    Off topic, I tried twice to post by email to

    and both times, the message was bounced, so if I have missed something
    obvious, I would appreciate advice.
    mmills, Jul 27, 2007

  2. mmills

    C J Campbell Guest

    On 2007-07-27 08:28:36 -0700, mmills <> said:

    > Is there a way of protecting a photo by adding plain text to the
    > data
    > file of a jpeg? Something like /This image is copyrighted and is
    > the
    > property of.../ I am familiar with watermarks and this is not what I
    > need -- I want something transparent to the viewer, that could be
    > used alone
    > or in conjunction with a watermark, that would be viewable in a text
    > editor. I seem to remember something like this from my early MSDOS
    > days.
    >

    > Off topic, I tried twice to post by email to
    >

    > and both times, the message was bounced, so if I have missed something
    > obvious, I would appreciate advice.

    JPG files can have EXIF information attached to them. You can edit the
    EXIF information to attach a copyright notice. And someone else can
    edit it just as easily to remove the notice.
    --
    Waddling Eagle
    World Famous Flight Instructor
    C J Campbell, Jul 27, 2007

  3. mmills

    Jim Townsend Guest

    mmills wrote:

    > Is there a way of protecting a photo by adding plain text to the
    > data
    > file of a jpeg? Something like /This image is copyrighted and is
    > the
    > property of.../ I am familiar with watermarks and this is not what I
    > need -- I want something transparent to the viewer, that could be
    > used alone
    > or in conjunction with a watermark, that would be viewable in a text
    > editor. I seem to remember something like this from my early MSDOS
    > days.

    Any text you add can be removed. Even if the text isn't removed it
    doesn't actually stop anyone from using it.

    The ONLY way to protect a digital image is to not let anyone have
    access to it. An alternative is to use, a large high contrast water
    mark that covers most of the image.
    Jim Townsend, Jul 27, 2007
  4. On Fri, 27 Jul 2007 08:28:36 -0700, mmills <> wrote:

    >Is there a way of protecting a photo by adding plain text to the
    >data
    >file of a jpeg? Something like /This image is copyrighted and is
    >the
    >property of.../ I am familiar with watermarks and this is not what I
    >need -- I want something transparent to the viewer, that could be
    >used alone
    >or in conjunction with a watermark, that would be viewable in a text
    >editor. I seem to remember something like this from my early MSDOS
    >days.

    There is something called IPTC information in the JPEG format, which you
    can edit with, for example, Irfanview. It would help against copyright
    infringements caused by carelessness. But anyone can remove the
    information, so it doesn't help against deliberate infringement.

    --
    Stephen Poley
    Stephen Poley, Jul 28, 2007
  5. mmills

    ASAAR Guest

    On Fri, 27 Jul 2007 08:28:36 -0700, mmills wrote:

    > Off topic, I tried twice to post by email to
    >

    > and both times, the message was bounced, so if I have missed something
    > obvious, I would appreciate advice.

    I've never used Google to read or post newsgroup messages, but
    here's what I did. First, I wanted to go to the right newsgroup,
    and not knowing what the proper URL was, I went to this link :

    http://groups.google.com/groups/dir

    I then entered "rec.photo.digital" in the appropriate location and
    next clicked on the button to the right labeled [search for a group]

    This would take you to a page showing several hits :

    > rec.photo.digital
    > rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
    > rec.photo.digital.point+shoot
    > rec.photo.digital.zlr
    > rec.photo.digital.rangefinder

    Clicking on the first link takes you to a page showing a number of
    "Discussions". A very small subset of the discussions (or threads)
    that a decent or even not so decent newsreader would show you.

    To the right is an area labeled "Active older topics", and the
    first link below it was for this thread (discussion), so I clicked
    on it and it took me to a page showing four messages, including
    yours, which was the first one listed.

    At the bottom of your message are 3 links (Reply, Reply to author,
    and Forward).

    Before using any of these links you're required to create a Google
    account. I have no Google account and have no interest in creating
    one, hence this is a normal newsgroup reply, not using Google
    Groups. My guess is that you'd want to click on the Reply link, not
    the Reply to author link, which seems like it would try to utilize
    email, and so the reply would be sent to only that one person, and
    would not appear as a newsgroup reply. And of course, before doing
    this you'd have to have created your own Google account.

