :)
    > >

    > And is not crackable..

    Why? do they not sell you the console and let you take it home with you?
    Without physical security all bets are off
    Nathan Mercer, Jul 10, 2003
  14. On Thu, 10 Jul 2003 23:40:50 +1200, "mattboyle" <> wrote:

    >"Master Tech ©" <> wrote in message
    >> On Thu, 10 Jul 2003 21:56:49 +1200, "Rob King" <>

    >wrote:
    >>

    >> >"Lukagain" <> wrote in message
    >> >
    >> >Wait for the new Sony PSX :)~~~~~.
    >> >
    >> >PS2 engine with 120Gb HDD, DVD burner, TV tuner.
    >> >
    >> >Of course, you'll be waiting a few months as it's being release in Japan

    >in
    >> >December. :)
    >> >

    >> And is not crackable..
    >>

    >someone is sure to crack it in someway.

    Not Possible as its all in one Chip, this fact has been posted..
    Master Tech ©, Jul 10, 2003
  15. On Thu, 10 Jul 2003 23:36:19 +1200, Master Tech ©
    <> scribbled:

    >On Thu, 10 Jul 2003 21:56:49 +1200, "Rob King" <> wrote:
    >

    >>"Lukagain" <> wrote in message
    >>> Well both seem to be down around $400. But which can be most easily
    >>> "made" to do other things....? Divx ?

    >>Wait for the new Sony PSX :)~~~~~.
    >>
    >>PS2 engine with 120Gb HDD, DVD burner, TV tuner.
    >>
    >>Of course, you'll be waiting a few months as it's being release in Japan in
    >>December. :)
    >>

    >And is not crackable..

    Didn't they say that about the PS2?

    --
    Phillip Weston
    Taumarunui, New Zealand

    Phillip Weston, Jul 10, 2003
  16. > And Divx? Fannying about mucking around with rewiring things and possibly
    > fucking up your system if you don't know what you're doing...or just get a
    > pc and play it thru your tv-out if you with to watch it on your telly.

    Seems
    > a lot less complicated.

    I Agree....

    Keeping your PC up to date (change the graphics card every 2 years, mobo and
    cpu every 3 or so for me) kicks any console graphics.

    Plugging in the laptop with TV-out has been a breeze for divx, only prob on
    my lappy is there's no 5.1 output, but most divx's ive seen are only encoded
    in stereo mp3 anyway.

    Games at 1024x768 or better kicks any console, even compared to 100Hz tv's.

    However the cost of a PC to console is different, but so are the game costs!

    Matt

    -----

    Doom3 :)
    Matthew Strickland, Jul 11, 2003
  17. "Master Tech ©" <> wrote in message
    > >> And is not crackable..

    > >Why? do they not sell you the console and let you take it home with you?
    > >Without physical security all bets are off
    > >

    > As this new model has it all in one chip so no way to hack into it.

    Why, do they not let you take it home with you when you buy it?
    Nathan Mercer, Jul 11, 2003
  18. Lukagain

    k y l e Guest

    "Matthew Strickland" <> wrote in message
    > > And Divx? Fannying about mucking around with rewiring things and

    possibly
    > > fucking up your system if you don't know what you're doing...or just get

    > > pc and play it thru your tv-out if you with

    ooops, typo... 'with' should be "wish" :-<

    to watch it on your telly.
    > Seems
    > > a lot less complicated.

    > I Agree....
    >
    > Keeping your PC up to date (change the graphics card every 2 years, mobo

    and
    > cpu every 3 or so for me) kicks any console graphics.

    Agreed. People spend a grand or so on their PlayStations etc (plus games)
    when they come out, so a pc to upgrade isn't necessarily that much more
    prohibitive costwise, and you have so much more freedom / benefits on a pc.

    > Plugging in the laptop with TV-out has been a breeze for divx, only prob

    on
    > my lappy is there's no 5.1 output, but most divx's ive seen are only

    encoded
    > in stereo mp3 anyway.

    Yeah, the DivX I make is in mp3, so I can put the hughest possible video
    quality on a cd, and then adjust the mp3 bitrate accordingly so I can fit it
    onto 700 megs.

    > Games at 1024x768 or better kicks any console, even compared to 100Hz

    tv's.

    Agreed.

    > However the cost of a PC to console is different, but so are the game

    costs!

    Nail on the head again. Got Moto GP the other day at The Warehouse for only
    $29.95...you're looking at around 100 bucks or more for the PlayStation2
    version, and the graphics on the pc version blows the PS2 away.

