    The help would be great,
    Nick
    , Nov 28, 2007

  2. Mike Easter Guest

    wrote:

    > I was trying to find out how to use proxy servers and proxy programs
    > recently.
    > Today I uninstalled the program and now my internet browser doesn't
    > work at all.

    This is where you are supposed to tell what program you installed and
    what version/operating system you are using. Mozilla firefox comes in
    versions for linux, mac as well as win. Don't assume that we should
    think you are using WinXP.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Nov 28, 2007

  3. why? Guest

    On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 01:03:53 -0800 (PST), wrote:

    >I'm hoping this is a place where I can get help for internet and
    >computer problems...
    >
    >I hope.
    >
    >I was trying to find out how to use proxy servers and proxy programs
    >recently.

    For the right reasons or just messing about?

    >Today I uninstalled the program and now my internet browser doesn't

    The program has a name?

    >work at all.
    >
    >I'm using Mozilla Firefox 2.0 and even when I start it up, my homepage
    >gives me a error message that I can't connect the site's server.

    If you try to ping the hostname by IP or name what happens?

    >I attempted to fix it and I've followed the instructions by changing
    >the connection type so that Firefox connects directly to the net, but
    >it still doesn't make a difference.

    At least you got that bit, does another browser work or fail?

    IIRC FF doesn't do multiple profiles, what about if you login as another
    user and try FF.

    <snip>

    Me
    why?, Nov 28, 2007
  4. Klaatu01 Guest

    On Nov 28, 4:03 am, wrote:
    ~{snip}~
    > I'm using Mozilla Firefox 2.0 and even when I start it up, my homepage
    > gives me a error message that I can't connect the site's server.

    Nick,

    There is some relatively easy troubleshooting you can do to confirm
    whether Firefox is "broken" or not, and the first thing is attempting
    to load a web page using its IP Address. So here are a few relevant
    ones to try:

    www.yahoo.com - 69.147.114.210
    www.symantec.com - 72.215.224.112 ~or~ 72.215.224.120
    www.mozilla.org - 63.245.209.11

    So, load them this way (for example):
    http://72.215.224.120/

    (you may also need to try "https://" depending on your connectivity
    circumstances)

    If these load than you know the problem is "DNS resolution" (Domain
    Name Service) rather then a "broken" browser.

    Is the computer being used Windows XP, (some flavor of) Linux or what?
    Klaatu01, Nov 28, 2007
  5. Plato Guest

    wrote:

    > I was trying to find out how to use proxy servers and proxy programs
    > recently.

    Why bother. Anything you do, even using a proxy server, is recorded for
    eternity.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
    Plato, Nov 29, 2007