ProShow Gold & DVD Burners

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by BRH, Nov 26, 2006.

  1. BRH

    BRH Guest

    Both my desktop and laptop computer's DVD burners don't play nicely with
    the trial version of ProShow Gold. Although I save my slideshows to an
    ISO file and burn at only 1X, the sound still chops in and out.

    In an earlier thread, it was stated that this is most likely a DVD
    burner quality issue. I presently have a Sony DRU-510A in my desktop PC
    and a Lightscribe Super Multi 8X in my almost brand-new HP laptop.
    I've been using Staples brand DVD-R media which has always worked fine
    for me with other applications.

    I would like to find a reliable DVD burner for my desktop system that
    will work well with ProShow Gold, and allow me to burn at a decent speed
    without saving to an ISO file first. An earlier thread suggested that I
    try a Plextor PX-760A DVD burner, but that model has decidedly poor
    customer ratings re: reliability at newegg. My desktop system specs are
    AthlonXP2600, 1 Gig RAM, Windows XP Pro SP2.

    I'd appreciate hearing which specific DVD burner models are successfully
    being used with ProShow Gold by others with similar system specs to mine.

    I'm very impressed with ProShow Gold, but if I can't burn the slideshows
    to DVD reliably, I won't spend the money for it.

    Thanks!

    BRH, Nov 26, 2006

  2. BRH

    Mark B. Guest

    <BRH> wrote in message news:...
    > Both my desktop and laptop computer's DVD burners don't play nicely with
    > the trial version of ProShow Gold. Although I save my slideshows to an
    > ISO file and burn at only 1X, the sound still chops in and out.
    >
    > In an earlier thread, it was stated that this is most likely a DVD burner
    > quality issue. I presently have a Sony DRU-510A in my desktop PC and a
    > Lightscribe Super Multi 8X in my almost brand-new HP laptop. I've been
    > using Staples brand DVD-R media which has always worked fine for me with
    > other applications.
    >
    > I would like to find a reliable DVD burner for my desktop system that will
    > work well with ProShow Gold, and allow me to burn at a decent speed
    > without saving to an ISO file first. An earlier thread suggested that I
    > try a Plextor PX-760A DVD burner, but that model has decidedly poor
    > customer ratings re: reliability at newegg. My desktop system specs are
    > AthlonXP2600, 1 Gig RAM, Windows XP Pro SP2.
    >
    > I'd appreciate hearing which specific DVD burner models are successfully
    > being used with ProShow Gold by others with similar system specs to mine.
    >
    > I'm very impressed with ProShow Gold, but if I can't burn the slideshows
    > to DVD reliably, I won't spend the money for it.
    >
    > Thanks!

    I just picked up an external I/O Magic 16x burner running thru a USB
    interface, it seems to work fine with DVDs burned both within Pro Show and
    from Nero Express with an ISO file. The only issue I'm having is the images
    don't look all that good on my HD set, although they look great on my
    laptop. I'm only running an Athlon XP2400 with 768MB RAM.

    Mark

    Mark B., Nov 26, 2006

  3. BRH

    Mike Fields Guest

    <BRH> wrote in message
    > Both my desktop and laptop computer's DVD burners don't play nicely
    > with the trial version of ProShow Gold. Although I save my slideshows
    > to an ISO file and burn at only 1X, the sound still chops in and out.
    >
    > In an earlier thread, it was stated that this is most likely a DVD
    > burner quality issue. I presently have a Sony DRU-510A in my desktop
    > PC and a Lightscribe Super Multi 8X in my almost brand-new HP laptop.
    > I've been using Staples brand DVD-R media which has always worked fine
    > for me with other applications.
    >
    > I would like to find a reliable DVD burner for my desktop system that
    > will work well with ProShow Gold, and allow me to burn at a decent
    > speed without saving to an ISO file first. An earlier thread
    > suggested that I try a Plextor PX-760A DVD burner, but that model has
    > decidedly poor customer ratings re: reliability at newegg. My desktop
    > system specs are AthlonXP2600, 1 Gig RAM, Windows XP Pro SP2.
    >
    > I'd appreciate hearing which specific DVD burner models are
    > successfully being used with ProShow Gold by others with similar
    > system specs to mine.
    >
    > I'm very impressed with ProShow Gold, but if I can't burn the
    > slideshows to DVD reliably, I won't spend the money for it.
    >
    > Thanks!

