    Guest Guest

    Anyone had success with spray coatings to keep inkjet prints from fading?
    Bob

    Guest, Oct 13, 2005

  2. Guest

    tomm101 Guest

    wrote:
    > Anyone had success with spray coatings to keep inkjet prints from fading?
    > Bob

    Yes i have used sprays from Bull Dog Products www.bulldog.com and
    Lyson, www.inkjetart.com. Both work quite well on Kodak 260 lb Pro
    Glossy stock, a gelatin surfaced paper and Epson Doubleweight Matte.
    Many papers don't handle dye inks well. The Kodak Pro paper (rolls
    only), Epson Colorlife (Epson printers only) and HP papers designed to
    work with their new Designjet printers (Designjet 30 - 130)are all
    quite good. Canon has glossy papers that are rated at 25yrs for their
    printers only. Ilford Classic papers are designed for dye prints too. I
    believe the Iford and Kodak are the only ones that needs coating. But
    many papers work better with pigment ink printers, even those that have
    been out for a while, Epson Premium Luster comes to mind. Many papers
    just aren't very good. Inkjet printing is all a matter of matching the
    right materials and equipment. With dye based printers this can be a
    little tricky.

    Tom

    tomm101, Oct 13, 2005

  3. Guest

    Marvin Guest

    wrote:
    > Anyone had success with spray coatings to keep inkjet prints from fading?
    > Bob

    I've used the clear sprays that artists use on watercolors, and others have mentioned the
    same on this NG.

    Marvin, Oct 14, 2005
  4. In article <z8s3f.21157$>,
    says...
    > Anyone had success with spray coatings to keep inkjet prints from fading?
    > Bob

    I used to spray "real" photographs with Krylon clear sprays. This
    made it easier to keep the surface clean, prevented abrasion and
    improved the gloss.
    But, there is no evidence that it prevented fading. Some of the newer
    sprays claim to have statistics on improving print life, but their
    measuring techniques are not standardized.
    There is also the question of how stable the sprays themselves are.
    There is a small industry in removing yellowed varnish from old
    oil paintings. Who is to say this won't happen on inkjets as well.

    The latest generation of printers claim much better print stability
    so the best option may be just using one of these for prints where
    long life is important.
    --
    Robert D Feinman
    http://robertdfeinman.com