    My Dell Dimension would not boot with any non Dell memory!

    Which brands of PCs require RAM from the manufacturer and will not accept
    generic memory???

    A, May 27, 2005

  2. A

    Pat Guest

    A wrote:
    > My Dell Dimension would not boot with any non Dell memory!
    >
    > Which brands of PCs require RAM from the manufacturer and will not accept
    > generic memory???

    With all due respect, I find that very hard to believe. Some of the
    *early* PentiumII desktop systems from Dell and Gateway used some weird,
    non-standard SDRAM modules. For whatever reason, their motherboard
    needed RAM with a weird "cas latency" and required RAM with different
    timing than "standard" modules. However, they could still be bought if
    you verified the modules had these traits.

    If you're dealing with a more recent PC, is it possible you have a
    Pentium4 motherboard that simply requires RD RAM? It's kind of
    "proprietary" in the sense that it required a P4 and an Intel
    Northbridge, and a company had to be paid licensing fees for the
    technology, but it's still readily available, albeit for a steep price.

    Why don't you go to crucial.com and enter in the exact model for this
    Dimension system. What types of RAM does it say are compatible with
    your system?

    Pat, May 28, 2005

  3. A

    AG Guest

    "A" <> wrote in message
    > My Dell Dimension would not boot with any non Dell memory!
    >
    > Which brands of PCs require RAM from the manufacturer and will not accept
    > generic memory???

    I've seen some proprietary machines like Sun Cobalt servers that didn't work
    with any RAM except what came from Sun, no matter how carefully you matched
    the specs but never a Dell. Maybe the speed was different on the RAM?

    AG

    AG, May 28, 2005
  4. On Fri, 27 May 2005 22:58:37 +0000 (UTC), "A" <> wrote:

    >My Dell Dimension would not boot with any non Dell memory!
    >
    >Which brands of PCs require RAM from the manufacturer and will not accept
    >generic memory???

    Some Compaqs, back in the P120 era, required the Compaq RAM, or at
    least Compaq and at least some non-Compaq RAM would not co-exist. A
    friend discovered this when he tried just that.

    Tom

    Tom MacIntyre, May 28, 2005
  5. On Sun, 29 May 2005 01:47:07 GMT, Barry Watzman
    <> wrote:

    >Compatability problems have always existed, even today, even when both
    >of the memory modules in question meet all specs and both work perfectly
    >(by themselves). Some memory modules just don't like to coexist with
    >other memory modules on the same memory bus in the same system at the
    >same time.
    >
    >However, it's a long leap from such a finding in one particular instance
    >with a tiny number of specific modules, to conclude that a computer
    >requires proprietary RAM.

    Right...just about what I said...I put a stick of generic RAM in a
    Presario 486 and it worked fine with the Compaq RAM which was
    imbedded. :)

    Tom

    Tom MacIntyre, May 29, 2005
  6. A

    Loopback Guest

    Hard to troubleshoot from my couch without a model number, post the service
    tag.

    Cheers..

    Loopback, Jun 5, 2005