    Other people in this newsgroup use Google Groups, so perhaps one
    of them will tell you what you need to do, correcting any mistakes
    or bad assumptions I've made.

    If you intend to regularly read newsgroup messages, you really
    should use software that is designed to access newsgroups, not
    Google Groups, which is a really clumsy, awkward way to access
    newsgroups. But to briefly answer your question, no, you don't
    reply to messages by sending email. Even if Google Groups would
    allow you to do so, almost all of the email would never be received
    by the intended recipient, since most people provide fake return
    email addresses in order to avoid getting tons of spam email.
    ASAAR, Jul 28, 2007
  6. mmills

    ASAAR Guest

    On Sat, 28 Jul 2007 04:46:19 -0400, ASAAR <> wrote:

    >On Fri, 27 Jul 2007 08:28:36 -0700, mmills wrote:
    >
    >> Off topic, I tried twice to post by email to
    >>

    >> and both times, the message was bounced, so if I have missed something
    >> obvious, I would appreciate advice.

    > I've never used Google to read or post newsgroup messages, but
    >here's what I did. First, I wanted to go to the right newsgroup,
    >and not knowing what the proper URL was, I went to this link :
    >
    > http://groups.google.com/groups/dir
    >
    > I then entered "rec.photo.digital" in the appropriate location and
    >next clicked on the button to the right labeled [search for a group]
    >
    > This would take you to a page showing several hits :
    >
    >> rec.photo.digital
    >> rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
    >> rec.photo.digital.point+shoot
    >> rec.photo.digital.zlr
    >> rec.photo.digital.rangefinder

    > Clicking on the first link takes you to a page showing a number of
    >"Discussions". A very small subset of the discussions (or threads)
    >that a decent or even not so decent newsreader would show you.
    >
    > To the right is an area labeled "Active older topics", and the
    >first link below it was for this thread (discussion), so I clicked
    >on it and it took me to a page showing four messages, including
    >yours, which was the first one listed.
    >
    > At the bottom of your message are 3 links (Reply, Reply to author,
    >and Forward).
    >
    > Before using any of these links you're required to create a Google
    >account. I have no Google account and have no interest in creating
    >one, hence this is a normal newsgroup reply, not using Google
    >Groups. My guess is that you'd want to click on the Reply link, not
    >the Reply to author link, which seems like it would try to utilize
    >email, and so the reply would be sent to only that one person, and
    >would not appear as a newsgroup reply. And of course, before doing
    >this you'd have to have created your own Google account.
    >
    > Other people in this newsgroup use Google Groups, so perhaps one
    >of them will tell you what you need to do, correcting any mistakes
    >or bad assumptions I've made.
    >
    > If you intend to regularly read newsgroup messages, you really
    >should use software that is designed to access newsgroups, not
    >Google Groups, which is a really clumsy, awkward way to access
    >newsgroups. But to briefly answer your question, no, you don't
    >reply to messages by sending email. Even if Google Groups would
    >allow you to do so, almost all of the email would never be received
    >by the intended recipient, since most people provide fake return
    >email addresses in order to avoid getting tons of spam email.

    Please ignore this forged reply.
    ASAAR, Jul 28, 2007
  7. mmills

    John Turco Guest

    mmills wrote:

    > Is there a way of protecting a photo by adding plain text to the
    > data file of a jpeg? Something like /This image is copyrighted and is
    > the property of.../ I am familiar with watermarks and this is not what I
    > need -- I want something transparent to the viewer, that could be
    > used alone or in conjunction with a watermark, that would be viewable
    > in a text editor. I seem to remember something like this from my early
    > MSDOS days.

    Hello,

    As other responders have noted, there's very little that can be done,
    to prevent such thievery. If you're truly concerned about your pictures
    being "stolen," then don't put them up, publicly.

    > Off topic, I tried twice to post by email to
    >

    > and both times, the message was bounced, so if I have missed something
    > obvious, I would appreciate advice.

    Google Groups <http://groups.google.com> is a Web-based portal to
    Usenet. Hence, it can't be accessed, through e-mail.

    You need an NNTP news server, otherwise. I use a free one, aioe.cjb.net;
    it also allows me to post messages (which very few of its counterparts
    do, by the way).

    Good luck!

    Cordially,
    John Turco <>