    connect it toone of the serial ports but it isn't recognized. I borrowed an
    old serial port mouse (hard wired/no adapter) and it works just fine. I'm
    wondering why the PS/2 mouse isn't seen as a serial mouse with the adapter?
    strand, Apr 10, 2004

  2. strand

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "strand" <> wrote in message
    news:9A_dc.43380$...
    > The mobo has a loose/problematic PS/2 mouse port. I bought an adapter to
    > connect it toone of the serial ports but it isn't recognized. I borrowed

    an
    > old serial port mouse (hard wired/no adapter) and it works just fine. I'm
    > wondering why the PS/2 mouse isn't seen as a serial mouse with the

    adapter?

    I'm sorry - I can't see your mouse from here...could you move it a little
    closer so I can see the make and model? And turn up the brightness on your
    display so I can see what operating system you have installed?

    T.T.
    Toolman Tim, Apr 11, 2004

  3. strand

    philo Guest

    "strand" <> wrote in message
    > The mobo has a loose/problematic PS/2 mouse port. I bought an adapter to
    > connect it toone of the serial ports but it isn't recognized. I borrowed

    an
    > old serial port mouse (hard wired/no adapter) and it works just fine. I'm
    > wondering why the PS/2 mouse isn't seen as a serial mouse with the

    adapter?

    those adaptors work *only* if the mouse was specifically designed to work as
    either serial or ps/2 most are not so designed!
    philo, Apr 11, 2004
  4. strand

    strand Guest

    compaq mouse (not a compaq 'puter) and win98se

    --
    xx

    strand, Apr 11, 2004
  5. strand

    strand Guest

    > > The mobo has a loose/problematic PS/2 mouse port. I bought an adapter

    > > connect it toone of the serial ports but it isn't recognized. I borrowed

    > an
    > > old serial port mouse (hard wired/no adapter) and it works just fine.

    I'm
    > > wondering why the PS/2 mouse isn't seen as a serial mouse with the

    > adapter?
    > >

    > those adaptors work *only* if the mouse was specifically designed to work

    as
    > either serial or ps/2 most are not so designed!

    Are you saying that some PS/2 mice are 'designed' to able to be used as a
    serial mouse with one of these ps/2> serial adapters ?
    strand, Apr 11, 2004
  6. strand

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Well, it probably is the age of the mouse. Compaq mice are usually made by
    Logitech. Some of their mice will do serial/PS2 (or PS2/USB), but not all.
    There are converters to USB out there (keyboard/mouse into a cable into your
    USB port) but that would probably cost as much as a new mouse.

    Tim

    Toolman Tim, Apr 11, 2004
  7. strand

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "strand" <> wrote in message

    > > > The mobo has a loose/problematic PS/2 mouse port. I bought an adapter

    > > > connect it toone of the serial ports but it isn't recognized. I

    borrowed
    > > an
    > > > old serial port mouse (hard wired/no adapter) and it works just fine.

    > I'm
    > > > wondering why the PS/2 mouse isn't seen as a serial mouse with the

    > > adapter?
    > > >

    > > those adaptors work *only* if the mouse was specifically designed to

    work
    > as
    > > either serial or ps/2 most are not so designed!
    > >

    > Are you saying that some PS/2 mice are 'designed' to able to be used as a
    > serial mouse with one of these ps/2> serial adapters ?

    Yep - mine came that way. And new ones come USB/PS2. I have them at work.
    But it's at the hardware level inside the mouse. Just adding an external
    adapter won't change a non-dual mouse.

    Toolman
    Toolman Tim, Apr 11, 2004
  8. strand

    Plato Guest

    strand wrote:

    > The mobo has a loose/problematic PS/2 mouse port. I bought an adapter to
    > connect it toone of the serial ports but it isn't recognized. I borrowed an
    > old serial port mouse (hard wired/no adapter) and it works just fine. I'm
    > wondering why the PS/2 mouse isn't seen as a serial mouse with the adapter?

    Because the ps/2 mouse is not a ps/2/serial mouse.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
    Plato, Apr 11, 2004
  9. strand

    Plato Guest

    philo wrote:

    > those adaptors work *only* if the mouse was specifically designed to work as
    > either serial or ps/2 most are not so designed!

    Right.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
    Plato, Apr 11, 2004
  10. strand

    Barry OGrady Guest

    On Sat, 10 Apr 2004 18:31:05 -0400, "strand" <> wrote:

    >The mobo has a loose/problematic PS/2 mouse port. I bought an adapter to
    >connect it toone of the serial ports but it isn't recognized. I borrowed an
    >old serial port mouse (hard wired/no adapter) and it works just fine. I'm
    >wondering why the PS/2 mouse isn't seen as a serial mouse with the adapter?

    To work with an adapter it must be comaptable with both PS/2 and serial.

    -Barry
    ========
    Barry OGrady, Apr 11, 2004
  11. strand

    Mike S. Guest

    In article <>,
    philo <> wrote:

    >"strand" <> wrote in message
    >> The mobo has a loose/problematic PS/2 mouse port. I bought an adapter to
    >> connect it toone of the serial ports but it isn't recognized. I borrowed

    >an
    >> old serial port mouse (hard wired/no adapter) and it works just fine. I'm
    >> wondering why the PS/2 mouse isn't seen as a serial mouse with the

    >adapter?
    >>

    >those adaptors work *only* if the mouse was specifically designed to work as
    >either serial or ps/2 most are not so designed!

    **AND** the adaptor is being used with the mouse it was designed **FOR**.
    Mike S., Apr 12, 2004