    file management heavily integrated ? Is this feature as miserable on the
    Apple Mac as well (I use both PC and MAC). Thanks
    Dennis
    DB4, Nov 6, 2006

  2. DB4

    Doug Robbins Guest

    PSE 5 is out now.

    Doug Robbins, Nov 6, 2006

  3. DB4

    DB4 Guest

    Thanks for that Doug.
    I appreciate PS 5 has recently been released but I wouldn't be considering
    it yet until a few people had bought it and could give honest reviews on it.
    There seems to be a LOT of feedback on Amazon and the like with respect to
    PS 4 but much of it conflicting (solid five stars to disapointed 1 stars).
    I'm guessing this may reflect the capability (or settings) of the machines
    people are trying to run it on?
    Regards
    Dennis

    DB4, Nov 6, 2006
  4. DB4

    Andy Hewitt Guest

    DB4 <> wrote:

    > Hi
    >
    > Looking to buy PS Elements but the reviews on elements 4 seem very mixed -
    > particularly with respect to the file management slowing systems down.
    > Anyone experienced this? Can it be used as an image editor only and use
    > other (Iview Media) file management software alongside it or is the default
    > file management heavily integrated ? Is this feature as miserable on the
    > Apple Mac as well (I use both PC and MAC). Thanks
    > Dennis

    I found the organising tools very fiddly and poor myself. You
    essentially set it up in a folder hierarchy first.

    However, you can intergrate it as an editor with most other organisation
    apps - for certain iPhoto and Aperture work well. I don't know about
    iView.

    I have just got Aperture, and for general photo editing and basic
    corrections I never run Elements at all. You only need it when you get
    more creative. The Levels tool in Aperture is far better than the one in
    Elements.

    --
    Andy Hewitt
    <http://web.mac.com/andrewhewitt1/>
    Andy Hewitt, Nov 6, 2006
  5. DB4

    Ronald Hands Guest

    DB4 wrote:

    > I appreciate PS 5 has recently been released but I wouldn't be considering
    > it yet until a few people had bought it and could give honest reviews on it.

    There's an adobe forum for PSE: lots of experts and lots of good advice.
    Also, if you have broadband, you can download a 30-day trial of the
    full PSE 5.0 and see what you think.

    -- Ron
    Ronald Hands, Nov 6, 2006
  6. DB4

    chris Guest

    I got PSE 4 because I was sick to death of PSE 3 playing up under
    Tiger. I have had it for a couple of months and it seems to work
    great! It comes with Bridge which is hideously slow on my 1.33 G4
    iBook but I don't use it with Bridge so I don't care.

    I use it with iView Mediapro 3.1 and it works superbly set up as a
    Helper app

    Cheers

    Chris

    chris, Nov 7, 2006
  7. > Looking to buy PS Elements but the reviews on elements 4 seem very
    > mixed - particularly with respect to the file management slowing
    > systems down. Anyone experienced this? Can it be used as an image
    > editor only and use other (Iview Media) file management software
    > alongside it or is the default file management heavily integrated ?

    I use PSE 4 as an image editor only. MS-Windows organizes the photo files
    well enough by itself. Works for me, anyhow.
    MyVeryOwnSelf, Nov 7, 2006
  8. DB4

    Ron Hunter Guest

    DB4 wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > Looking to buy PS Elements but the reviews on elements 4 seem very mixed -
    > particularly with respect to the file management slowing systems down.
    > Anyone experienced this? Can it be used as an image editor only and use
    > other (Iview Media) file management software alongside it or is the default
    > file management heavily integrated ? Is this feature as miserable on the
    > Apple Mac as well (I use both PC and MAC). Thanks
    > Dennis

    It is integrated, but one can disable whatever parts he doesn't want to
    use. The editing facilities are great!
    I have some serious concerns about the usability of the organizer.
    Ron Hunter, Nov 7, 2006
  9. DB4

    Ron Hunter Guest

    DB4 wrote:
    > Thanks for that Doug.
    > I appreciate PS 5 has recently been released but I wouldn't be considering
    > it yet until a few people had bought it and could give honest reviews on it.
    > There seems to be a LOT of feedback on Amazon and the like with respect to
    > PS 4 but much of it conflicting (solid five stars to disapointed 1 stars).
    > I'm guessing this may reflect the capability (or settings) of the machines
    > people are trying to run it on?
    > Regards
    > Dennis

    I don't have PS4 or PS5, but have found that PS3 really needs a powerful
    machine to work well. I run it on my HP Laptop when on trips, and it is
    ok for downloading pictures from my camera, and for minor editing, but
    for serious editing, I wait until I get back to my AMD 64 3700+ machine
    to do the heavy editing. The difference is quite noticeable.
    Ron Hunter, Nov 7, 2006