    Any tips ?
    thanks
    timmy_

    timmy_, Mar 25, 2005

  2. timmy_

    JD Guest

    timmy_ wrote:
    > Hi I am just looking for a simple yet effective way to password protect
    > and\or hide certain folders \ files so that other people can not discover
    > those areas of my harddisk.
    >
    > Any tips ?
    > thanks
    > timmy_

    operating system ?

    JD, Mar 25, 2005

  3. timmy_

    timmy_ Guest

    "JD" <> wrote in message
    > timmy_ wrote:
    > > Hi I am just looking for a simple yet effective way to password protect
    > > and\or hide certain folders \ files so that other people can not

    discover
    > > those areas of my harddisk.
    > >
    > > Any tips ?
    > > thanks
    > > timmy_
    > >

    > operating system ?

    sorry. My operating system is Windows XP. : ) NTFS file system on all
    drives.

    timmy_, Mar 25, 2005
  4. timmy_

    bowgus Guest

    If yer talking areas of disk, PartitionMagic 8.0 works with XP and hides
    partitions ... the trick would be to hide PMagic from those other people :)

    bowgus, Mar 25, 2005
  5. timmy_

    JD Guest

    bowgus wrote:
    > If yer talking areas of disk, PartitionMagic 8.0 works with XP and hides
    > partitions ... the trick would be to hide PMagic from those other people :)
    >
    > "timmy_" <> wrote in message news:424469f6$...
    >
    >>Hi I am just looking for a simple yet effective way to password protect
    >>and\or hide certain folders \ files so that other people can not discover
    >>those areas of my harddisk.
    >>
    >>Any tips ?
    >>thanks
    >>timmy_

    forget that .. use PGP and mount a virtual encrypted drive

    I'm a unix user myself and I can just deny access to files and folders
    simply by changing permissions .

    JD, Mar 25, 2005
  6. timmy_

    bowgus Guest

    > I'm a unix user myself and I can just deny access to files and folders
    > simply by changing permissions.

    Simple is right ... root.

    bowgus, Mar 25, 2005
  7. timmy_

    bowgus Guest

    bowgus, Mar 25, 2005
  8. timmy_

    nemo outis Guest

    For Win NT/XP/2k3 Truecrypt permits OTFE encryption on a
    "stealth" partition. (Truecrypt itself is extremely well done,
    even bombproof - and it's open-source! - but the "stealthiness"
    of the "unused" partition will only fool the rankest amateurs.)

    Regards,

    PS http://truecrypt.sourceforge.net/

    nemo outis, Mar 25, 2005