    --
    Terry
    Remove the rodent from my email address to reply directly.

    Terry, Nov 5, 2004

  2. Terry

    Drifter Guest

    On Thu, 4 Nov 2004 20:53:46 -0500, "Terry" <>
    wrote:

    >I am opening Canon RAW files with Canon software. I convert these to tif
    >files and save to a folder in "My Pictures". I open the tifs in Photo Shop
    >5.0. I crop the photo with PS, and everything looks fine. I save a copy of
    >the cropped tif image. When I look at the original vs the cropped image in
    >"My Pictures" in windows, the cropped image looks MUCH darker. Is cropping
    >with Photo Shop making my images darker? Why? This makes no sense to me.
    >I have tried converting from RAW to tif in both 8 and 16 bit mode, and it
    >seems to makeno difference. The uncropped saved tif looks fine in Windows.
    >Only the cropped image looks darker. Can somebody help me with this?
    >Thanks. This is very frustrating.

    Don't have photoshop 5, but tried a similar thing with photoshop CS.
    Couldn't duplicate your issue so I really have no idea. Sorry :(

    Maybe if you tried a different converter and see what happens?

    Drifter
    "I've been here, I've been there..."

    Drifter, Nov 5, 2004

  3. I do much the same...Oly RAW to PSD (why do you do TIF?) and I do not have
    this problem. Sounds like some sort of auto levels command...some program
    have it...but with PS you have to ask for it as far as I have ever seen. I
    use PS CS but that should not make a difference. Sorry...no reason for it
    that I can see. Both files are treated the same and viewed the same? Do they
    look different in PS?

    Gene Palmiter, Nov 5, 2004
  4. Terry

    Mark M Guest

    "Terry" <> wrote in message
    > I am opening Canon RAW files with Canon software. I convert these to tif
    > files and save to a folder in "My Pictures". I open the tifs in Photo

    Shop
    > 5.0. I crop the photo with PS, and everything looks fine. I save a copy

    of
    > the cropped tif image. When I look at the original vs the cropped image

    in
    > "My Pictures" in windows, the cropped image looks MUCH darker. Is

    cropping
    > with Photo Shop making my images darker? Why? This makes no sense to me.
    > I have tried converting from RAW to tif in both 8 and 16 bit mode, and it
    > seems to makeno difference. The uncropped saved tif looks fine in

    Windows.
    > Only the cropped image looks darker. Can somebody help me with this?
    > Thanks. This is very frustrating.

    As unlikely as it sounds, this could be an optical illusion--depending on
    the image.

    To rule that out, take a picture of a solid color.
    Then compare the crop to the original.
    If it's darker, then you've got a problem.
    It will not surprise me if you're eyes are fooling you.

    Mark M, Nov 5, 2004
  5. Terry

    Terry Guest

    The Canon software gives me the option of converting to tif or jpg. I
    cannot open RAW with the old 5.0 I am moving up to PS CS after the first of
    the year so I can open the RAW files directly without the Canon interface.
    Meanwhile this seems to be the only problem I have.

    Terry, Nov 5, 2004
  6. Terry

    Terry Guest

    The pictures are definitely darker on my monitor when I use Windows to view
    them. They look the same in PS. I am going to have prints made and see if
    their is a difference. Thanks for your suggestion

    Terry, Nov 5, 2004
  7. Terry wrote:
    > The pictures are definitely darker on my monitor when I use Windows
    > to view them. They look the same in PS. I am going to have prints
    > made and see if their is a difference. Thanks for your suggestion

    I'm wondering if this could be due to a monitor gamma setting mismatch
    in Photoshop? PS has its own gamma preference options separate from
    those in Windows; I remember having a similar problem a couple years ago
    when I first started using Photoshop - not with RAW files, but I noticed
    that after tweaking an image in PS and saving, it would look darker in
    any other viewer program.

    Bob ^,,^

    Bob Harrington, Nov 5, 2004
  8. Terry

    Bill Hilton Guest

    >From: "Terry"

    >The pictures are definitely darker on my monitor when I use Windows to view
    >them. They look the same in PS.

    Photoshop is a "Color Managed" application in the sense that it uses your
    monitor ICC profile and any tags in the image file, say AdobeRGB or sRGB using
    the ICC color workflow. Your Windows viewer might not be color managed.

    Possibly you are adding a working space tag like AdobeRGB when you open the
    file with the RAW converter (I surely hope so). This can make the file look
    different in different non-color managed apps.

    Bill Hilton, Nov 5, 2004