    Actually, I think the issue may be stated slightly wrong. I think
    what you are seeing is a DVD *media quality* issue. I use
    a Pioneer A07 burner but lots of people also report good
    results with others. I use Taiyo Yuden 8x media all the time
    for mine and have no issues. Others have also reported good
    results with the T-Y media (use the good stuff, not the
    "value line" whatever that is). I have run into issues a couple
    of times where someone will view a slide show and say there
    was no sound. That is a DVD format issue - for NTSC,
    the spec says there must be at least one LPCM or AC3
    audio track. Much of the software out there defaults to
    Mpeg audio which is the PAL standard. That said, *most*
    of the DVD players today will handle that, but I have run
    into several that did not (older) and you get no sound at
    all. Here is what I have been using with NO coasters (well,
    none that were a media issue :) )
    http://www.meritline.com/taiyo-yuden-8x-dvd-r-white-inkjet-printable.html
    My only association with Meritline is through my
    credit card :)

    There are actually TWO issues with low quality media:
    1) do they burn and play at the correct speed
    2) do they still *remember* what was written to them
    6 months or a year from now.

    Us the free imgburn utility to burn your ISO's - check the
    option on it to verify the burn. If the drive slows down and
    starts "hunting" during the verify (you can hear it), you probably
    are looking at junk media. You might want to wander over
    to http://www.videohelp.com/dvdmedia.php and check out
    the info there on media also. http://www.videohelp.com is
    a great source of information.

    As far as finding a burner to use with PSG, maybe they
    will have it fixed in version 3 (soon), but I find the
    PSG --> ISO --> to work fine. Many people have
    reported problems with the burner from PSG issue
    with multiple systems, and different burners. Seems
    to be a PSG issue. One aspect of the ISO issue is
    you can create the ISO, use ISObuster (free) to extract
    the files and create a new ISO with an "EXTRAS" folder
    that has things like an executable version of the slideshow,
    the original pictures, any other write-up or docs you want
    to add. Then use the new ISO as a master to burn your
    DVD's (that is what I do -- just finished two batches of
    25 DVD's of my two kids soccer team shots that I give
    to the parents at the end of the season).

    mikey

    Mike Fields, Nov 26, 2006
  4. BRH

    BRH Guest

    Mike Fields wrote:

    > Actually, I think the issue may be stated slightly wrong. I think
    > what you are seeing is a DVD *media quality* issue. I use
    > a Pioneer A07 burner but lots of people also report good
    > results with others. I use Taiyo Yuden 8x media all the time
    > for mine and have no issues. Others have also reported good
    > results with the T-Y media (use the good stuff, not the
    > "value line" whatever that is). I have run into issues a couple
    > of times where someone will view a slide show and say there
    > was no sound. That is a DVD format issue - for NTSC,
    > the spec says there must be at least one LPCM or AC3
    > audio track. Much of the software out there defaults to
    > Mpeg audio which is the PAL standard. That said, *most*
    > of the DVD players today will handle that, but I have run
    > into several that did not (older) and you get no sound at
    > all. Here is what I have been using with NO coasters (well,
    > none that were a media issue :) )
    > http://www.meritline.com/taiyo-yuden-8x-dvd-r-white-inkjet-printable.html
    > My only association with Meritline is through my
    > credit card :)
    >
    > There are actually TWO issues with low quality media:
    > 1) do they burn and play at the correct speed
    > 2) do they still *remember* what was written to them
    > 6 months or a year from now.
    >
    > Us the free imgburn utility to burn your ISO's - check the
    > option on it to verify the burn. If the drive slows down and
    > starts "hunting" during the verify (you can hear it), you probably
    > are looking at junk media. You might want to wander over
    > to http://www.videohelp.com/dvdmedia.php and check out
    > the info there on media also. http://www.videohelp.com is
    > a great source of information.
    >
    > As far as finding a burner to use with PSG, maybe they
    > will have it fixed in version 3 (soon), but I find the
    > PSG --> ISO --> to work fine. Many people have
    > reported problems with the burner from PSG issue
    > with multiple systems, and different burners. Seems
    > to be a PSG issue. One aspect of the ISO issue is
    > you can create the ISO, use ISObuster (free) to extract
    > the files and create a new ISO with an "EXTRAS" folder
    > that has things like an executable version of the slideshow,
    > the original pictures, any other write-up or docs you want
    > to add. Then use the new ISO as a master to burn your
    > DVD's (that is what I do -- just finished two batches of
    > 25 DVD's of my two kids soccer team shots that I give
    > to the parents at the end of the season).
    >
    > mikey

