    Is anyone using a proper SIP address like:
    'SIP: '

    Nick

    NickC, Mar 30, 2006

  2. NickC

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "NickC" <> wrote in message
    news:
    > Everyone here seems to be using standard telephone type
    > numbers instead of a proper SIP address, is there any
    > reason why?

    Perhaps because that's what you dial from a telephone..? How would I dial
    a full SIP address from a normal phone plugged into an ATA, which I would
    guess an awful lot of people have..?

    To my mind this seems to defeat part of the
    > inherent advantage of using VoIP.
    > Is anyone using a proper SIP address like:
    > 'SIP: '

    My system is configured to use this format on speed dials, which permit
    alphanumeric characters, but not everyone can do this. That's what ENUM is
    for, amongst other things.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Mar 30, 2006

  3. NickC

    Guest

    On Thu, 30 Mar 2006 14:39:23 +0100, "NickC"
    <> wrote:

    >Everyone here seems to be using standard telephone type numbers instead of a
    >proper SIP address, is there any reason why? To my mind this seems to
    >defeat part of the inherent advantage of using VoIP.
    >
    >Is anyone using a proper SIP address like:
    > 'SIP: '
    >
    >Nick

    Ok you tell me how I can dial 'SIP: ' from a
    standard telephone ? .The inherent advantage of using VoIP to my way
    of thinking is for starters it enables people who have a cable
    broadband connection to dispense with the use of an expensive land
    line. Why anyone who needs to have an expencive landline to get an
    internet connection bothers with VOIP I will never know .

    , Mar 30, 2006
  4. NickC

    Paul Cupis Guest

    wrote:
    > On Thu, 30 Mar 2006 14:39:23 +0100, "NickC"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Everyone here seems to be using standard telephone type numbers instead of a
    >> proper SIP address, is there any reason why? To my mind this seems to
    >> defeat part of the inherent advantage of using VoIP.
    >>
    >> Is anyone using a proper SIP address like:
    >> 'SIP: '

    > Ok you tell me how I can dial 'SIP: ' from a
    > standard telephone ? .The inherent advantage of using VoIP to my way
    > of thinking is for starters it enables people who have a cable
    > broadband connection to dispense with the use of an expensive land
    > line.

    Though they may find that the reliability of their telephone calls
    decreases without the PSTN phone line.

    Paul Cupis, Mar 30, 2006
  5. NickC

    Guest

    On Thu, 30 Mar 2006 18:20:01 +0100, Paul Cupis <>
    wrote:
    >Though they may find that the reliability of their telephone calls
    >decreases without the PSTN phone line.

    I haven't noticed any difference except when I was a customer of a
    certain German provider when I did come very close to throwing it in
    and going back to a landline service. At that early point in my
    experience of VOIP I was very disillusioned until I signed up with
    Voipfone and a few others .
    Now I wouldn't go back to BT or Telewest landline service for a gold
    clock .

    , Mar 30, 2006
  6. NickC wrote:

    > Everyone here seems to be using standard telephone type numbers instead of
    > proper SIP address, is there any reason why? To my mind this seems to
    > defeat part of the inherent advantage of using VoIP.
    >
    > Is anyone using a proper SIP address like:
    > 'SIP: '
    >
    > Nick

    As I run my own Registrar/proxy I do use a full URL here. I like it as its
    the same as my email address. (Which I'm not going to announce here :))

    As others have mentioned, full alpha-numeric URL's are either impossible to
    dial from the PSTN or very difficult using a POTS handset through an ATA.
    Hence, currently they are hard to use.

    However, if you are in a community that use good SIP terminals they are
    really cool!

    Andrew

    Andrew (G0RVM), Mar 30, 2006
  7. In article <>,
    "NickC" <> writes:
    > Everyone here seems to be using standard telephone type numbers instead of a
    > proper SIP address, is there any reason why? To my mind this seems to
    > defeat part of the inherent advantage of using VoIP.
    >
    > Is anyone using a proper SIP address like:
    > 'SIP: '

    Yes, I do, but I only give it out to family and friends, for the
    same reason I only give my email address to family and friends.
    I run my own SIP and STUN server, again for family and friends.

    --
    Andrew Gabriel

    Andrew Gabriel, Mar 30, 2006
  8. NickC

    NickC Guest

    Its obvious now you mention it, because I do everything through the computer
    that simple reason hadn't occured to me, duh..

    NickC, Mar 31, 2006
  9. NickC

    NickC Guest

    Excellent so some people are using SIP addresses. Question is how do I do
    it? I am using a good ISP who lets us create DNS entries for our domain
    name as required, question is what DNS record do I need to create to do
    this?

    I can create a CName type record for MyName.MyDomain.co.uk but not for
    .

    Nick

    NickC, Mar 31, 2006
  10. NickC

    Guest

    On Fri, 31 Mar 2006 10:08:31 +0100, "NickC"
    <> wrote:

    >Excellent so some people are using SIP addresses.

    Please yourself I shall continue to use an ordinary telephone.

    , Mar 31, 2006
  11. NickC wrote:
    > Everyone here seems to be using standard telephone type numbers instead of a
    > proper SIP address, is there any reason why? To my mind this seems to
    > defeat part of the inherent advantage of using VoIP.

