    site, but I want it to point to the correclty registered site. can i
    do this without google thinking it's a mirror site?
    thanks.
    lori, Dec 2, 2004

  2. lori

    G. Morgan Guest

    On 2 Dec 2004 13:26:20 -0800 "lori"
    used 5 lines of text to write in newsgroup: 24hoursupport.helpdesk

    >can someone please tell me the proper way to register a commonly
    >mispelled version of a web site? I want to register the misspelled
    >site, but I want it to point to the correclty registered site. can i
    >do this without google thinking it's a mirror site?
    >thanks.

    You are better off asking that question in: alt.internet.search-engines

    --
    -Graham

    Remove the 'snails' from my email
    G. Morgan, Dec 2, 2004

  3. lori

    anthonyberet Guest

    "lori" <> wrote in message
    > can someone please tell me the proper way to register a commonly
    > mispelled version of a web site? I want to register the misspelled
    > site, but I want it to point to the correclty registered site. can i
    > do this without google thinking it's a mirror site?
    > thanks.

    Whats wrong with google thinking it's a mirror site?
    (I should think Google can differentiate between mirrors and redirects
    anyway).
    What exactly do you mean?

    Anyway, you can register domain names with plenty of companies:
    http://www.google.com/search?q=regi...illa-search&start=0&start=0&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8
    anthonyberet, Dec 2, 2004
  4. lori

    anthonyberet Guest

    "G. Morgan" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 02 Dec 2004 21:59:21 GMT ""
    > used 15 lines of text to write in newsgroup: 24hoursupport.helpdesk
    >
    > >Thru the DNS entry I'm pretty sure.
    > >
    > >You can WHOIS
    > >gamesfaq.com
    > >and
    > >gamefaqs.com
    > >
    > >They do it.

    > I've heard that Google will lower the PR for sites that are not

    re-directed in a
    > certain way. Maybe it was the META-Refresh method.

    Why do you care if your redirect gets a lower PR?
    - surely you only want the misspelling to happen when people type out the
    URL? - not when people click on a google hit?
    Are you trying to even-out traffic or something like that? (or steal
    advertising revenue?)
    A redirect is going to hit the homepage anyway.
    anthonyberet, Dec 2, 2004
  5. lori

    Guest

    On 2 Dec 2004 13:26:20 -0800, (lori) wrote:

    |> can someone please tell me the proper way to register a commonly
    |> mispelled version of a web site? I want to register the misspelled
    |> site, but I want it to point to the correclty registered site. can i
    |> do this without google thinking it's a mirror site?

    Thru the DNS entry I'm pretty sure.

    You can WHOIS
    gamesfaq.com
    and
    gamefaqs.com

    They do it.
    , Dec 2, 2004
  6. lori

    G. Morgan Guest

    G. Morgan, Dec 2, 2004
  7. lori

    G. Morgan Guest

    On Thu, 2 Dec 2004 21:54:45 -0000 "anthonyberet"
    used 28 lines of text to write in newsgroup: 24hoursupport.helpdesk

    >"G. Morgan" <> wrote in message
    >> On Thu, 02 Dec 2004 21:59:21 GMT ""
    >> used 15 lines of text to write in newsgroup: 24hoursupport.helpdesk
    >>
    >> >Thru the DNS entry I'm pretty sure.
    >> >
    >> >You can WHOIS
    >> >gamesfaq.com
    >> >and
    >> >gamefaqs.com
    >> >
    >> >They do it.

    >> I've heard that Google will lower the PR for sites that are not

    >re-directed in a
    >> certain way. Maybe it was the META-Refresh method.
    >>

    >Why do you care if your redirect gets a lower PR?

    The main site gets a penalized with a lower PR.

    >- surely you only want the misspelling to happen when people type out the
    >URL? - not when people click on a google hit?

    right.

    >Are you trying to even-out traffic or something like that? (or steal
    >advertising revenue?)

    Huh?

    >A redirect is going to hit the homepage anyway.

    I know. The point I was making is that Google penalizes you for certain
    redirect methods. I'm not a search engine expert, but I read about it on
    alt.internet.search-engines. I forget which method is bad to use. It might be
    an Apache 301 or 302, or the Meta-refresh, or domain forwarding. Google also
    penalizes for gateway pages, which a re-direct might be considered.

    I know there is a proper way to do it. That's why I suggested the OP go to the
    alt.internet.search-engines group to ask.

    G. Morgan, Dec 2, 2004
  8. lori

    anthonyberet Guest

    "G. Morgan" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 2 Dec 2004 21:54:45 -0000 "anthonyberet"
    > used 28 lines of text to write in newsgroup: 24hoursupport.helpdesk
    >

    > >"G. Morgan" <> wrote in message
    > >> On Thu, 02 Dec 2004 21:59:21 GMT ""
    > >> used 15 lines of text to write in newsgroup: 24hoursupport.helpdesk

    > >> I've heard that Google will lower the PR for sites that are not

    > >re-directed in a
    > >> certain way. Maybe it was the META-Refresh method.
    > >>

    > >Why do you care if your redirect gets a lower PR?

    > The main site gets a penalized with a lower PR.
    >

    > >- surely you only want the misspelling to happen when people type out the
    > >URL? - not when people click on a google hit?

    > right.
    >

    > >Are you trying to even-out traffic or something like that? (or steal
    > >advertising revenue?)

    > Huh?

    Oh, sorry, I thought you were the OP.
    It was (is?) common for advertisers to register mispellings of popular sites
    in order to steal their traffic. - I thought the OP might be up to something
    like this.
    They didn't say they owned the site they want to redirect to (and if they
    do, they wouldn't have asked that question).

    > >A redirect is going to hit the homepage anyway.

    > I know. The point I was making is that Google penalizes you for certain
    > redirect methods. I'm not a search engine expert, but I read about it on
    > alt.internet.search-engines. I forget which method is bad to use. It

    might be
    > an Apache 301 or 302, or the Meta-refresh, or domain forwarding. Google

    also
    > penalizes for gateway pages, which a re-direct might be considered.
    >
    > I know there is a proper way to do it. That's why I suggested the OP go

    to the
    > alt.internet.search-engines group to ask.

    I see - I would be surprised if a simple redirect would lower PR though -
    though a redirect page would not have many links to it, so would have a low
    PR in itself. - Surely this would still add to the main site's PR though?
    anthonyberet, Dec 3, 2004