    Yes -- I suspect that you might be correct about the media I've been
    using. I'm actually paying more for Staples brand than what you're
    paying for your media in the link provided! I think that I'll order
    some of that T-Y media and give it a try.

    Thanks.

    BRH, Nov 26, 2006
  5. BRH

    Mike Fields Guest

    <BRH> wrote in message
    > Mike Fields wrote:
    >>

    >> Actually, I think the issue may be stated slightly wrong. I think
    >> what you are seeing is a DVD *media quality* issue. I use
    >> a Pioneer A07 burner but lots of people also report good
    >> results with others. I use Taiyo Yuden 8x media all the time
    >> for mine and have no issues. Others have also reported good
    >> results with the T-Y media (use the good stuff, not the
    >> "value line" whatever that is). I have run into issues a couple
    >> of times where someone will view a slide show and say there
    >> was no sound. That is a DVD format issue - for NTSC,
    >> the spec says there must be at least one LPCM or AC3
    >> audio track. Much of the software out there defaults to
    >> Mpeg audio which is the PAL standard. That said, *most*
    >> of the DVD players today will handle that, but I have run
    >> into several that did not (older) and you get no sound at
    >> all. Here is what I have been using with NO coasters (well,
    >> none that were a media issue :) )
    >> http://www.meritline.com/taiyo-yuden-8x-dvd-r-white-inkjet-printable.html
    >> My only association with Meritline is through my
    >> credit card :)
    >>
    >> There are actually TWO issues with low quality media:
    >> 1) do they burn and play at the correct speed
    >> 2) do they still *remember* what was written to them
    >> 6 months or a year from now.
    >>
    >> Us the free imgburn utility to burn your ISO's - check the
    >> option on it to verify the burn. If the drive slows down and
    >> starts "hunting" during the verify (you can hear it), you probably
    >> are looking at junk media. You might want to wander over
    >> to http://www.videohelp.com/dvdmedia.php and check out
    >> the info there on media also. http://www.videohelp.com is
    >> a great source of information.
    >>
    >> As far as finding a burner to use with PSG, maybe they
    >> will have it fixed in version 3 (soon), but I find the
    >> PSG --> ISO --> to work fine. Many people have
    >> reported problems with the burner from PSG issue
    >> with multiple systems, and different burners. Seems
    >> to be a PSG issue. One aspect of the ISO issue is
    >> you can create the ISO, use ISObuster (free) to extract
    >> the files and create a new ISO with an "EXTRAS" folder
    >> that has things like an executable version of the slideshow,
    >> the original pictures, any other write-up or docs you want
    >> to add. Then use the new ISO as a master to burn your
    >> DVD's (that is what I do -- just finished two batches of
    >> 25 DVD's of my two kids soccer team shots that I give
    >> to the parents at the end of the season).
    >>
    >> mikey

    > Yes -- I suspect that you might be correct about the media I've been
    > using. I'm actually paying more for Staples brand than what you're
    > paying for your media in the link provided! I think that I'll order
    > some of that T-Y media and give it a try.
    >
    > Thanks.

