Protected Ports Multi Switch Interaction

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Philip, Mar 29, 2007.

  1. Philip

    Philip Guest

    Can client machine D communicate with client machine A or B?

    My aim is for all client machines to communicate with the server on
    switch 1 - but no clients on the VLAN to be able to talk between
    themselves (ie: no peer to peer communication).

    I understand the use of protected ports on a single switch, but I
    don't fully understand how they interact when on multiple switches
    linked via a trunk link and on the same VLAN.

    If some clients will still be able to communicate with each other,
    what would be the best approach to preventing this?

    Scenario:

    Switch 1

    Port 1: Unprotected Port. Connects to server. VLAN 2
    Port 2: Unprotected Port. Trunk link to switch 2

    Switch 2

    Port 1: Unprotected Port. Trunk link to switch 1
    Port 2: Unprotected Port. Trunk link to switch 3
    Port 3: Protected Port. VLAN 2. Client machine A.
    Port 4. Protected Port. VLAN 2. Client machine B.

    Switch 3

    Port 1: Unprotected Port. Trunk link to switch 2.
    Port 2: Protected Port. VLAN 2. Client machine C.
    Port 3: Protected Port. VLAN 2. Client machine D.

    Theres actually about 80 Cisco switches involved, and all switches
    host a variety of other VLAN's which must remain unaffected by any
    changes.

    Many Thanks,

    Philip

    Philip, Mar 29, 2007