    I think that's the name ) but neither takes subscribers from abroad .

    Ta,
    El P.
    El Penguino, Sep 9, 2003

  2. El Penguino

    MarkH Guest

    El Penguino <> wrote in
    news::

    > Hi Folks,
    >
    > I'm with Maxnet and they are Ok for an ISP but their news server fails
    > to impress , particularly for binaries . I asked if it was good before
    > joining and I was told it was good , but the reality is non-existent
    > completion .

    There is no NZ ISP that offers ‘good’ usenet binaries for free.

    > I have 2 questions perhaps you can help with :
    >
    > 1: Is there a NZ ISP that offers Usenet properly ? Completion ,
    > retention etc .

    No!

    > 2; Is there an overseas provider you use or know of who will let me
    > subscribe from NZ . I tried to subscribe to Clara (UK) and Infornews (
    > I think that's the name ) but neither takes subscribers from abroad .

    Easynews. US$9.95 per month (or 6GB, whichever comes first) if you use up
    your 6GB and are desperate to download more, you can immediately resubsribe
    and reset your month (or 6GB).

    Easynews is one of the best for completion, retention and speed. I have
    been using them for over 2 years, they’re great. You can connect to them
    and download binaries by NNTP or through their web interface.

    Go to: www.easynews.com

    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    understand binary and those that don't"
    MarkH, Sep 9, 2003

  3. El Penguino

    Brett Cooper Guest

    Re: Dialup ISPs

    www.E3.co.nz are really great, 0800 tech support 5mb webpage and $15 a
    month* (if you pay by CC and pay for a year at a time)

    Brett

    Brett Cooper, Sep 10, 2003
  4. El Penguino

    max Guest

    Re: Dialup ISPs

    On Wed, 10 Sep 2003 11:41:59 +1200, Brett Cooper
    <> wrote:

    >www.E3.co.nz are really great, 0800 tech support 5mb webpage and $15 a
    >month* (if you pay by CC and pay for a year at a time)
    >
    >Brett
    >
    >On Wed, 10 Sep 2003 01:55:01 -0400, "Senthil Kumar"
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>In a similiar spirit, which ISP offers the best bang for the buck in the
    >>Wellington area?
    >>
    >>I am looking at Unlimited dialup. At http://www.consumer.org.nz they list
    >>a few. Any recommendations ?
    >>
    >>cheers

    All I can say is that they must have improved a lot then in the last
    year. Yes they do have a phone number, but whenever I phoned it, it
    was a message, which they never replied to. Pretty high risk to pay a
    year in advance.
    max, Sep 10, 2003
  5. Dialup ISPs

    Senthil Kumar, Sep 10, 2003
  6. El Penguino

    geoffm Guest

    On Tue, 09 Sep 2003 21:15:43 +1200, El Penguino <>
    wrote:

    >2; Is there an overseas provider you use or know of who will let me
    >subscribe from NZ . I tried to subscribe to Clara (UK) and Infornews (
    >I think that's the name ) but neither takes subscribers from abroad .

    I use newscene.com - excellent retention, all groups and all parts.
    Geoff
    geoffm, Sep 10, 2003
  7. El Penguino

    El Penguino Guest

    On Tue, 9 Sep 2003 12:13:47 +0000 (UTC), MarkH <>
    wrote:

    >Think about the upstream bandwidth! The US based companies have a much
    >easier job here. A NZ binary usenet company would have to pay too much to
    >get so many GBs a day from overseas.

    Yes , I can imagine a zillion bits n bytes back n forth to provide a
    good service , but once a few/some/many people are using the local
    server and not going direct to the US , overall the ISP then needs
    less BW , or ?

    I didn't expect it to be free either ( even if HDDs are cheap ) - I
    thought a premium ISP would offer this , but there doesn't see to be
    one .

    Ach well, I'm going to try one of the 2 providers mentioned - thanks
    guys.
    El Penguino, Sep 10, 2003
  8. El Penguino

    max Guest

    Re: Dialup ISPs

    On Wed, 10 Sep 2003 21:03:22 +1200, Johnny B Goode
    <> wrote:

    >On Wed, 10 Sep 2003 13:30:02 +1200, max <> wrote with a
    >sharpened banana:
    >
    >>On Wed, 10 Sep 2003 11:41:59 +1200, Brett Cooper
    >><> wrote:
    >>

    >>>www.E3.co.nz are really great, 0800 tech support 5mb webpage and $15 a
    >>>month* (if you pay by CC and pay for a year at a time)
    >>>
    >>>Brett

    >>All I can say is that they must have improved a lot then in the last
    >>year. Yes they do have a phone number, but whenever I phoned it, it
    >>was a message, which they never replied to. Pretty high risk to pay a
    >>year in advance.

    >I've been with them for about 3 years now, sure they had some problems for a
    >while after the free isp's shut up shop and got heaps of new subscribers too
    >fast but they've been pretty good the last year or so.

    I guess that was the time I joined them,and they did get a lot of
    flack back then, but they should have capped their user base until
    they had the resources. There is a whole group of them isps joined
    with e3 and visp.co.nz.
    max, Sep 10, 2003
  9. El Penguino

    MarkH Guest

    El Penguino <> wrote in

    > On Tue, 9 Sep 2003 12:13:47 +0000 (UTC), MarkH <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Think about the upstream bandwidth! The US based companies have a
    >>much easier job here. A NZ binary usenet company would have to pay
    >>too much to get so many GBs a day from overseas.

    > Yes , I can imagine a zillion bits n bytes back n forth to provide a
    > good service , but once a few/some/many people are using the local
    > server and not going direct to the US , overall the ISP then needs
    > less BW , or ?

    Yes, if offering a fantastic news service would guarantee at least half of
    Xtra’s customers + half of IHUG’s customer + half of Clearnet’s customers,
    then this premium provider would be NZ’s biggest by far. Well worth the
    cost of bringing down the binaries.

    Unfortunately this would not happen, the number of customers gained would
    not be enough to recover the cost, so no-one does it.

    MarkH, Sep 10, 2003