    measekite Guest

    IS LR now or is it intended to be better for photos and have the same or
    better features than PS?
    measekite, Jan 16, 2009

  2. measekite

    aquadiver Guest

    On Jan 16, 9:56 am, "David J. Littleboy" <> wrote:
    > "measekite" <> wrote:
    > > IS LR now or is it intended to be better for photos and have the same or
    > > better features than PS?

    > LR is a very different beast than PS: LR is a raw converter with integrated
    > image management whereas PS is an image editor with kludged on raw converter
    > and image management functions.
    >
    > Of course, LR can be seen as being a subset of PS, since PS comes with ACR.
    >
    > --
    > David J. Littleboy
    > Tokyo, Japan

    kludged??

    gc
    aquadiver, Jan 16, 2009

  3. measekite

    Matt Ion Guest

    measekite wrote:
    > IS LR now or is it intended to be better for photos and have the same or
    > better features than PS?

    Different tools with different target markets. Might as well ask if a
    hammer is a replacement for a saw.
    Matt Ion, Jan 16, 2009
  4. measekite

    Dave Cohen Guest

    D.Mac wrote:

    > "measekite" <> wrote in message
    >> IS LR now or is it intended to be better for photos and have the same or
    >> better features than PS?

    > Perhaps this will help:
    >
    > Photoshop is a program capable of creating art. Able to do extreme
    > alterations to photo images.
    >
    > Lightroom is to a photographer what a darkroom and enlarger used to be
    > to photographers last century.
    >
    > Lightroom 2 has some modern day improvements to what you can do during
    > the process of developing digital images and enhancing them for
    > printing. Basically it is a "Photographer's tool".
    >
    > Photoshop could be a digital artists tool and can be used at the point
    > where Lightroom has no further ability to work. Use it then to recover
    > near disaster images or make art photos like this:
    > http://www.brisbaneweddingphotographers.com/images/child-mother.jpg
    >
    > Douglas

    That's a very nice rendition, but how much is it due to PS as opposed to
    the skill of operator. I couldn't reproduce that in either PhotoPlus,
    PSP 9 or Elements 6 and if I owned PS you could probably add that to the
    list. I can do a reasonably good job at correcting what I shoot but I'm
    no artist. My guess is there are books or web pages that could be helpful.
    But Douglas, I think you've missed a wider message here. The op seems
    like a nice enough guy but he has a query a day ranging from what camera
    he should buy to the lens that would do his purchase justice and now to
    what software he should use to manipulate his yet to be taken images. So
    I think responses are for discussion among the responders rather than
    seriously answering a unique query. In fairness to the op, the ensuing
    discussion generated by his posts can be a mixture of provocative and
    informative, your post is the latter.
    Dave Cohen
    Dave Cohen
    Dave Cohen, Jan 17, 2009
  5. measekite

    Bob AZ Guest

    Use it then to recover near
    > disaster images or make art photos like this:http://www.brisbaneweddingphotographers.com/images/child-mother.jpg
    >
    > Douglas

    Douglas

    I saved your Mother & Daughter image to guide me on doing an image
    similar to this of a couple I know.

    Any pointers to get started? I have Photoshop Elements 2.0 and 7.0 on
    the way.

    Thanks for the opportunity to enjoy a nice image.

    Bob AZ
    Bob AZ, Jan 17, 2009
  6. measekite

    Paul Furman Guest

    Dave Cohen wrote:
    > D.Mac wrote:
    >>

    >> "measekite" <> wrote in message
    >>> IS LR now or is it intended to be better for photos and have the same or
    >>> better features than PS?

    >> Perhaps this will help:
    >>
    >> Photoshop is a program capable of creating art. Able to do extreme
    >> alterations to photo images.
    >>
    >> Lightroom is to a photographer what a darkroom and enlarger used to be
    >> to photographers last century.
    >>
    >> Lightroom 2 has some modern day improvements to what you can do during
    >> the process of developing digital images and enhancing them for
    >> printing. Basically it is a "Photographer's tool".
    >>
    >> Photoshop could be a digital artists tool and can be used at the point
    >> where Lightroom has no further ability to work. Use it then to
    >> recover near disaster images or make art photos like this:
    >> http://www.brisbaneweddingphotographers.com/images/child-mother.jpg
    >>
    >> Douglas
    >>

    > That's a very nice rendition,

    Look good and that could be done in Lightroom also with the vignettes tool.

    --
    Paul Furman
    www.edgehill.net

    Paul Furman, Jan 17, 2009
  7. measekite

    D.Mac Guest

    D.Mac, Jan 17, 2009
  8. measekite

    ASAAR Guest

    On Sat, 17 Jan 2009 00:25:28 +0900, David J. Littleboy wrote:

    >> LR is a very different beast than PS: LR is a raw converter with
    >> integrated image management whereas PS is an image editor
    >> with kludged on raw converter and image management functions.
    >>
    >> Of course, LR can be seen as being a subset of PS, since PS comes
    >> with ACR.

    > kludged??
    > >>>>>>>>>>>>>>

    > KLUGE (kloodj) alt. KLUDGE [from the German "kluge", clever] n. 1.
    > A Rube Goldberg device in hardware or software. 2. A clever programming
    > trick intended to solve a particular nasty case in an efficient, if not clear,
    > manner. Often used to repair bugs. Often verges on being a crock. 3.
    > Something that works for the wrong reason. 4. v. To insert a kluge into a
    > program. "I've kluged this routine to get around that weird bug, but there's
    > probably a better way." Also KLUGE UP. 5. KLUGE AROUND: To avoid by
    > inserting a kluge. 6. (WPI) A feature which is implemented in a RUDE manner.

