    in some way, maybe I have a trojan or something like it but as I am next to
    clueless on the stuff that firewall reports on I would appreciate some
    advice.

    outofdate, Jan 24, 2006

  2. outofdate

    outofdate Guest

    "outofdate" <outofdate@computer> wrote in message
    news:43d6a3c7$...
    > My firewall program reports that protected storage server from my computer
    > wants to send udp data to an address on port 137. Since I have never seen
    > this been reported before I am worried that my computer has been

    infiltrated
    > in some way, maybe I have a trojan or something like it but as I am next

    > clueless on the stuff that firewall reports on I would appreciate some
    > advice.

    Woops i forgot to say that i am running win98se, firefox and tiny personal
    firewall.

    outofdate, Jan 24, 2006

  3. outofdate wrote:
    > My firewall program reports that protected storage server from my computer
    > wants to send udp data to an address on port 137. Since I have never seen
    > this been reported before I am worried that my computer has been infiltrated
    > in some way, maybe I have a trojan or something like it but as I am next to
    > clueless on the stuff that firewall reports on I would appreciate some
    > advice.

    Port 137 is used by windows networking for the netbios name service so you may
    see legitimate traffic there if you are using file shareing or internet
    connection sharing.

    It's also notoriously insecure and used as a vector by a number of viruses.
    Such a virus may explain the appearance of the traffic you are seeing.

    Mark Robinson, Jan 25, 2006
  4. In article <43d6a3c7$>, outofdate@computer says...
    > My firewall program reports that protected storage server from my computer
    > wants to send udp data to an address on port 137. Since I have never seen
    > this been reported before I am worried that my computer has been infiltrated
    > in some way, maybe I have a trojan or something like it but as I am next to
    > clueless on the stuff that firewall reports on I would appreciate some
    > advice.

    Firewall 135-139 to/from the outside of your lan. They're favourite targets.

    Internally it's netbios - part of the software that makes 'network
    neighbourhood' work, so I wouldn't necessarily obsess about seeing internal
    traffic there ;-) Just make sure you've file and printer sharing disabled on
    your internet connection and your machine shouldn't try to look for other parts
    of the lan around the big wide world.

    o.t.o.h. if it was persistently and repeatedly trying to connect to a specific
    outside domain or IP on port 137 then I would start thinking about doing some
    detective work.

    -P.

    Peter Huebner, Jan 25, 2006
  5. outofdate

    outofdate Guest

    "Mark Robinson" <2tod.net> wrote in message
    > outofdate wrote:
    > > My firewall program reports that protected storage server from my

    computer
    > > wants to send udp data to an address on port 137. Since I have never

    seen
    > > this been reported before I am worried that my computer has been

    infiltrated
    > > in some way, maybe I have a trojan or something like it but as I am next

    > > clueless on the stuff that firewall reports on I would appreciate some
    > > advice.

    > Port 137 is used by windows networking for the netbios name service so you

    may
    > see legitimate traffic there if you are using file shareing or internet
    > connection sharing.
    >
    > It's also notoriously insecure and used as a vector by a number of

    viruses.
    > Such a virus may explain the appearance of the traffic you are seeing.

    Thanks.
    Did a nortons antivirus scan with latest definitions but no viruses reported
    but I don't trust that that means there is no virus.

    outofdate, Jan 25, 2006
  6. outofdate

    outofdate Guest

    "Peter Huebner" <> wrote in message
    > In article <43d6a3c7$>, outofdate@computer says...
    > > My firewall program reports that protected storage server from my

    computer
    > > wants to send udp data to an address on port 137. Since I have never

    seen
    > > this been reported before I am worried that my computer has been

    infiltrated
    > > in some way, maybe I have a trojan or something like it but as I am next

    > > clueless on the stuff that firewall reports on I would appreciate some
    > > advice.
    > >

    > Firewall 135-139 to/from the outside of your lan. They're favourite

    targets.

    > Internally it's netbios - part of the software that makes 'network
    > neighbourhood' work, so I wouldn't necessarily obsess about seeing

    internal
    > traffic there ;-) Just make sure you've file and printer sharing disabled

    on
    > your internet connection and your machine shouldn't try to look for other

    parts
    > of the lan around the big wide world.
    >
    > o.t.o.h. if it was persistently and repeatedly trying to connect to a

    specific
    > outside domain or IP on port 137 then I would start thinking about doing

    some
    > detective work.
    >
    > -P.

    Thanks for that although I still find it strange that the thing i reported
    would happen at all, it has never happened before and I was doing nothing
    special so why all of a sudden does my computer want to send information
    that is suppose to be secure.

    outofdate, Jan 25, 2006