Pros and cons for Shuttle or similar PC cases?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Tim Lawson, Dec 28, 2007.

  1. Tim Lawson

    Tim Lawson Guest

    Hi:

    My current PC is in a tower case. I'd like to save some space and cut
    down on the noise level by transplanting the exisitng internals into
    one of the small form factor cases that are available. For example, a
    Shuttle SG31G2
    (http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=360702 .

    Main specs for the donor hardware are -
    Intel core2 duo
    dual boot linux and XP
    WD 300 GByte SATA disk
    DVD burner

    Has anyone got any stories, good or bad, or hints and tips on this
    sirt of exercise? Particular cases to avoid, good deals, etc?

    Cheers

    Tim Lawson
    Tim Lawson, Dec 28, 2007

  2. Tim Lawson

    Richard Guest

    Tim Lawson wrote:

    > My current PC is in a tower case. I'd like to save some space and cut
    > down on the noise level by transplanting the exisitng internals into
    > one of the small form factor cases that are available. For example, a
    > Shuttle SG31G2
    > (http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=360702 .
    >
    > Main specs for the donor hardware are -
    > Intel core2 duo
    > dual boot linux and XP
    > WD 300 GByte SATA disk
    > DVD burner
    >
    > Has anyone got any stories, good or bad, or hints and tips on this
    > sirt of exercise? Particular cases to avoid, good deals, etc?

    The cases are motherboard specific, so you are tossing the case, psu and
    mobo out when its upgrade time,

    PSUs usually have a 40mm fan, which is bloody noisy. Only 1 slot so your
    limited to whats onboard largly, I have an esata card in mine to hook up
    more drives.

    There are plenty of capable mini-atx boards which will allow you to make
    a system not a lot bigger then a shuttle but with some upgradeability in
    the future. The usual obstical is the power supply being what it is and
    not a common size to upgrade it, but I have found that often you can
    swap the boards over as they are the same size despite the case not being.
    Richard, Dec 28, 2007

  3. Tim Lawson

    no Guest

    On Fri, 28 Dec 2007 20:47:21 +1300, Tim Lawson <tlawson@remove_this.xtra.co.nz> wrote:

    >Hi:
    >
    >My current PC is in a tower case. I'd like to save some space and cut
    >down on the noise level by transplanting the exisitng internals into
    >one of the small form factor cases that are available. For example, a
    >Shuttle SG31G2
    >(http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=360702 .
    >
    >Main specs for the donor hardware are -
    >Intel core2 duo
    >dual boot linux and XP
    >WD 300 GByte SATA disk
    >DVD burner
    >
    >Has anyone got any stories, good or bad, or hints and tips on this
    >sirt of exercise? Particular cases to avoid, good deals, etc?
    >
    >Cheers
    >
    >Tim Lawson

    What about Video/Sound..?
    no , Dec 28, 2007
  4. Tim Lawson

    no Guest

    On Fri, 28 Dec 2007 21:17:35 +1300, Richard <> wrote:

    >Tim Lawson wrote:
    >
    >> My current PC is in a tower case. I'd like to save some space and cut
    >> down on the noise level by transplanting the exisitng internals into
    >> one of the small form factor cases that are available. For example, a
    >> Shuttle SG31G2
    >> (http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=360702 .
    >>
    >> Main specs for the donor hardware are -
    >> Intel core2 duo
    >> dual boot linux and XP
    >> WD 300 GByte SATA disk
    >> DVD burner
    >>
    >> Has anyone got any stories, good or bad, or hints and tips on this
    >> sirt of exercise? Particular cases to avoid, good deals, etc?

    >The cases are motherboard specific, so you are tossing the case, psu and
    >mobo out when its upgrade time,
    >
    >PSUs usually have a 40mm fan, which is bloody noisy. Only 1 slot so your
    >limited to whats onboard largly, I have an esata card in mine to hook up
    >more drives.
    >
    >There are plenty of capable mini-atx boards which will allow you to make
    >a system not a lot bigger then a shuttle but with some upgradeability in
    >the future. The usual obstical is the power supply being what it is and
    >not a common size to upgrade it, but I have found that often you can
    >swap the boards over as they are the same size despite the case not being.

    Plus the limitations of Power if you need to run a decent video card..
    no , Dec 28, 2007
  5. Tim Lawson

    Dave Taylor Guest

    Tim Lawson <tlawson@remove_this.xtra.co.nz> wrote in

    > Has anyone got any stories, good or bad, or hints and tips on this
    > sirt of exercise? Particular cases to avoid, good deals, etc?

