Pros and cons: Internal Vs External HDD

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by nonewz_is_goodnewz, Feb 13, 2004.

  1. Hi...

    I need some opinions. I want to upgrade my system, starting with the HDD
    and memory.

    As far as HDDs go, I currently have an 80gig HDD, partitioned into two
    drives.

    I want to add a 160 - 200 gig HDD.

    My questions are, if I add that much drive space, is there going to be any
    problems/conflicts that I should be aware of? Are there any limits as to
    how MUCH drive space I can add on a Pentium 4 1.7 gig system running Win XP
    home?

    The other question that I have is, what are the pros and cons regarding
    buying an internal or external drive. I have the space to put an internal
    drive in, but what benefits would I have to adding an external or internal
    over the other?

    Thanks!

    Linda

    nonewz_is_goodnewz, Feb 13, 2004

  2. nonewz_is_goodnewz

    philo Guest

    "nonewz_is_goodnewz" <> wrote in
    message news:TDXWb.302768$na.455428@attbi_s04...
    > Hi...
    >
    > I need some opinions. I want to upgrade my system, starting with the HDD
    > and memory.
    >
    > As far as HDDs go, I currently have an 80gig HDD, partitioned into two
    > drives.
    >
    > I want to add a 160 - 200 gig HDD.
    >
    > My questions are, if I add that much drive space, is there going to be any
    > problems/conflicts that I should be aware of? Are there any limits as to
    > how MUCH drive space I can add on a Pentium 4 1.7 gig system running Win

    XP
    > home?
    >
    > The other question that I have is, what are the pros and cons regarding
    > buying an internal or external drive. I have the space to put an internal
    > drive in, but what benefits would I have to adding an external or internal
    > over the other?
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > Linda

    If you go with an internal drive over 137 gigs
    there *might* be a bios limitation requiring you to get an additional pci
    controller

    you won;t have that problem with and external drive

    philo, Feb 13, 2004