Protecting my computer from adware/spyware

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by SW, Nov 28, 2003.

  1. SW

    SW Guest

    Well, happy thanksgiving folks.

    Like many Americans I've got family and friends over. Seems like many
    of my friends and family have had their computers (and explorer)
    "hijacked" with porn and other strange software.

    I have had experience dealing with this before, so I'm trying to help
    them. I've used "ad-aware" to remove these "hijacking" programs.

    I'm trying to document a process that these users can do to save their
    computers...obviously I'm trying to keep it simple and use free-ware.

    Most of them have anti-virus software, so, it's just a matter of them
    keeping it updated.

    Here is the process I've come up with:

    1) delete explorer's cache/cookies.

    2) check for and remove viruses.

    3) Run "ad-aware", it's free and works well (I think), but I don't
    believe it runs in the background to keep protecting.

    4) install a free ware pop-up blocker (there are a few good ones)

    (Here is the problem)

    5) install some type of "shield" to protect their computers/explorer
    from getting hijacked again. Spy Sweeper has cool memory/home
    page/etc shield, but that's not freeware, is there anything like that
    out there that I can tell them to install and not worry about it.

    They (or their kids) might be using kazaa, so that could be the one of
    the bad guys in all of this...

    The simpler the process, the better off for me and them, that is one
    of the reason I want freeware, because I know there won't be any
    problem with them not following my directions (i.e. paying, nag
    screens, etc).

    I know, overall, these users should be taking better car of their
    computers; but lets face it, there are still computer illiterate
    people out there that "we" still have to help (and windows doesn't
    make it easy).

    Thanks,

    S-W
    SW, Nov 28, 2003

  2. SW

    °Mike° Guest

    <Followup-To set to 24hoursupport.helpdesk>

    As well as Ad-Aware, they should install, update and use
    the following:

    Spybot Search & Destroy
    http://spybot.eon.net.au/
    http://www.safer-networking.org/

    Spyware Blaster

    HijackThis
    http://www.tomcoyote.org/hjt/

    The "Immunize" feature should be used, and the resident BHO
    should be installed in SpyBot S&D.

    On Thu, 27 Nov 2003 19:05:45 -0500, in
    <>
    SW scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Nov 28, 2003

  3. SW

    trout Guest

    [x-post snipped]

    SW wrote:

    > Well, happy thanksgiving folks.
    >
    > Like many Americans I've got family and friends over. Seems like many
    > of my friends and family have had their computers (and explorer)
    > "hijacked" with porn and other strange software.
    >
    > I have had experience dealing with this before, so I'm trying to help
    > them. I've used "ad-aware" to remove these "hijacking" programs.
    >
    > I'm trying to document a process that these users can do to save their
    > computers...obviously I'm trying to keep it simple and use free-ware.
    >
    > Most of them have anti-virus software, so, it's just a matter of them
    > keeping it updated.
    >

    > Here is the process I've come up with:
    >

    > 1) delete explorer's cache/cookies.
    >
    > 2) check for and remove viruses.
    >
    > 3) Run "ad-aware", it's free and works well (I think), but I don't
    > believe it runs in the background to keep protecting.
    >
    > 4) install a free ware pop-up blocker (there are a few good ones)
    >

    > (Here is the problem)
    >
    > 5) install some type of "shield" to protect their computers/explorer
    > from getting hijacked again. Spy Sweeper has cool memory/home
    > page/etc shield, but that's not freeware, is there anything like that
    > out there that I can tell them to install and not worry about it.
    >
    > They (or their kids) might be using kazaa, so that could be the one of
    > the bad guys in all of this...
    >
    > The simpler the process, the better off for me and them, that is one
    > of the reason I want freeware, because I know there won't be any
    > problem with them not following my directions (i.e. paying, nag
    > screens, etc).
    >
    > I know, overall, these users should be taking better car of their
    > computers; but lets face it, there are still computer illiterate
    > people out there that "we" still have to help (and windows doesn't
    > make it easy).
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > S-W

    As well as seconding °Mike°'s advice; for IE users, I'd recommend a
    "custom" security setting.
    (Internet Options > "Security" tab:)

    ActiveX controls and plug-ins : "Prompt"
    Installation of desktop items: "Prompt"
    Navigate sub-frames across different domains: "Prompt"
    Active Scripting: "Disable" (at least until the latest, and current
    vulnerability is addressed)
    --
    "I'd also reconsider cross-posting to troll-infested cesspools like
    alt.os.windows-xp. Not for 'security'. It's just annoying."
    trout, Nov 28, 2003
  4. "SW" <> wrote in message
    > Well, happy thanksgiving folks.
    >
    > Like many Americans I've got family and friends over. Seems like many
    > of my friends and family have had their computers (and explorer)
    > "hijacked" with porn and other strange software.
    >
    > I have had experience dealing with this before, so I'm trying to help
    > them. I've used "ad-aware" to remove these "hijacking" programs.
    >
    > I'm trying to document a process that these users can do to save their
    > computers...obviously I'm trying to keep it simple and use free-ware.
    >
    > Most of them have anti-virus software, so, it's just a matter of them
    > keeping it updated.
    >

