    Prefer something with a trial period so I can validate it is indeed
    allowing anonymous operation when browsing.

    Any thoughts?
    Jrtwine, Aug 3, 2005

  2. In article <>,
    Jrtwine <> wrote:
    :Can you recommend a proxy service that allows one to browse with
    :Netscape or IE without ones IP address being distributed?

    Such a thing cannot exist. One's IP address *must* be 'distributed'
    at least as far as the proxy service.

    One then must ask how much one trusts the proxy service operators.
    If the answer is "Like with any other vendor, I trust that when
    I pay money for the service that the service will be provided",
    then unfortunately your trust may be misplaced. It is known that
    some of the proxy operators are run -directly- by some of the
    intelligence agencies; known that others are various degrees
    of clandestine remove from intelligence agencies; and it is
    strongly suspected that some of the others are run by criminal
    organizations.

    By no means am I saying that *all* proxy services are frauds, but
    you must be very careful -- and you wouldn't necessarily know.

    A couple of other notes:

    - Use of anonymous proxy services from corporate hosts is often
    a violation of the corporate IT regulations;

    - You appear to be somewhere in the USA: I suggest you think about
    the dynamics of anonymous proxy services, intelligence agencies,
    and The Patriot Act.

    I am not well versed in available proxy services, but I would suggest
    to you that you would find more detailed answers in one of the privacy
    newsgroups such as alt.privacy or comp.privacy
    -- Christopher Priest
    Walter Roberson, Aug 3, 2005

  3. Jrtwine

    BNAZ Guest

    Jrtwine wrote:

    > Can you recommend a proxy service that allows one to browse with
    > Netscape or IE without ones IP address being distributed? I am running
    > my PC through a Linksys router (BEFSX41) and cable modem .
    >
    > I have experimented with a trial version of Proxyway (proxyway.com) but
    > each time I run a "privacy test", it returns the ISP cable modem
    > assigned IP address which clearly identifies my node and location.

    Try tor (http://tor.eff.org/) along with privoxy, I worked quite well when I
    messed around with it before.

    BNAZ, Aug 4, 2005