    If you go to their site and put 102-272 in the search field,
    you will find the various combinations they have of that
    media (usually starting at 100 packs), but they also have
    single packs of 1 disk in a jewel case with free standard
    shipping for $0.99 each if you want to try a couple (or,
    if you live near Kirkland, Wa, stop by and I will give you
    a couple :) ). Some of their specials have "free shipping"
    or free paper envelopes etc.

    mikey

    Mike Fields, Nov 26, 2006
  6. BRH

    Mark² Guest

    BRH wrote:
    > Both my desktop and laptop computer's DVD burners don't play nicely
    > with the trial version of ProShow Gold. Although I save my
    > slideshows to an ISO file and burn at only 1X, the sound still chops
    > in and out.
    > In an earlier thread, it was stated that this is most likely a DVD
    > burner quality issue. I presently have a Sony DRU-510A in my desktop
    > PC and a Lightscribe Super Multi 8X in my almost brand-new HP laptop.
    > I've been using Staples brand DVD-R media which has always worked fine
    > for me with other applications.
    >
    > I would like to find a reliable DVD burner for my desktop system that
    > will work well with ProShow Gold, and allow me to burn at a decent
    > speed without saving to an ISO file first. An earlier thread
    > suggested that I try a Plextor PX-760A DVD burner, but that model has
    > decidedly poor customer ratings re: reliability at newegg. My
    > desktop system specs are AthlonXP2600, 1 Gig RAM, Windows XP Pro SP2.
    >
    > I'd appreciate hearing which specific DVD burner models are
    > successfully being used with ProShow Gold by others with similar
    > system specs to mine.
    > I'm very impressed with ProShow Gold, but if I can't burn the
    > slideshows to DVD reliably, I won't spend the money for it.

    You can't do better than a Plextor PX-760A (or whatever they may have
    replaced it with in the last 6 months).
    You'll find that most companies which manufacture DVD replicators (a stack
    of 5, 10 or more DVD drives) use either Plextor or Pioneer units. They are
    simply unbeatable in terms of burn reliability.

    -Mark²

    www.pbase.com/markuson

    Mark², Nov 26, 2006
  7. BRH

    Mark² Guest

    BRH wrote:
    > Mike Fields wrote:
    >>

    >> Actually, I think the issue may be stated slightly wrong. I think
    >> what you are seeing is a DVD *media quality* issue. I use
    >> a Pioneer A07 burner but lots of people also report good
    >> results with others. I use Taiyo Yuden 8x media all the time
    >> for mine and have no issues. Others have also reported good
    >> results with the T-Y media (use the good stuff, not the
    >> "value line" whatever that is). I have run into issues a couple
    >> of times where someone will view a slide show and say there
    >> was no sound. That is a DVD format issue - for NTSC,
    >> the spec says there must be at least one LPCM or AC3
    >> audio track. Much of the software out there defaults to
    >> Mpeg audio which is the PAL standard. That said, *most*
    >> of the DVD players today will handle that, but I have run
    >> into several that did not (older) and you get no sound at
    >> all. Here is what I have been using with NO coasters (well,
    >> none that were a media issue :) )
    >> http://www.meritline.com/taiyo-yuden-8x-dvd-r-white-inkjet-printable.html
    >> My only association with Meritline is through my
    >> credit card :)
    >>
    >> There are actually TWO issues with low quality media:
    >> 1) do they burn and play at the correct speed
    >> 2) do they still *remember* what was written to them
    >> 6 months or a year from now.
    >>
    >> Us the free imgburn utility to burn your ISO's - check the
    >> option on it to verify the burn. If the drive slows down and
    >> starts "hunting" during the verify (you can hear it), you probably
    >> are looking at junk media. You might want to wander over
    >> to http://www.videohelp.com/dvdmedia.php and check out
    >> the info there on media also. http://www.videohelp.com is
    >> a great source of information.
    >>
    >> As far as finding a burner to use with PSG, maybe they
    >> will have it fixed in version 3 (soon), but I find the
    >> PSG --> ISO --> to work fine. Many people have
    >> reported problems with the burner from PSG issue
    >> with multiple systems, and different burners. Seems
    >> to be a PSG issue. One aspect of the ISO issue is
    >> you can create the ISO, use ISObuster (free) to extract
    >> the files and create a new ISO with an "EXTRAS" folder
    >> that has things like an executable version of the slideshow,
    >> the original pictures, any other write-up or docs you want
    >> to add. Then use the new ISO as a master to burn your
    >> DVD's (that is what I do -- just finished two batches of
    >> 25 DVD's of my two kids soccer team shots that I give
    >> to the parents at the end of the season).
    >>
    >> mikey

