    It might help to know that Adsubtract is a popup, cookie, animation etc
    blocker. For reference, see Adsubtract.com. Thanks for any advice.

    mad scientist

    mad scientist, Oct 26, 2004

  2. mad scientist

    Quivis Guest

    In article <>,
    says...

    > Trying to configure Mozilla 1.7.3 to work with Adsubtract. When I set
    > up the proxy, Mozilla acts like it cannot see the connection to the
    > internet. Naturally, the adsubtract help screen says it only officially
    > supports use with IE. 1.7.3 worked fine with adsubtract on a previous
    > pc running win98. New pc running xp. Both pc's have AMD processors.
    > The apps haven't changed, only the pc itself and os. Have any issues
    > been reported with Mozilla proxies in the xp environment?
    >
    > It might help to know that Adsubtract is a popup, cookie, animation etc
    > blocker. For reference, see Adsubtract.com. Thanks for any advice.

    Not knowing what "Adsubtract" is, I'm guessing it's a filter for ads.
    That being said, have you considered trying some other type of blocker,
    one that doesn't use a proxy?

    This one comes to my mind:
    http://adblock.mozdev.org/

    Very easy to add/remove entries from it, or to change them, should you
    want to.

    If you still want to use a proxy type filter, I'd suggest Junkbusters'
    proxy blocker. I used it before, when I still was stumbling around in
    the dark using IE. It's a stand alone proxy (DOS app).
    Read more about it here:
    http://www.junkbusters.com/ijb.html

    Blockfiles for it can be downloaded off the 'net. Many publish their
    blockfiles on-line, so those should be easy to find. Google for
    "junkbusters blockfile download" (no quotes!) or something.

    HTH

    Q.

    Quivis, Oct 29, 2004

  3. Thanks for the links, I'll check those out. Did some more tinkering,
    and got it to work. No telling what the difference is.

    mad scientist, Oct 30, 2004
  4. mad scientist

    Hawkeye Guest

    >If you still want to use a proxy type filter, I'd suggest Junkbusters'
    >proxy blocker. I used it before, when I still was stumbling around in
    >the dark using IE. It's a stand alone proxy (DOS app).
    >Read more about it here:
    >http://www.junkbusters.com/ijb.html

    Junkbuster has since evolved into a windows app called Privoxy.
    http://www.privoxy.org

    Hawkeye, Oct 31, 2004