    > Here is the process I've come up with:
    >

    > 1) delete explorer's cache/cookies.
    >
    > 2) check for and remove viruses.
    >
    > 3) Run "ad-aware", it's free and works well (I think), but I don't
    > believe it runs in the background to keep protecting.
    >
    > 4) install a free ware pop-up blocker (there are a few good ones)
    >

    > (Here is the problem)
    >
    > 5) install some type of "shield" to protect their computers/explorer
    > from getting hijacked again. Spy Sweeper has cool memory/home
    > page/etc shield, but that's not freeware, is there anything like that
    > out there that I can tell them to install and not worry about it.
    >
    > They (or their kids) might be using kazaa, so that could be the one of
    > the bad guys in all of this...
    >
    > The simpler the process, the better off for me and them, that is one
    > of the reason I want freeware, because I know there won't be any
    > problem with them not following my directions (i.e. paying, nag
    > screens, etc).
    >
    > I know, overall, these users should be taking better car of their
    > computers; but lets face it, there are still computer illiterate
    > people out there that "we" still have to help (and windows doesn't
    > make it easy).
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > S-W

    Hi S-W

    Amongst the vitriol, no one answered your posting

    your plan is good but I didn't see mention of a firewall
    win XP is the only MS product that comes with a firewall

    Firewalls are essential these days my firewall log between15:56 and16:31 had
    100 hits 16 of these were probably legitimate but the rest were directed to
    ICMP and almost certainly the bad guys I'm using zonealarm pro which can
    got from www.zonelabs.com if you've a big family it could get pricey,

    But after the specified time period, it'll revert to a free version it
    won't stop working all that will happen is that you'll lose some trace
    functions but it'll still keep the bad guys out

    HTH

    --
    The Goose

    May the Sun never
    Set on your cabbage patch
    The Grey Goose, Nov 29, 2003
  5. SW

    °Mike° Guest

    On Sat, 29 Nov 2003 18:23:01 +0000 (UTC), in
    <bqao64$2ld$>
    The Grey Goose scrawled:

    >"SW" <> wrote in message
    >> Well, happy thanksgiving folks.
    >>
    >> Like many Americans I've got family and friends over. Seems like many
    >> of my friends and family have had their computers (and explorer)
    >> "hijacked" with porn and other strange software.
    >>
    >> I have had experience dealing with this before, so I'm trying to help
    >> them. I've used "ad-aware" to remove these "hijacking" programs.
    >>
    >> I'm trying to document a process that these users can do to save their
    >> computers...obviously I'm trying to keep it simple and use free-ware.
    >>
    >> Most of them have anti-virus software, so, it's just a matter of them
    >> keeping it updated.
    >>

    >> Here is the process I've come up with:
    >>

    >> 1) delete explorer's cache/cookies.
    >>
    >> 2) check for and remove viruses.
    >>
    >> 3) Run "ad-aware", it's free and works well (I think), but I don't
    >> believe it runs in the background to keep protecting.
    >>
    >> 4) install a free ware pop-up blocker (there are a few good ones)
    >>

    >> (Here is the problem)
    >>
    >> 5) install some type of "shield" to protect their computers/explorer
    >> from getting hijacked again. Spy Sweeper has cool memory/home
    >> page/etc shield, but that's not freeware, is there anything like that
    >> out there that I can tell them to install and not worry about it.
    >>
    >> They (or their kids) might be using kazaa, so that could be the one of
    >> the bad guys in all of this...
    >>
    >> The simpler the process, the better off for me and them, that is one
    >> of the reason I want freeware, because I know there won't be any
    >> problem with them not following my directions (i.e. paying, nag
    >> screens, etc).
    >>
    >> I know, overall, these users should be taking better car of their
    >> computers; but lets face it, there are still computer illiterate
    >> people out there that "we" still have to help (and windows doesn't
    >> make it easy).
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >>
    >> S-W
    >>

    >Hi S-W
    >
    >Amongst the vitriol, no one answered your posting

    Yes, they did.

    <snip>

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Nov 29, 2003
  6. SW

    Boomer Guest

    Bill Schowengerdt <> wrote in
    [snip]
    > Oh my... Is there no end to the sadness of your personality?

    Please don't feed the trolls or cross post.
    Boomer, Dec 6, 2003
  7. SW

    Boomer Guest

    Bill Schowengerdt <> wrote in
    [snip]

    *PLONK troll feeders*
    Boomer, Dec 6, 2003
  8. SW

    Luis Silve Guest

    Boomer wrote:
    > Bill Schowengerdt <> wrote in
    > [snip]
    >> Oh my... Is there no end to the sadness of your personality?

    > Please don't feed the trolls or cross post.

    Ok. *PLONK*
    Luis Silve, Dec 6, 2003
  9. Boomer wrote:
    > Bill Schowengerdt <> wrote in
    > [snip]
    >
    > *PLONK troll feeders*

    *PLONK* trolls
    Chikako Bullard, Dec 6, 2003
  10. On 06 Dec 2003 05:08:48 GMT, In the heat of the moment, Boomer
    <> posted:
    ..
    >Bill Schowengerdt <> wrote in
    >[snip]
    >> Oh my... Is there no end to the sadness of your personality?

    >Please don't feed the trolls or cross post.

    He is in my killfile and thus I usually do not read his crap. However,
    this time I guess I was just in an easily provoked mood

    You are quite correct. I apologize.
    Bill Schowengerdt, Dec 6, 2003