    > Yes -- I suspect that you might be correct about the media I've been
    > using. I'm actually paying more for Staples brand than what you're
    > paying for your media in the link provided! I think that I'll order
    > some of that T-Y media and give it a try.

    I've had large-scale success (as in THOUSANDS) using TDK DVD-Rs that I've
    bought at Costco. I've tried many different brands, including some much
    more expensive titles, but none have been any better/reliable than these
    relatively inexpensive TDKs. I have literally burned THOUSANDS of ProShow
    discs (which I then print directly on, since they are printable) using
    Plextor drives (which are equalled only by some Pioneer drives for quality)
    with my DVD duplication system (the big thing that looks like a coffee
    machine in the following image of my office):

    -Mark²

    www.pbase.com/markuson

    Mark², Nov 26, 2006
  8. BRH

    BRH Guest

    No Luck with TDK Either!

    Mark² wrote:

    > I've had large-scale success (as in THOUSANDS) using TDK DVD-Rs that I've
    > bought at Costco. I've tried many different brands, including some much
    > more expensive titles, but none have been any better/reliable than these
    > relatively inexpensive TDKs. I have literally burned THOUSANDS of ProShow
    > discs (which I then print directly on, since they are printable) using
    > Plextor drives (which are equalled only by some Pioneer drives for quality)
    > with my DVD duplication system (the big thing that looks like a coffee
    > machine in the following image of my office):
    > http://www.pbase.com/markuson/image/66057618/original
    >
    > -Mark²

    Well, I tried TDK DVD-R's today and it results in the same thing -
    choppy sound on my JVC progressive-scan DVD player in the living room.
    But it p[lays fine on my PC, using PowerDVD. The TDK's were on sale at
    CompUSA for $6.99 for 25. (Good deal, if they had worked....)

    I'm starting to think that perhaps I have something set wrong with
    ImgBurn 2.1.0.0. I was using all default settings except for the write
    speed which I had set to 1X. Here are some other settings: Burn-Proof:
    Enabled; Link Size: Auto; Write Type: DAO.

    In the ImgBurn log, I do see one line that has a yellow triangle around
    an explanation point. It states: "Drive E:\(Fat32) does not support
    single files>4Gb." I wonder if that has something to do with my
    problems? The Imagefile isn't located on Drive E, and it's filesize is
    only 330Mb.

    Any suggestions offered to change ImgBurn settings (or anything else
    constructive) would be greatly appreciated.

    I would _really_ like to get this to work on the Living Room's DVD player.

    Thanks!

    BRH, Nov 27, 2006
  9. BRH

    Ken Weitzel Guest

    Re: No Luck with TDK Either!

    BRH wrote:
    > Mark² wrote:
    > >
    >> I've had large-scale success (as in THOUSANDS) using TDK DVD-Rs that
    >> I've bought at Costco. I've tried many different brands, including
    >> some much more expensive titles, but none have been any
    >> better/reliable than these relatively inexpensive TDKs. I have
    >> literally burned THOUSANDS of ProShow discs (which I then print
    >> directly on, since they are printable) using Plextor drives (which are
    >> equalled only by some Pioneer drives for quality) with my DVD
    >> duplication system (the big thing that looks like a coffee machine in
    >> the following image of my office):
    >> http://www.pbase.com/markuson/image/66057618/original
    >>
    >> -Mark²
    >>