    It does, but it's hard to dial.

    > Is anyone using a proper SIP address like:
    > 'SIP: '

    Yep... sip:p we do it for some of our customers too.

    peter

    Peter Gradwell, Mar 31, 2006
  12. NickC

    alexd Guest

    P.S. top posting is irritating.

    NickC wrote:

    > Excellent so some people are using SIP addresses. Question is how do I do
    > it? I am using a good ISP who lets us create DNS entries for our domain
    > name as required, question is what DNS record do I need to create to do
    > this?

    It Depends. In the simplest case, where mydomain.co.uk resolves to the host
    where you have your SIP ATA/server/phone/whatever listening then you have
    already done everything DNS-related that you need to. In less simple cases,
    have a read of this:

    http://mit.edu/sip/sip.edu/dns.shtml

    --
    <http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) ()
    19:04:59 up 1 day, 25 min, 3 users, load average: 0.20, 0.23, 0.26

    alexd, Mar 31, 2006
  13. NickC

    Tim Bray Guest

    NickC wrote:

    > Is anyone using a proper SIP address like:
    > 'SIP: '

    Yes, tim <at> provu.com

    It gets quite a few calls.

    On a Snom phone, you can put in a full SIP address by txting on the
    keyboard - not very practical, but does work.

    Tim

    Tim Bray, Mar 31, 2006
  14. NickC

    Tim Bray Guest

    NickC wrote:
    > Excellent so some people are using SIP addresses. Question is how do I do
    > it? I am using a good ISP who lets us create DNS entries for our domain
    > name as required, question is what DNS record do I need to create to do
    > this?

    Before you create the DNS records, you need a running SIP
    Proxy/Registrar to point the records at.

    Tim

    Tim Bray, Mar 31, 2006
  15. NickC

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Tim Bray" <> wrote in message
    > NickC wrote:
    > >
    > > Is anyone using a proper SIP address like:
    > > 'SIP: '

    > Yes, tim <at> provu.com
    >
    > It gets quite a few calls.
    >
    > On a Snom phone, you can put in a full SIP address by
    > txting on the keyboard - not very practical, but does
    > work.
    > Tim

    My AVM Fritz!Box Fon can do it with the speed dial function, it has a 100
    number memory so all my regular contacts are in there in that format.
    However it's not easy to dial without this facility though..!

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Apr 1, 2006
  16. NickC

    Sean Guest

    I often take calls on :)

    Sean, Apr 3, 2006
  17. NickC

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Sean" <> wrote in message
    > I often take calls on :)

    I have a feeling I may have spoken to you on there, but the brain cell is
    hazy at this time of the morning..! (I work shifts, ok..?!)

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Apr 4, 2006
  18. NickC

    NickC Guest

    "Sean" <> wrote in message
    >I often take calls on :)

    Yep, that is because fwd.pulver.com must point to a SIP server. Issue is
    how to change that to your own domain name say . I think
    this would require a SRV type DNS record and access to a publicly available
    SIP server. This is where the problem comes in, as far as I can see there
    is no one running a public SIP server service.

    Nick

    NickC, Apr 6, 2006
  19. NickC

    Paul Hayes Guest

    NickC wrote:
    > "Sean" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>I often take calls on :)

    > Yep, that is because fwd.pulver.com must point to a SIP server. Issue is
    > how to change that to your own domain name say . I think
    > this would require a SRV type DNS record and access to a publicly available
    > SIP server. This is where the problem comes in, as far as I can see there
    > is no one running a public SIP server service.
    >
    > Nick

    You'd need your own SIP server somewhere that would be hosting the
    domain "YourDomain.com" and then the SRV records would point to that.

    Some service providers will already be able to host the domain for you
    so you can have "whatever AT YourDomain.com". As Peter Gradwell has
    already said he's doing for some customers earlier in the thread.

    Everyone who is using VoIP already has a SIP URI of some description,
    lots just don't realise they have because they're just given plain-old
    telephone numbers. Service providers just map the phone number to the
    SIP address so you have an easy to dial way of being contacted. When
    ENUM takes off in the UK, you'll be able to dial the plain-old telephone
    numbers from a VoIP phone and the call will connect without touching the
    PSTN.

    Paul.

    Paul Hayes, Apr 6, 2006
  20. NickC

    johnakabean

    Joined:
    Jan 2, 2009
    Messages:
    1
    In case you didn't know...

    First of all, sip addresses are nice as they don't take up channels on your carrier which are limited by most "unlimited" service providers. If you get a package for Unlimited Calls to us and Canada, chances are you are going to be limited to 2 channels or 2 active calls.

    Second, I have DSL from verizon but NO landline. By law, all phone companies that offer high speed internet service must allow you to get ONLY the internet service; the internet is public domain! They will try to sell you the landline service and everything else they can on the way but you DON'T have to buy it. Just ask for a "dry loop" line for DSL and for cable companies, you can get just the internet as well. When getting a dry loop dsl line, you will still be assigned a phone number (with verizon at least) but no one can call it and you will get no dialtone if you try to plug a phone into your jacks.

    johnakabean, Jan 2, 2009