    February where temperatures can be below freezing at noon in that time
    of the year. Last thing I want is to come back with the love of my
    life (my D60 of course) damaged. Thanks for your help.

    Joe Kim, Oct 21, 2004

  2. Joe Kim

    Arthur Small Guest

    Keep it inside your coat. Remove it only to shoot.

    Arthur Small, Oct 21, 2004

  3. Joe Kim

    Jim Townsend Guest

    Joe Kim wrote:

    > Hi everyone,
    >
    > How would I protect my Canon D60 and camear equipment/accessories in
    > very cold temperatures? I am planning on going to Yosemite in
    > February where temperatures can be below freezing at noon in that time
    > of the year. Last thing I want is to come back with the love of my
    > life (my D60 of course) damaged. Thanks for your help.

    Protect it the same way you'd protect yourself :)

    Keep it indoors or in a car until you're ready to shoot.
    If you're hiking with, wear a loose jacket and keep
    the camera under it next to your body.

    I've had my 10D out on a tripod for over 1/2 hour at 25F below
    without any ill effects.

    If you take the cold camera into a humid environment, you
    might want to wrap it in a plastic bag to keep excess
    condensation from forming on it.

    Condensation generally isn't a big problem in extremely low
    temperatures because heating generally lowers the indoor
    relative humidity.. Most people who live in very cold places
    complain about the indoor dryness during winter.

    Of course, if you go into a crowded place or somewhere with
    an effective humidifier, then the bag would be a good idea.

    Jim Townsend, Oct 21, 2004
  4. Joe Kim wrote:

    > Hi everyone,
    >
    > How would I protect my Canon D60 and camear equipment/accessories in
    > very cold temperatures? I am planning on going to Yosemite in
    > February where temperatures can be below freezing at noon in that time
    > of the year. Last thing I want is to come back with the love of my
    > life (my D60 of course) damaged. Thanks for your help.

    Cold won't hurt the camera, but keep it dry. If its snowing, let the
    camera cool to the outdoor temperature and the snow will bounce right
    off. When bringing a cold camera indoors (or into your heated car),
    avoid condensation - keep the camera in a closed camera bag or a large
    zip-lock with the air removed. (Same applies to lenses)

    Cold *will* affect your battery's performance. Keep a spare battery in
    your pocket (protect from shorting out against coins or keys). Swap
    batteries often to keep them warm, ideally swap out a battery before the
    camera reports low power.

    -Dave

    Dave Herzstein, Oct 22, 2004
  5. Joe Kim

    Joe Kim Guest

    Dave Herzstein <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > Joe Kim wrote:
    > >
    > > Hi everyone,
    > >
    > > How would I protect my Canon D60 and camear equipment/accessories in
    > > very cold temperatures? I am planning on going to Yosemite in
    > > February where temperatures can be below freezing at noon in that time
    > > of the year. Last thing I want is to come back with the love of my
    > > life (my D60 of course) damaged. Thanks for your help.

    > Cold won't hurt the camera, but keep it dry. If its snowing, let the
    > camera cool to the outdoor temperature and the snow will bounce right
    > off. When bringing a cold camera indoors (or into your heated car),
    > avoid condensation - keep the camera in a closed camera bag or a large
    > zip-lock with the air removed. (Same applies to lenses)
    >
    > Cold *will* affect your battery's performance. Keep a spare battery in
    > your pocket (protect from shorting out against coins or keys). Swap
    > batteries often to keep them warm, ideally swap out a battery before the
    > camera reports low power.
    >
    > -Dave

    Great, thank you very much Dave!

    Joe Kim, Oct 26, 2004