    > Well, I tried TDK DVD-R's today and it results in the same thing -
    > choppy sound on my JVC progressive-scan DVD player in the living room.
    > But it p[lays fine on my PC, using PowerDVD. The TDK's were on sale at
    > CompUSA for $6.99 for 25. (Good deal, if they had worked....)
    >
    > I'm starting to think that perhaps I have something set wrong with
    > ImgBurn 2.1.0.0. I was using all default settings except for the write
    > speed which I had set to 1X. Here are some other settings: Burn-Proof:
    > Enabled; Link Size: Auto; Write Type: DAO.
    >
    > In the ImgBurn log, I do see one line that has a yellow triangle around
    > an explanation point. It states: "Drive E:\(Fat32) does not support
    > single files>4Gb." I wonder if that has something to do with my
    > problems? The Imagefile isn't located on Drive E, and it's filesize is
    > only 330Mb.
    >
    > Any suggestions offered to change ImgBurn settings (or anything else
    > constructive) would be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > I would _really_ like to get this to work on the Living Room's DVD player.

    Hi BRH...

    Before you invest too much time or energy into this, I'd like
    to respectfully suggest that you're probably trying to fix something
    that ain't broken :)

    My bet would be that your living room dvd player just doesn't
    want to play burned dvd's (A burned dvd is very different from
    a commercial dvd)

    Before you hang up on me, I'd like you (or others of my generation)
    to think back to when we first burned audio cd's... we could
    easily play them on the kids cheapo cd players, on our living
    room cd players, but when we took them out to our comparatively
    expensive car cd players they wouldn't play worth a darn. Oh, if
    we experimented with different brand blanks, burned them at 1x,
    we could get dribs and drabs, but never consistently nicely.
    Anyone else remember? :)

    I politely request this experiment. Next time you visit family
    or a neighbor with a "living room" dvd player, take along one of
    your newly burned dvd's, and try it out. And/or borrow one of
    their burned dvd's, play it on your living room machine.

    Betcha a dollar to a stale donut that it's just your dvd player,
    and the only thing that's gonna cure it is a new one.

    I like the chocolate covered ones :)

    Take care.

    Ken

    Ken Weitzel, Nov 28, 2006
  10. BRH

    BRH Guest

    Re: No Luck with TDK Either!

    Ken Weitzel wrote:

    > Before you invest too much time or energy into this, I'd like
    > to respectfully suggest that you're probably trying to fix something
    > that ain't broken :)
    >
    > My bet would be that your living room dvd player just doesn't
    > want to play burned dvd's (A burned dvd is very different from
    > a commercial dvd)

    Oh Ken -- If only that were so. I've burned movie backups of commercial
    DVD's and this DVD player hasn't had any problem with any of those.
    It's just this stuff created by ProShow Gold that doesn't seem to agree
    with it.

    > Before you hang up on me, I'd like you (or others of my generation)
    > to think back to when we first burned audio cd's... we could
    > easily play them on the kids cheapo cd players, on our living
    > room cd players, but when we took them out to our comparatively
    > expensive car cd players they wouldn't play worth a darn. Oh, if
    > we experimented with different brand blanks, burned them at 1x,
    > we could get dribs and drabs, but never consistently nicely.
    > Anyone else remember? :)

    Yes, I remember.

    > I politely request this experiment. Next time you visit family
    > or a neighbor with a "living room" dvd player, take along one of
    > your newly burned dvd's, and try it out.

    Good idea. I'll give that a try and report back.

    And/or borrow one of
    > their burned dvd's, play it on your living room machine.
    >
    > Betcha a dollar to a stale donut that it's just your dvd player,
    > and the only thing that's gonna cure it is a new one.
    >
    > I like the chocolate covered ones :)

    I like Boston Creme donuts myself....

    Thanks for your input!

