    Forwarding the message form the outbox doesn't show any header
    information other than Date/time sent, From, To & subject.
    All of those can be altered, so proves nothing.
    Matty F, Apr 22, 2009

  2. In message <1580577f-d1d5-4316-
    >, Matty F wrote:

    > Is it possible to prove that you sent an email to someone?

    Not unless you ask them for an acknowledgement.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Apr 23, 2009

  3. Matty F

    Matty F Guest

    On Apr 23, 11:17 am, Puddle <> wrote:
    > Matty F wrote:
    > > Is it possible to prove that you sent an email to someone?
    > > Forwarding the message form the outbox doesn't show any header
    > > information other than Date/time sent, From, To & subject.
    > > All of those can be altered, so proves nothing.

    > Not unless you can get the records from the mail server(s) involved.
    > You could contact the postmaster of their domain and your mail server
    > and ask them to confirm. If they aren't too busy and are nice they
    > might look it up for you :).

    That's what I thought. It's just a couple of TradeMe people who are
    arguing about emails they say they have sent but have not been
    received.
    Matty F, Apr 23, 2009
  4. On Wed, 22 Apr 2009 17:03:51 -0700 (PDT), Matty F
    <> wrote:

    >On Apr 23, 11:17 am, Puddle <> wrote:
    >> Matty F wrote:
    >> > Is it possible to prove that you sent an email to someone?
    >> > Forwarding the message form the outbox doesn't show any header
    >> > information other than Date/time sent, From, To & subject.
    >> > All of those can be altered, so proves nothing.

    >> Not unless you can get the records from the mail server(s) involved.
    >> You could contact the postmaster of their domain and your mail server
    >> and ask them to confirm. If they aren't too busy and are nice they
    >> might look it up for you :).

    >That's what I thought. It's just a couple of TradeMe people who are
    >arguing about emails they say they have sent but have not been
    >received.

    There are lots of ways for emails to go missing after being sent. The
    usual one is for the receiving end to classify it as spam, but there
    are many others. You have to get a reply to be sure anything was
    received.
    Stephen Worthington, Apr 23, 2009
  5. Matty F

    Richard Guest

    Matty F wrote:
    > Is it possible to prove that you sent an email to someone?
    > Forwarding the message form the outbox doesn't show any header
    > information other than Date/time sent, From, To & subject.
    > All of those can be altered, so proves nothing.

    Ask your mail provider for an excerpt of the smtp logs prooving delivery
    to the designated MTA for the domain in question. It should have the
    message id and everything in it.

    My attitude is that people employing spam filters that discard valid
    messages is like hiring a retarded receptionist that is throwing away
    business leads, so its all their fault.
    Richard, Apr 23, 2009
  6. On Wed, 22 Apr 2009 15:38:01 -0700 (PDT), Matty F <> wrote:

    >Is it possible to prove that you sent an email to someone?
    >Forwarding the message form the outbox doesn't show any header
    >information other than Date/time sent, From, To & subject.
    >All of those can be altered, so proves nothing.

    What about sending a cc and/or a bcc at the same time it's sent - send a cc to yourself and a bcc to
    another account. I often send a bcc to a yahoo account [which is easier to access anywhere in
    the world at anytime v my home isp addy].

    As someone has suggested, send it with a read receipt request - but then again, you don't have to
    click on the 'send receipt' button either!

    Cath

    texan....usenet@texas...removethisbit.usacom.., Apr 23, 2009
  7. Matty F

    Matty F Guest

    On Apr 23, 4:55 pm, texan....usenet@texas...removethisbit.usacom..
    wrote:
    > On Wed, 22 Apr 2009 15:38:01 -0700 (PDT), Matty F <> wrote:
    > >Is it possible to prove that you sent an email to someone?
    > >Forwarding the message form the outbox doesn't show any header
    > >information other than Date/time sent, From, To & subject.
    > >All of those can be altered, so proves nothing.

    > What about sending a cc and/or a bcc at the same time it's sent - send a cc to yourself and a bcc to
    > another account. I often send a bcc to a yahoo account [which is easier to access anywhere in
    > the world at anytime v my home isp addy].
    >
    > As someone has suggested, send it with a read receipt request - but then again, you don't have to
    > click on the 'send receipt' button either!

    The TradeMe seller was a moron and had not chosen to use (and was
    probably unaware of) the automatic emailing facility of TradeMe where
    messages are sent through TradeMe and therefore can be easily traced.
    I have just bought some books off TradeMe and neither I nor the seller
    sent any emails. As soon as the auction finished I got an automatic
    message and was able to transfer the money. The seller was
    automatically sent my address and printed my address out for the
    courier.
    Matty F, Apr 23, 2009
  8. In message <>, wrote:

    > What about sending a cc and/or a bcc at the same time it's sent - send a
    > cc to yourself and a bcc to another account.

