    comcast?

    the number i have was mine number from verizon?

    thanks
    steve, Mar 7, 2005

  2. steve

    Rick Merrill Guest

    steve wrote:
    > is it possible to port a number from say att call vatange to vonage or
    > comcast?
    >
    > the number i have was mine number from verizon?
    >
    > thanks

    At any given moment it is Not possible to port from ANY provider to ANY
    provider. It is possible to port form MOST providers to MOST providers
    at any time. Ask the one you are thinking of moving to what they can do,
    then check with 'usenet' to see what the experience has been. I could
    tell you my horror story - but I won't!-)
    Rick Merrill, Mar 7, 2005

  3. steve

    Lucas Tam Guest

    "steve" <> wrote in news::

    > is it possible to port a number from say att call vatange to vonage or
    > comcast?
    >
    > the number i have was mine number from verizon?

    Some providers support number portability... but I heard it's a hassle at
    the moment - numbers can take months to get transferred.

    --
    Lucas Tam ()
    Lucas Tam, Mar 7, 2005
  4. >is it possible to port a number from say att call vatange to vonage or
    >comcast?

    For one datapoint, I ported my Vonage number to Lingo last month with
    no trouble at all. It took about a week. The underlying carriers are
    Paetec for Vonage and ACC National for Lingo.

    Perhaps if Vonage had noticed they would have objected, but since
    they've ignored all my attempts to communicate with them in the past
    three months (which is why I dumped them), I'm not surprised.
    John R. Levine, Mar 7, 2005
  5. steve

    sTj Guest

    John R. Levine wrote:
    >>is it possible to port a number from say att call vatange to vonage or
    >>comcast?

    > For one datapoint, I ported my Vonage number to Lingo last month with
    > no trouble at all. It took about a week. The underlying carriers are
    > Paetec for Vonage and ACC National for Lingo.
    >
    > Perhaps if Vonage had noticed they would have objected, but since
    > they've ignored all my attempts to communicate with them in the past
    > three months (which is why I dumped them), I'm not surprised.

    Lingo uses Level3 Communications, and as far as porting goes, so long as
    the number is a primary number on an account there shouldn't ever be an
    issue. If a VoIP service really wanted to get technical then they would
    bring up the fact that there are no TRUE phone numbers on a VoIP service
    so nothing is ever portable. As far as the backend servers are
    concerned, your SIP username is your phone number and the rest are
    virtual numbers on your account.
    Regardless, Lingo to Vonage works, Vonage to Lingo works, I've seen
    porting take place all over the spectrum. Just remember that a
    successful port can take over a month to complete successfully. If
    you're not willing to wait that long, or to risk the possibility of the
    port being turned down, then I wouldn't bother.
    sTj, Mar 9, 2005