    BRH, Nov 28, 2006
  11. BRH

    Guest

    why not try DVD Slideshow Builder which is very powerful and very
    popular now , i like it very much. It's easy to create a customized DVD
    slide show with photos and videos, and i can add music, transitions,
    motion effects and make beautiful DVD menus.

    you can get it here
    http://www.photo-to-dvd.com/dvd-slideshow-builder.html

    BRH wrote:
    > Both my desktop and laptop computer's DVD burners don't play nicely with
    > the trial version of ProShow Gold. Although I save my slideshows to an
    > ISO file and burn at only 1X, the sound still chops in and out.
    >
    > In an earlier thread, it was stated that this is most likely a DVD
    > burner quality issue. I presently have a Sony DRU-510A in my desktop PC
    > and a Lightscribe Super Multi 8X in my almost brand-new HP laptop.
    > I've been using Staples brand DVD-R media which has always worked fine
    > for me with other applications.
    >
    > I would like to find a reliable DVD burner for my desktop system that
    > will work well with ProShow Gold, and allow me to burn at a decent speed
    > without saving to an ISO file first. An earlier thread suggested that I
    > try a Plextor PX-760A DVD burner, but that model has decidedly poor
    > customer ratings re: reliability at newegg. My desktop system specs are
    > AthlonXP2600, 1 Gig RAM, Windows XP Pro SP2.
    >
    > I'd appreciate hearing which specific DVD burner models are successfully
    > being used with ProShow Gold by others with similar system specs to mine.
    >
    > I'm very impressed with ProShow Gold, but if I can't burn the slideshows
    > to DVD reliably, I won't spend the money for it.
    >
    > Thanks!

    , Nov 28, 2006
  12. BRH

    BRH Guest

    SUCCESS AT LAST!

    Ken Weitzel wrote:

    > Hi BRH...
    >
    > Before you invest too much time or energy into this, I'd like
    > to respectfully suggest that you're probably trying to fix something
    > that ain't broken :)
    >
    > My bet would be that your living room dvd player just doesn't
    > want to play burned dvd's (A burned dvd is very different from
    > a commercial dvd)

    Ken,

    Your reply steered me down the path leading to the solution. The
    problem was indeed with my DVD player. Your post got me to play with
    the DVD players settings - something that I never did before. I finally
    stumbled on the audio options. Specifically, the problem was with the
    the Digital Audio Output settings. The default was something called
    "Stream/PCM". I changed that setting to "Dolby Digital/PCM" and the
    sound smoothed right out. (FWIW, "PCM" by itself also works.) I even
    played with the video settings and found that there were a number of
    options for a 16:9 screen -- something that my one year-old HD TV has.
    So, now the slideshow fills the screen even better than before. And the
    colors are crisper too after playing with other video settings.

    Even the original burns to Staples-brand DVD-R's work fine now. But it
    turns out that TDK's, currently on ale at CompUSA are even cheaper.

    So, thanks to all for your patience and help with this. I'll be
    ordering ProShow Gold in the next few minutes. I expect to become a PSG
    (untalented) junkie in pretty short order now.

    Thanks again!

    BRH, Nov 28, 2006
  13. BRH

    Lionel Guest

    Re: No Luck with TDK Either!

    On Mon, 27 Nov 2006 20:34:50 -0500, BRH <BRH> wrote:

    >Ken Weitzel wrote:
    >> My bet would be that your living room dvd player just doesn't
    >> want to play burned dvd's (A burned dvd is very different from
    >> a commercial dvd)

    >Oh Ken -- If only that were so. I've burned movie backups of commercial
    >DVD's and this DVD player hasn't had any problem with any of those.
    >It's just this stuff created by ProShow Gold that doesn't seem to agree
    >with it.

    Could also easily be that the format of your audio/video data isn't an
    exact match to the DVD format specs, which are very tight. PC DVD
    software will generally play content that won't play on a standalone
    player - especially older units.

    I'm not familiar with the program you're using to generate your
    content, so I don't know how standards-compliant it is, but I
    recommend that you check the documentation & settings to ensure that
    it's configured to generate 100% standards-compliant VOBs, etc,
    because I haven't yet seen such a program that is configured correctly
    by default.

    Oh, & one other surprisingly useful tip is to get your program to
    generate an ISO disk image, then burn that to your DVD-R with a
    separate burning program, rather than burning direct from your main
    program.

    Lionel, Nov 28, 2006