    Ah, kluges, I remember them well. And last but not least,
    although pronounced quite differently :

    > Die Kluge (The Wise Woman), a German fairy tale opera by Carl Orff

    which is based on "Die Kluge Bauerntochter" (the Clever Young
    Woman and the King) by the Brothers Grimm, and more familiarly known
    for his "Carmina Burana" and "Der Mond".

    http://www.amazon.com/review/product/B00000DO6Y
    ASAAR, Jan 17, 2009
  9. measekite

    ASAAR Guest

    On Fri, 16 Jan 2009 07:44:33 -0800, Matt Ion sung out:

    > measekite wrote:
    >> IS LR now or is it intended to be better for photos and have the same or
    >> better features than PS?

    > Different tools with different target markets. Might as well ask if a
    > hammer is a replacement for a saw.

    Of course it is. When you tire of sawing in the evening, all over
    this land, you can continue with a hammer, without missing a beat.
    ASAAR, Jan 17, 2009
  10. measekite

    D.Mac Guest

    "Bob AZ" <> wrote in message
    > Use it then to recover near
    >> disaster images or make art photos like
    >> this:http://www.brisbaneweddingphotographers.com/images/child-mother.jpg
    >>
    >> Douglas

    > Douglas
    >
    > I saved your Mother & Daughter image to guide me on doing an image
    > similar to this of a couple I know.
    >
    > Any pointers to get started? I have Photoshop Elements 2.0 and 7.0 on
    > the way.
    >
    > Thanks for the opportunity to enjoy a nice image.
    >
    > Bob AZ

    Hi Bob, I'm glad you like it.
    One day when I have nothing else to do, I'll do a quick and dirty U-tube
    tutorial on the process.

    I used the marquee tool to create a circle and feathered the edges by about
    150 (8 megapixel image) then deleted the background. I used the erase tool
    with zero hardness to clean it up a bit and made it a mono image.

    Really simple if you saw it done. Sadly too many people on Usenet who would
    gain from me making available segments of my photo videos have to miss out
    because of a few nasty bastards who can't stand to think someone might be
    able to do what they can't.

    I also turned that image into a "charcoal" drawing look alike.
    http://www.weddingsnportraits.com.au/images/child-mother.jpg. I
    affectionately refer to these as "faux charcoal". Also pretty easy if
    someone shows you how it's done.

    Douglas
    D.Mac, Jan 18, 2009
  11. measekite

    D.Mac Guest

    "Dave Cohen" <> wrote in message
    > D.Mac wrote:
    >>

    >> "measekite" <> wrote in message
    >>> IS LR now or is it intended to be better for photos and have the same or
    >>> better features than PS?

    >> Perhaps this will help:
    >>
    >> Photoshop is a program capable of creating art. Able to do extreme
    >> alterations to photo images.
    >>
    >> Lightroom is to a photographer what a darkroom and enlarger used to be to
    >> photographers last century.
    >>
    >> Lightroom 2 has some modern day improvements to what you can do during
    >> the process of developing digital images and enhancing them for printing.
    >> Basically it is a "Photographer's tool".
    >>
    >> Photoshop could be a digital artists tool and can be used at the point
    >> where Lightroom has no further ability to work. Use it then to recover
    >> near disaster images or make art photos like this:
    >> http://www.brisbaneweddingphotographers.com/images/child-mother.jpg
    >>
    >> Douglas
    >>

    > That's a very nice rendition, but how much is it due to PS as opposed to
    > the skill of operator. I couldn't reproduce that in either PhotoPlus, PSP
    > 9 or Elements 6 and if I owned PS you could probably add that to the list.
    > I can do a reasonably good job at correcting what I shoot but I'm no
    > artist. My guess is there are books or web pages that could be helpful.
    > But Douglas, I think you've missed a wider message here. The op seems like
    > a nice enough guy but he has a query a day ranging from what camera he
    > should buy to the lens that would do his purchase justice and now to what
    > software he should use to manipulate his yet to be taken images. So I
    > think responses are for discussion among the responders rather than
    > seriously answering a unique query. In fairness to the op, the ensuing
    > discussion generated by his posts can be a mixture of provocative and
    > informative, your post is the latter.
    > Dave Cohen
    > Dave Cohen

    You probably under estimate yourself Dave.
    True, I use Photoshop and Lightroom on a daily basis and probably over
    estimate what other can do with them. I know learning a visual computer art
    from a book is hopeless. If you saw someone do that image, You'd probably
    ask yourself why you couldn't.

    It's all in the ability to retain information. I (or dozens of other PS
    users) could show you in a few minutes but when it comes time for you to
    repeat it, it depends on how well you can remember what you saw, if you can
    repeat it.

    I have a lot of videos I made and more I'm making eventually destined for my
    web site in the hope people benefiting from them will buy my tutorials.
    Many, many months away before it happens Maybe even next year because of
    business commitments. I gave my business to my daughter but find now I have
    to do exactly what I gave it to her to avoid!

    Simple enough routines like the one that made that particular image will be
    free to watch when it eventually gets done.

    I think any post that produces a result not intended to start a fight is
    worth responding to, regardless of who made the post. In another group A
    fellow makes almost hourly posts trying to do this but somehow ends up
    getting flamed for it.

    Douglas
    D.Mac, Jan 18, 2009