    > Matt
    >
    > -----
    >
    > Doom3 :)

    And Doom3 will raise the bar even higher. While PS2 people will continue to
    play blocky pixelled stuff like Midnight Club 2, first-person-shooter fans
    will be reveling in the gaming experience which will be DOOM3!!!
    k y l e, Jul 11, 2003
  19. Lukagain

    Rob King Guest

    "k y l e" <> wrote in message
    > "Phillip Weston" <> wrote in
    > message news:...
    > > On Thu, 10 Jul 2003 23:36:19 +1200, Master Tech ©
    > > <> scribbled:

    Japan
    > in
    > > >>

    > > >And is not crackable..

    > > Didn't they say that about the PS2?
    > > >

    > Most ordinary consumers can't do all this "cracking" stuff you talk about.
    > They spend hundreds on their console, they don't have a hard drive or
    > anything, just spend megabucks on a silly 8mb memory card and over a

    hundred
    > each on a game. And in the final analysis, they are very very limited.
    > People who buy their Xboxes have no idea about putting a 120gb hard drive
    > in. You're given what you're given, you can only copy an audio cd, play a
    > dvd and a game. Wooo-hooooo. I hate consoles. Graphics look shit anyway.

    Why
    > put up with a blocky, interlaced console picture when a pc delivers far
    > better graphics. Take Vice City for example. The graphics on the pc

    version
    > far supercede its console cousin. The cars look waaaay nicer. Just my 2
    > cents from a pc fanboy.
    >
    > And Divx? Fannying about mucking around with rewiring things and possibly
    > fucking up your system if you don't know what you're doing...or just get a
    > pc and play it thru your tv-out if you with to watch it on your telly. See

    ms
    > a lot less complicated.

    Have you played Rallisport Challenge on a PC??? I had to turn all the
    graphics options off to get, oooooh, 15fps. The XBox version screams with
    full graphics!

    True, out of the box, a PC can do more, but when you just want to sit down
    in the evening and play some Halo or something, it's much easier to just
    turn on and play, than faff about with running something up on a PC.

    Besides, tell us how to build a $400 PC which can do the same as an Xbox (or
    PS2)?
    Rob King, Jul 11, 2003
  20. Lukagain

    k y l e Guest

    "Rob King" <> wrote in message

    > "k y l e" <> wrote in message
    > > "Phillip Weston" <> wrote

    in
    > > message news:...
    > > > On Thu, 10 Jul 2003 23:36:19 +1200, Master Tech ©
    > > > <> scribbled:

    snip

    > Have you played Rallisport Challenge on a PC??? I had to turn all the
    > graphics options off to get, oooooh, 15fps. The XBox version screams with
    > full graphics!

    No, I've played the Xbox version. I saw the PC Demo of it on PC Gameworld
    and thought about downloading it to compare. Minimum system requirements for
    that game on pc are quite steep. What are your specs? Vid card etc?

    Personally I think titles like WRC and Colin MCRae are much better than
    Rallisport Challenge but that's probably my spite out of having my ass
    caned! :-((

    > True, out of the box, a PC can do more, but when you just want to sit down
    > in the evening and play some Halo or something, it's much easier to just
    > turn on and play, than faff about with running something up on a PC.

    Halo looks like utter shit. Plasticine walls, grey splotches. Compare that
    to Unreal 2. Go close up to a wall - looks like a real wall. Load times
    aren't too bad either. No fluffing about if you've got a no cd crack from
    gamecopyworld.

    > Besides, tell us how to build a $400 PC which can do the same as an Xbox

    (or
    > PS2)?

    You can get good value upgrade kits (including reasonable video cards) for
    close to that price if you go shopping around nz online stores. But
    admittedly you've got to already have much of your gear and stick it all in
    (hdd/ cd/dvdrom / monitor etc). I look at it from the opposite point of
    view. Spend a couple of hundred bucks more than the $400 for a console and
    get a lot more entertainment bang for your buck all round. I know a mate who
    has a PlayStation 2 and you can tell he'd LOVE to have a pc to check email,
    surf the web, download some porn, do a bit of gaming, watch some movies,
    listen to mp3s, all the things a growing Kiwi Lad would love to do on a pc.
    But he's stuck with his console. The upside is he loves driving games, and
    they are better served on console than on a pc. But he kinda wishes he spent
    money on a pc instead, but now he's paying off his Playstation2 that he paid
    over $1200 for (will be a lot more than that once the interest is accounted
    for). Maybe one day he will get one (probably when PS2 emulators come
    out...like seemingly never! :). I read we will need a pc to be at least 8ghz
    to successfully emulate the Emotion Engine. Sorry to drift off-topic, lol :)
    k y l e, Jul 11, 2003