    Don't those type of cases use the case as a heatsink?
    Sounds like an all in one type box, with maybe a hard drive/dvd swap only.
    Maybe some ram and one extra card.

    Waste of money, spend it on another case and PSU, and cpu fan all designed
    to be quiet. Swap it all in.

    --
    Ciao, Dave
    Dave Taylor, Dec 28, 2007
  6. Tim Lawson

    impossible Guest

    "Tim Lawson" <tlawson@remove_this.xtra.co.nz> wrote in message
    > Hi:
    >
    > My current PC is in a tower case. I'd like to save some space and cut
    > down on the noise level by transplanting the exisitng internals into
    > one of the small form factor cases that are available. For example, a
    > Shuttle SG31G2
    > (http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=360702 .
    >
    > Main specs for the donor hardware are -
    > Intel core2 duo
    > dual boot linux and XP
    > WD 300 GByte SATA disk
    > DVD burner
    >
    > Has anyone got any stories, good or bad, or hints and tips on this
    > sirt of exercise? Particular cases to avoid, good deals, etc?

    Can't beat a sff case for space-saving, but you can do much better
    noise-wise with some of the quiet designs for mini-towers and mid-towers
    from Antec, NZXT, and others. Alternatively, look into a desktop-replacement
    notebook.
    impossible, Dec 28, 2007
  7. Tim Lawson

    sam Guest

    Tim Lawson wrote:
    > Hi:
    >
    > My current PC is in a tower case. I'd like to save some space and cut
    > down on the noise level by transplanting the exisitng internals into
    > one of the small form factor cases that are available. For example, a
    > Shuttle SG31G2
    > (http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=360702 .
    >
    > Main specs for the donor hardware are -
    > Intel core2 duo
    > dual boot linux and XP
    > WD 300 GByte SATA disk
    > DVD burner
    >
    > Has anyone got any stories, good or bad, or hints and tips on this
    > sirt of exercise? Particular cases to avoid, good deals, etc?
    >
    > Cheers
    >
    > Tim Lawson

    That will tie you to the Shuttle motherboard and cooling and restrict
    the number of slots available.
    Apart from that they are good kit.
    Another option is the Thermaltake Lanbox which is a bit bigger, takes an
    m-atx mobo and comes in a couple of varieties
    Home Theatre
    http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=354758
    Lanparty bling
    http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=353321
    and there is a Lanbox lite which is what I want for the next build.
    http://www.thermaltake.com/product/Chassis/miniCase/lanboxLite/vf6000bns.asp
    sam, Dec 28, 2007
  8. In article <Xns9A14F3495331Ddaveytaynospamplshot@203.97.37.6>, Dave Taylor
    did write:

    > Don't those type of cases use the case as a heatsink?

    Not my Shuttles. They have heat pipes running from the CPU to a radiator at
    the back.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Dec 28, 2007
  9. Tim Lawson

    Tim Lawson Guest

    On Sat, 29 Dec 2007 11:30:49 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    <_zealand> wrote:

    >In article <Xns9A14F3495331Ddaveytaynospamplshot@203.97.37.6>, Dave Taylor
    >did write:
    >
    >> Don't those type of cases use the case as a heatsink?

    >Not my Shuttles. They have heat pipes running from the CPU to a radiator at
    >the back.

    What's your opinion of the noise levels from the Shuttles?

    Cheers

    Tim Lawson
    Tim Lawson, Dec 30, 2007
  10. Tim Lawson

    Tim Lawson Guest

    On Fri, 28 Dec 2007 21:56:50 +1300, no wrote:

    >On Fri, 28 Dec 2007 21:17:35 +1300, Richard <> wrote:
    >
    >>Tim Lawson wrote:
    >>
    >>> My current PC is in a tower case. I'd like to save some space and cut
    >>> down on the noise level by transplanting the exisitng internals into
    >>> one of the small form factor cases that are available. For example, a
    >>> Shuttle SG31G2
    >>> (http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=360702 .
    >>>
    >>> Main specs for the donor hardware are -
    >>> Intel core2 duo
    >>> dual boot linux and XP
    >>> WD 300 GByte SATA disk
    >>> DVD burner
    >>>
    >>> Has anyone got any stories, good or bad, or hints and tips on this
    >>> sirt of exercise? Particular cases to avoid, good deals, etc?

