    when not needed (I'd run the system by remote software most of the time
    anyway).

    Can this be done reliably enough to work?
    Mobius, Sep 10, 2005

  2. Mobius

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Mobius wrote:
    > I've got a computer that I'd like to leave running all the time
    > (WinXP). I'd like to use a PS2-USB adapter for this so I can unplug
    > the keyboard & mouse when not needed (I'd run the system by remote
    > software most of the time anyway).
    >
    > Can this be done reliably enough to work?

    Yes. But why not just get a USB keyboard and a USB mouse? Or why go USB at
    all? Just unplug the PS2 mouse and PS2 keyboard and plug them back in when
    you need them?

    Toolman Tim, Sep 10, 2005

  3. Mobius

    Mobius Guest

    "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    > Mobius wrote:
    >> I've got a computer that I'd like to leave running all the time
    >> (WinXP). I'd like to use a PS2-USB adapter for this so I can unplug
    >> the keyboard & mouse when not needed (I'd run the system by remote
    >> software most of the time anyway).
    >>
    >> Can this be done reliably enough to work?

    > Yes. But why not just get a USB keyboard and a USB mouse? Or why go USB at
    > all? Just unplug the PS2 mouse and PS2 keyboard and plug them back in when
    > you need them?

    Can you do that (I've heard it can damage the motherboard)?
    Mobius, Sep 10, 2005
  4. Mobius

    Gazwad Guest

    Toolman Tim, <>, the overjealous,
    cheerless ice-cream seller, and hay and forage merchant, puled:

    I always suspected you were a thick **** but that post really proves it.

    --
    Lunch was nice;

    Noxious squirrel offal accentuated with nasty flea spinal cord under
    monstrous tick abscess accentuated by frightful heads of lettuce and
    cockatoo buttock marinade, cooked in a gurgling bucket chock full of big
    whole artichoke in corrosive fresh blood, a side of pickles and a pitcher of
    manatee thigh broth.
    Gazwad, Sep 10, 2005
  5. Mobius

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Mobius wrote:
    > "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    >> Mobius wrote:
    >>> I've got a computer that I'd like to leave running all the time
    >>> (WinXP). I'd like to use a PS2-USB adapter for this so I can unplug
    >>> the keyboard & mouse when not needed (I'd run the system by remote
    >>> software most of the time anyway).
    >>>
    >>> Can this be done reliably enough to work?

    >> Yes. But why not just get a USB keyboard and a USB mouse? Or why go
    >> USB at all? Just unplug the PS2 mouse and PS2 keyboard and plug them
    >> back in when you need them?
    >>

    > Can you do that (I've heard it can damage the motherboard)?

    Only if you plug them in wrong...which is just as likely with a USB
    connection. I swap keyboards and mice all the time with the systems running.

    Toolman Tim, Sep 10, 2005
  6. Mobius

    why? Guest

    On Fri, 9 Sep 2005 22:23:34 -0500, "Mobius" <com DOT yahoo AT
    m0b1us0099> wrote:

    >I've got a computer that I'd like to leave running all the time (WinXP). I'd
    >like to use a PS2-USB adapter for this so I can unplug the keyboard & mouse
    >when not needed (I'd run the system by remote software most of the time
    >anyway).
    >
    >Can this be done reliably enough to work?

    It's done all the time, in 1 form or another.

    A KVM switch, provides KM emulation , saves the worry you mentioned
    about damage to mobo and the point about mixing connectors.

    One of these sort of things , a single port PS/2 KM emulator,
    http://www.aten.com/products/produc...&psid=20050107105128001&pid=20050224170053005
    PS/2 Emulator
    Simply plug the CV-100KM into any computer and its onboard
    microprocessor emulates an actual keyboard and mouse! Operate and boot
    normally with or without a real keyboard and mouse connected.
    Ends computer lockup due to loss of KVM focus
    Prevents computer damage from keyboard failure
    Hotplugging of keyboard and mouse
    Keyboardless boot and run
    Non-powered - uses computer's keyboard power source

    None of the above, simply unplug / plugin cables as needed.

    Me
    why?, Sep 10, 2005
  7. Mobius

    Mobius Guest

    > On Fri, 9 Sep 2005 22:23:34 -0500, "Mobius" <com DOT yahoo AT
    > m0b1us0099> wrote:
    >
    >>I've got a computer that I'd like to leave running all the time (WinXP).
    >>I'd
    >>like to use a PS2-USB adapter for this so I can unplug the keyboard &
    >>mouse
    >>when not needed (I'd run the system by remote software most of the time
    >>anyway).
    >>
    >>Can this be done reliably enough to work?

    > It's done all the time, in 1 form or another.
    >
    > A KVM switch, provides KM emulation , saves the worry you mentioned
    > about damage to mobo and the point about mixing connectors.
    >
    > One of these sort of things , a single port PS/2 KM emulator,
    > http://www.aten.com/products/produc...&psid=20050107105128001&pid=20050224170053005
    > PS/2 Emulator
    > Simply plug the CV-100KM into any computer and its onboard
    > microprocessor emulates an actual keyboard and mouse! Operate and boot
    > normally with or without a real keyboard and mouse connected.
    > Ends computer lockup due to loss of KVM focus
    > Prevents computer damage from keyboard failure
    > Hotplugging of keyboard and mouse
    > Keyboardless boot and run
    > Non-powered - uses computer's keyboard power source
    >

    > None of the above, simply unplug / plugin cables as needed.

    Thanks...if I go this rout I'll use this...now its just a question of
    cost...is it easier to pay or just to stick the keyboard/mouse behind the
    system against the wall.
    Mobius, Sep 12, 2005
  8. Mobius

    why? Guest

    On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 22:34:30 -0500, "Mobius" <com DOT yahoo AT
    m0b1us0099> wrote:

    >> On Fri, 9 Sep 2005 22:23:34 -0500, "Mobius" <com DOT yahoo AT
    >> m0b1us0099> wrote:
    >>
    >>>I've got a computer that I'd like to leave running all the time (WinXP).
    >>>I'd
    >>>like to use a PS2-USB adapter for this so I can unplug the keyboard &
    >>>mouse
    >>>when not needed (I'd run the system by remote software most of the time
    >>>anyway).

    <snip>

    >> One of these sort of things , a single port PS/2 KM emulator,
    >> http://www.aten.com/products/produc...&psid=20050107105128001&pid=20050224170053005
    >> PS/2 Emulator
    >> Simply plug the CV-100KM into any computer and its onboard
    >> microprocessor emulates an actual keyboard and mouse! Operate and boot

    <snip>

    >Thanks...if I go this rout I'll use this...now its just a question of
    >cost...is it easier to pay or just to stick the keyboard/mouse behind the
    >system against the wall.

    The benefit of the emulator was automatically rebooted systems, without
    getting errors, when it wasn't always possible to tell the POST to not
    halt.

    The cost was to the customer, for home I might consider using 1, however
    what I tend to do nowdays is run PS/2 extension cables for KM round to
    the front of the box. Still a cost initially, until I had enough but
    very handy.

    Me
    why?, Sep 12, 2005