provider recommendations

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Carl Warnell, Aug 24, 2006.

  1. Carl Warnell

    Carl Warnell Guest

    Having used Skype for some time I'd like to get into "proper" VoIP. I
    have a Draytek Vigor 2900VG router with QoS and a pair of voice ports,
    so I'm looking for a VoIP provider. I'll primarily be using this for
    conference calls when working from home, so the following requirements
    are important:

    Free calls to UK geographic numbers
    Free (or cheap if free isn't possible) calls to Germany and USA
    Incoming calls (geographic preferred)
    *Reliable*
    Post-pay billing preferred rather than buying credits

    As I have two ports it would also be useful if I could have two
    numbers, but this isn't really that important.

    I've looked at Gradwell (I use them for a number of other services)
    but they don't seem to do a calls-inclusive package. Also at Demon
    (they look expensive) and the cheap ones like sipdiscount. Vonage
    could be a possibility, but I've heard there are better packages.

    TIA

    --
    _____ . . <|
    Carl Warnell ' o/ FORE! . . |

    Carl Warnell, Aug 24, 2006

  2. Carl Warnell

    Snøøp¥ Guest

    www.freetalk.co.uk

    --
    Snøøp¥ (Gid Auld Fife)
    Cut ¬THE CR@P¬ To Reply

    Snøøp¥, Aug 25, 2006

  3. Carl Warnell

    pbscott Guest

    lok at draytel.org

    as it is part of draytel, works very well

    pbscott, Aug 26, 2006
  4. Carl Warnell

    Carl Warnell Guest

    On 26 Aug 2006 04:00:44 -0700, "pbscott" <> wrote:

    >lok at draytel.org
    >
    >as it is part of draytel, works very well

    OK, I've signed up with them (got GBP2 free credit with the router)
    and, as you say, it works fine.

    Might also sign up with one of the free lot (sipdiscount, voipbuster,
    etc.) so I don't have to worry about the kids racking up phone bills.
    Anyone know what their "fair use" definition is? It doesn't seem to
    specify on their site or in their T&Cs.

    --
    _____ . . <|
    Carl Warnell ' o/ FORE! . . |

    Carl Warnell, Aug 27, 2006
  5. Carl Warnell

    paul123 Guest

    Carl Warnell wrote:
    > On 26 Aug 2006 04:00:44 -0700, "pbscott" <> wrote:
    >
    > >lok at draytel.org
    > >
    > >as it is part of draytel, works very well

    > OK, I've signed up with them (got GBP2 free credit with the router)
    > and, as you say, it works fine.
    >
    > Might also sign up with one of the free lot (sipdiscount, voipbuster,
    > etc.) so I don't have to worry about the kids racking up phone bills.
    > Anyone know what their "fair use" definition is? It doesn't seem to
    > specify on their site or in their T&Cs.

    300 mins per week to free numbers - it's at the bottom of nearly every
    page on all their websites

    QUOTE:
    * Max 300 minutes per week of free calls, measured over the last 7
    days. Unused free minutes cannot be taken to the following week(s). If
    limit is exceeded, a minimal rate will be charged (as advertised on our
    rates page).

    paul123, Aug 27, 2006
  6. Carl Warnell

    Carl Warnell Guest

    On 27 Aug 2006 10:29:04 -0700, "paul123" <> wrote:

    >300 mins per week to free numbers - it's at the bottom of nearly every
    >page on all their websites

    LOL! The main bit of the page is in a rounded-corner square, which
    just fits on my screen. So I assumed there wasn't any more. But if I
    scroll down the 300 mins/week bit is on there!

    --
    _____ . . <|
    Carl Warnell ' o/ FORE! . . |

    Carl Warnell, Aug 27, 2006
  7. Carl Warnell

    Brian A Guest

    On Sun, 27 Aug 2006 19:25:32 +0100, Carl Warnell <>
    wrote:

    >On 27 Aug 2006 10:29:04 -0700, "paul123" <> wrote:
    >
    >>300 mins per week to free numbers - it's at the bottom of nearly every
    >>page on all their websites

    >LOL! The main bit of the page is in a rounded-corner square, which
    >just fits on my screen. So I assumed there wasn't any more. But if I
    >scroll down the 300 mins/week bit is on there!

    voip.co.uk : £2/month for free off peak UK calls . 2p/call at peak.
    Reliable and good quality. Reliability has to be a factor.
    Granted administration leaves something to be desired.
    improvement.
    Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

    Brian A, Aug 27, 2006
  8. Carl Warnell

    Carl Warnell Guest

    On Sun, 27 Aug 2006 19:21:54 GMT, Brian A
    <> wrote:

    >voip.co.uk : £2/month for free off peak UK calls . 2p/call at peak.
    >Reliable and good quality. Reliability has to be a factor.
    >Granted administration leaves something to be desired.
    >improvement.

    Sounds good. Anyone know if I can configure two SIP providers on a
    single port on the Draytek, or if I need to attach two phones to the
    back (or one phone and a softphone?)

    --
    Carl Warnell ' o/ FORE! . . |

    Carl Warnell, Aug 28, 2006