    >>The cases are motherboard specific, so you are tossing the case, psu and
    >>mobo out when its upgrade time,
    >>
    >>PSUs usually have a 40mm fan, which is bloody noisy. Only 1 slot so your
    >>limited to whats onboard largly, I have an esata card in mine to hook up
    >>more drives.
    >>
    >>There are plenty of capable mini-atx boards which will allow you to make
    >>a system not a lot bigger then a shuttle but with some upgradeability in
    >>the future. The usual obstical is the power supply being what it is and
    >>not a common size to upgrade it, but I have found that often you can
    >>swap the boards over as they are the same size despite the case not being.

    >Plus the limitations of Power if you need to run a decent video card..

    Not quite sure what a' decent' video card is, but I'm not going to be
    using the machine for any particularly heavy duty graphical stuff.

    Cheers

    Tim Lawson
    Tim Lawson, Dec 30, 2007
  11. Tim Lawson

    Tim Lawson Guest

    On Fri, 28 Dec 2007 21:56:50 +1300, no wrote:

    >On Fri, 28 Dec 2007 21:17:35 +1300, Richard <> wrote:
    >
    >>Tim Lawson wrote:
    >>
    >>> My current PC is in a tower case. I'd like to save some space and cut
    >>> down on the noise level by transplanting the exisitng internals into
    >>> one of the small form factor cases that are available. For example, a
    >>> Shuttle SG31G2
    >>> (http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=360702 .
    >>>
    >>> Main specs for the donor hardware are -
    >>> Intel core2 duo
    >>> dual boot linux and XP
    >>> WD 300 GByte SATA disk
    >>> DVD burner
    >>>
    >>> Has anyone got any stories, good or bad, or hints and tips on this
    >>> sirt of exercise? Particular cases to avoid, good deals, etc?

    >>The cases are motherboard specific, so you are tossing the case, psu and
    >>mobo out when its upgrade time,
    >>
    >>PSUs usually have a 40mm fan, which is bloody noisy. Only 1 slot so your
    >>limited to whats onboard largly, I have an esata card in mine to hook up
    >>more drives.
    >>
    >>There are plenty of capable mini-atx boards which will allow you to make
    >>a system not a lot bigger then a shuttle but with some upgradeability in
    >>the future. The usual obstical is the power supply being what it is and
    >>not a common size to upgrade it, but I have found that often you can
    >>swap the boards over as they are the same size despite the case not being.

    >Plus the limitations of Power if you need to run a decent video card..

    I'm not sure what a decent video card is, but I'm not going to be
    using the system for anything that's particularly demanding on the
    graphics.

    Cheers
    Tim Lawson
    Tim Lawson, Dec 30, 2007
  12. Tim Lawson

    Tim Lawson Guest

    On Sat, 29 Dec 2007 08:35:39 +1100, sam <> wrote:

    >Tim Lawson wrote:
    >> Hi:
    >>
    >> My current PC is in a tower case. I'd like to save some space and cut
    >> down on the noise level by transplanting the exisitng internals into
    >> one of the small form factor cases that are available. For example, a
    >> Shuttle SG31G2
    >> (http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=360702 .
    >>
    >> Main specs for the donor hardware are -
    >> Intel core2 duo
    >> dual boot linux and XP
    >> WD 300 GByte SATA disk
    >> DVD burner
    >>
    >> Has anyone got any stories, good or bad, or hints and tips on this
    >> sirt of exercise? Particular cases to avoid, good deals, etc?
    >>
    >> Cheers
    >>
    >> Tim Lawson

    >That will tie you to the Shuttle motherboard and cooling and restrict
    >the number of slots available.
    >Apart from that they are good kit.
    >Another option is the Thermaltake Lanbox which is a bit bigger, takes an
    >m-atx mobo and comes in a couple of varieties
    >Home Theatre
    >http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=354758
    >Lanparty bling
    >http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=353321
    >and there is a Lanbox lite which is what I want for the next build.
    >http://www.thermaltake.com/product/Chassis/miniCase/lanboxLite/vf6000bns.asp

    Thanks for the reply.

    Any idea what the noise levels on these are like?

    Cheers

    Tim Lawson
    Tim Lawson, Dec 30, 2007
  13. In article <>, Tim Lawson did
    write:

    > What's your opinion of the noise levels from the Shuttles?