    Doesn't prove anything. Just because it was received at those accounts
    doesn't mean it was received anywhere else.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Apr 23, 2009
  9. On Thu, 23 Apr 2009 19:30 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <_zealand> wrote:

    >In message <>, wrote:
    >
    >> What about sending a cc and/or a bcc at the same time it's sent - send a
    >> cc to yourself and a bcc to another account.

    >Doesn't prove anything. Just because it was received at those accounts
    >doesn't mean it was received anywhere else.

    True! I am still waiting for 3 emails sent to me about 4 years ago from one of my old boss' in NZ.
    Fortunately the 4th one quering why I hadn't replied made it!

    Cath

    texan....usenet@texas...removethisbit.usacom.., Apr 24, 2009
  10. On Wed, 22 Apr 2009 23:23:44 -0700 (PDT), Matty F <> wrote:

    >On Apr 23, 4:55 pm, texan....usenet@texas...removethisbit.usacom..
    >wrote:
    >> On Wed, 22 Apr 2009 15:38:01 -0700 (PDT), Matty F <> wrote:
    >> >Is it possible to prove that you sent an email to someone?
    >> >Forwarding the message form the outbox doesn't show any header
    >> >information other than Date/time sent, From, To & subject.
    >> >All of those can be altered, so proves nothing.

    >> What about sending a cc and/or a bcc at the same time it's sent - send a cc to yourself and a bcc to
    >> another account. I often send a bcc to a yahoo account [which is easier to access anywhere in
    >> the world at anytime v my home isp addy].
    >>
    >> As someone has suggested, send it with a read receipt request - but then again, you don't have to
    >> click on the 'send receipt' button either!

    >The TradeMe seller was a moron and had not chosen to use (and was
    >probably unaware of) the automatic emailing facility of TradeMe where
    >messages are sent through TradeMe and therefore can be easily traced.
    >I have just bought some books off TradeMe and neither I nor the seller
    >sent any emails. As soon as the auction finished I got an automatic
    >message and was able to transfer the money. The seller was
    >automatically sent my address and printed my address out for the
    >courier.

    Thanks for the info on TradeMe.
    I have a couple of their pages up at the moment - one of my past-times when I have time looking at
    what's around, prices etc.
    Guess I am going to learn their system rather quickly if I start buying.

    Cath

    texan....usenet@texas...removethisbit.usacom.., Apr 24, 2009
  11. Matty F

    Greg Guest

    <> wrote:

    >On Apr 23, 11:17 am, Puddle <> wrote:
    >> Matty F wrote:
    >> > Is it possible to prove that you sent an email to someone?
    >> > Forwarding the message form the outbox doesn't show any header
    >> > information other than Date/time sent, From, To & subject.
    >> > All of those can be altered, so proves nothing.

    >> Not unless you can get the records from the mail server(s) involved.
    >> You could contact the postmaster of their domain and your mail server
    >> and ask them to confirm. If they aren't too busy and are nice they
    >> might look it up for you :).

    >That's what I thought. It's just a couple of TradeMe people who are
    >arguing about emails they say they have sent but have not been
    >received.

    Stay out of it as these trademe people are all obsessive
    Greg, Apr 24, 2009
  12. Matty F

    Richard Guest

    Matty F wrote:
    > On Apr 23, 11:17 am, Puddle <> wrote:
    >> Matty F wrote:
    >>> Is it possible to prove that you sent an email to someone?
    >>> Forwarding the message form the outbox doesn't show any header
    >>> information other than Date/time sent, From, To & subject.
    >>> All of those can be altered, so proves nothing.

    >> Not unless you can get the records from the mail server(s) involved.
    >> You could contact the postmaster of their domain and your mail server
    >> and ask them to confirm. If they aren't too busy and are nice they
    >> might look it up for you :).

    > That's what I thought. It's just a couple of TradeMe people who are
    > arguing about emails they say they have sent but have not been
    > received.

    Trademe users are frequently too stupid to check their ISP mandated spam
    filter that isnt accessable in their mail program because they are using
    POP3 rather than IMAP.

    Anyway, its not worth the problem trying to communicate with them about
    things like that. If they did send it and the recipiant didnt respond
    there are many other avenues to communicate - sending from another
    address, sending a neutral feedback with a please get in touch, etc etc.

    Chances are one of them didnt want to do the trade anymore and went into
    lets be quiet and hope it all just goes away mode...
    Richard, Apr 25, 2009
  13. Matty F

    Matty F Guest

    On Apr 26, 12:37 am, Richard <> wrote:
    > Matty F wrote:

    > > That's what I thought. It's just a couple of TradeMe people who are
    > > arguing about emails they say they have sent but have not been
    > > received.

    > Chances are one of them didnt want to do the trade anymore and went into
    > lets be quiet and hope it all just goes away mode...

    Amazingly the trade has now been completed and both have removed their
    negative feedbacks. Some people don't understand emails and checking
    spam folders etc.
    Matty F, Apr 25, 2009