    Thanks in advance.

    With Rgds,
    BJ

    BJ, Jan 3, 2007

  2. BJ

    Roy G Guest

    "BJ" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am new for online albums. I have few questions about protection of
    > images:
    >
    > 1. Is there any free service comparable to Digimarc?
    >
    > 2. If I will embed some watermark on images, will I be able to track
    > who all are using it (at least online)?
    >
    > 3. Any other methods of copyright protection beside Watermark.
    >
    > Any links will help.
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > With Rgds,
    > BJ

    Hi

    Plagerism is the most sincere form of flattery.

    Roy G

    Roy G, Jan 3, 2007

  3. BJ

    jeremy Guest

    "BJ" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am new for online albums. I have few questions about protection of
    > images:
    >
    > 1. Is there any free service comparable to Digimarc?
    >
    > 2. If I will embed some watermark on images, will I be able to track
    > who all are using it (at least online)?
    >
    > 3. Any other methods of copyright protection beside Watermark.
    >
    > Any links will help.
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > With Rgds,
    > BJ

    Unless you intend to pay expensive lawyers to sue in distant jurisdictions
    for copyright violations, you just may be wasting your time with Digimark.

    I operate several web sites, and I've had good results with just posting
    low-resolution, smaller-sized images. They have no value as prints, and
    even if one of them ends up pirated on someone else's web site, the loss to
    me is minimal.

    Life is too short to spend it pursuing copyright violators--unless the
    compromised images have some unique value. Much as I hate to say this,
    everybody is lifting stuff from everybody these days. If the recording
    industry, with all its' financial and legal resources, is having trouble
    plugging the leaks, how much less can you or I succeed?

    jeremy, Jan 3, 2007
  4. BJ

    Stewy Guest

    In article <>,
    "BJ" <> wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I am new for online albums. I have few questions about protection of
    > images:
    >
    > 1. Is there any free service comparable to Digimarc?
    >
    > 2. If I will embed some watermark on images, will I be able to track
    > who all are using it (at least online)?
    >
    > 3. Any other methods of copyright protection beside Watermark.
    >
    > Any links will help.
    > Thanks in advance.

    I think you will find that 99.9% of the people 'stealing' your
    one-in-a-lifetime-shot wants it because its a great image and use it
    either as wallpaper or screensaver.

    If you want to display pictures online use 800x600 pixels or maybe
    1024x768 at 72 ppi, maximum compression. If they're lucky, these
    'thieves' should be able to make a decent postcard or smaller.

    If you don't want your pictures copied, don't post.

    Stewy, Jan 3, 2007
  5. BJ

    Daryl Bryant Guest

    http://www.digimarc.com/tech/dwm.asp also check out their Steganography
    page.

    Both the Digimarc and visible logos or circled "C" can be removed easily by
    the malicious scum-wads

    some additional info about watermarking -->
    http://digitaljournalist.org/issue0105/heller.htm

    --
    Bing Bang Boom Voila Done!

    Daryl Bryant, Jan 3, 2007
  6. BJ

    Ken Lucke Guest

    In article <>, BJ
    <> wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I am new for online albums. I have few questions about protection of
    > images:
    >
    > 1. Is there any free service comparable to Digimarc?
    >
    > 2. If I will embed some watermark on images, will I be able to track
    > who all are using it (at least online)?
    >
    > 3. Any other methods of copyright protection beside Watermark.
    >
    > Any links will help.
    > Thanks in advance.

    Well, don't upload them in a size/resolution that is worthwhile ripping
    off. If you upload samples in medium resolution (40-60%) .jpgs at 72
    dpi (screen resolution) at no more than 320x480, it's unlikely that
    they will be useful to very many people for rip-off purposes, yet they
    will still be good enough for online viewing. Very few online useages
    require high-resolution.

    independence.
    -- Charles A. Beard

    Ken Lucke, Jan 4, 2007
  7. BJ

    jmc Guest

    Suddenly, without warning, Ken Lucke exclaimed (04-Jan-07 10:05 AM):
    > In article <>, BJ
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I am new for online albums. I have few questions about protection of
    >> images:
    >>
    >> 1. Is there any free service comparable to Digimarc?
    >>
    >> 2. If I will embed some watermark on images, will I be able to track
    >> who all are using it (at least online)?
    >>
    >> 3. Any other methods of copyright protection beside Watermark.
    >>
    >> Any links will help.
    >> Thanks in advance.

    > Well, don't upload them in a size/resolution that is worthwhile ripping
    > off. If you upload samples in medium resolution (40-60%) .jpgs at 72
    > dpi (screen resolution) at no more than 320x480, it's unlikely that
    > they will be useful to very many people for rip-off purposes, yet they
    > will still be good enough for online viewing. Very few online useages
    > require high-resolution.

    I do mine at 640x480, many people have bigger screen/resolutions these
    days, and 320x480 is just too small - it's pretty much thumbnail size on
    my 1600x1200 screen.

    I just stick a slightly obnoxious copyright at the bottom of all my
    posted pictures. Sure, somebody can crop or photoshop it off, but why
    bother for something that might make a decent 4x6, but won't go any
    bigger than that gracefully?

    jmc

    jmc, Jan 5, 2007
  8. BJ wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am new for online albums. I have few questions about protection of
    > images:
    >
    > 1. Is there any free service comparable to Digimarc?
    >
    > 2. If I will embed some watermark on images, will I be able to track
    > who all are using it (at least online)?
    >
    > 3. Any other methods of copyright protection beside Watermark.
    >
    > Any links will help.
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > With Rgds,
    > BJ

    I'm in a similar situation - I am a newbie Photographer and post my
    pictures online. Some are access protected (these are more personal in
    nature of family and friends) and some are not (no people - usually).

    I have thought of doing something to be able to track my pictures
    (something like a homing device if you will). But I don't think the
    technology exists to do what I want to do. Also, the legal route seems
    quite complicated / expensive (since my pictures don't generate any
    money).

    So, I've decided to watermark my pictures. The fact that I am not very
    good helped with this decision. I doubt anyone would find my work worth
    all the trouble.

    -- manzoor
    - http://flickr.com/photos/smriti -- http://ChobiSmriti.BlogSpot.com/ -

    Manzoorul Hassan, Jan 15, 2007
  9. If you don't want your images copies don't put them on the web. Anything you
    can do to stop it from happening can easily be circumvented. Usually by
    pressing the print screen button, using a screen capture program, or pulling
    it out of your web browsers cache.

    If you want to keep what they can do with to a minimum make the images
    small, add a ghosted (c) copyright symbol over the top (just light enough to
    see without messing up the picture too bad) and then place a copyright
    notice below the image.

    Beyond that get on with life.

    ljc

    Little Juice Coupe, Jan 16, 2007