    Moderate, i.e. OK for an office, probably not for a living-room situation.
    My older one makes occasional moaning noises every now and then, which seem
    to come from the fan on the graphics card.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Dec 30, 2007
  14. Tim Lawson

    sam Guest

    Tim Lawson wrote:
    > On Sat, 29 Dec 2007 08:35:39 +1100, sam <> wrote:
    >
    >> Tim Lawson wrote:
    >>> Hi:
    >>>
    >>> My current PC is in a tower case. I'd like to save some space and cut
    >>> down on the noise level by transplanting the exisitng internals into
    >>> one of the small form factor cases that are available. For example, a
    >>> Shuttle SG31G2
    >>> (http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=360702 .
    >>>
    >>> Main specs for the donor hardware are -
    >>> Intel core2 duo
    >>> dual boot linux and XP
    >>> WD 300 GByte SATA disk
    >>> DVD burner
    >>>
    >>> Has anyone got any stories, good or bad, or hints and tips on this
    >>> sirt of exercise? Particular cases to avoid, good deals, etc?
    >>>
    >>> Cheers
    >>>
    >>> Tim Lawson

    >> That will tie you to the Shuttle motherboard and cooling and restrict
    >> the number of slots available.
    >> Apart from that they are good kit.
    >> Another option is the Thermaltake Lanbox which is a bit bigger, takes an
    >> m-atx mobo and comes in a couple of varieties
    >> Home Theatre
    >> http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=354758
    >> Lanparty bling
    >> http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=353321
    >> and there is a Lanbox lite which is what I want for the next build.
    >> http://www.thermaltake.com/product/Chassis/miniCase/lanboxLite/vf6000bns.asp

    > Thanks for the reply.
    >
    > Any idea what the noise levels on these are like?
    >
    > Cheers
    >
    > Tim Lawson

    Dependent on the cooler and HD you use.
    sam, Dec 30, 2007
  15. Tim Lawson

    Richard Guest

    Tim Lawson wrote:
    > What's your opinion of the noise levels from the Shuttles?

    Very noisy

    the fan sits right on the radiator type heatsink so there is lots of
    wind noise there, and the 40mm psu fans scream along with lots of wind
    noise too.
    Richard, Dec 30, 2007
  16. Tim Lawson

    Richard Guest

    sam wrote:

    >> Tim Lawson

    > Dependent on the cooler and HD you use.

    You cant change cooler, you have to use the supplied one since it
    connects to the exhaust fan.

    I think the new ones finally have some dampening material between the
    hdd and the case, my old athlon one didnt and it sounds like a rat
    trying to get out whenever there is drive access
    Richard, Dec 30, 2007
  17. In article <47771e40$>, Richard did write:

    > Tim Lawson wrote:
    >
    >> What's your opinion of the noise levels from the Shuttles?

    > Very noisy
    >
    > the fan sits right on the radiator type heatsink so there is lots of
    > wind noise there, and the 40mm psu fans scream along with lots of wind
    > noise too.

    What model(s) Shuttle you got? I have an SB75G2 (bought 2004) and an SN25P
    (bought last year). I would not describe either as "very noisy".
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Dec 30, 2007
  18. Tim Lawson

    sam Guest

    Richard wrote:
    > sam wrote:
    >
    >>> Tim Lawson

    >> Dependent on the cooler and HD you use.

    > You cant change cooler, you have to use the supplied one since it
    > connects to the exhaust fan.
    >
    > I think the new ones finally have some dampening material between the
    > hdd and the case, my old athlon one didnt and it sounds like a rat
    > trying to get out whenever there is drive access

    I think you may be talking about the shuttle.
    I suggested the Thermaltake Lanbox
    sam, Dec 30, 2007
  19. Tim Lawson

    sam Guest

    sam wrote:
    > Richard wrote:

    >>> Dependent on the cooler and HD you use.

    >> You cant change cooler, you have to use the supplied one since it
    >> connects to the exhaust fan.
    >>
    >> I think the new ones finally have some dampening material between the
    >> hdd and the case, my old athlon one didnt and it sounds like a rat
    >> trying to get out whenever there is drive access

    > I think you may be talking about the shuttle.
    > I suggested the Thermaltake Lanbox

    I see Silverstone do a SFF case m-ATX case too.
    http://www.bdt.co.nz/computer/product.asp?item=458946
    sam, Dec 30, 2007