    Will future editions be supplied by web based forums only?
    I use Windows Mail for dogs ages and I really wanted to keep using it.

    Thanks in advance.

    TMA, May 29, 2009

  2. Yes, it is the official Microsoft Windows 7 Beta and RC forum.

    Dominic Payer, May 29, 2009

  3. Yup, that's what they tell us. Oh, and by the way, Windows Mail is history.
    It's not in Windows 7.

    Meanwhile, we'll all still be here, doing what we do. but only for 64-bit.
    ;)

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, May 29, 2009
  4. TMA

    TMA Guest

    Come on guys ... don't let it die. We all know web-based forums S.U.X.

    When I said "Windows Mail", I meant "Windows Live Mail" ;)

    TMA, May 30, 2009
  5. Windows Live Mail S.U.X, but I still like Windows Mail (as in Vista's
    version of OE.)

    _We_ won't let it die. We're here every day. And yes, I don't much like web
    based forums. Which is why I'm here, not there.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, May 30, 2009
  6. TMA

    Carlos Guest

    Charlie,
    As you already know, I use the web based version of this forum.
    Somehow I don't like the web Win 7 beta forum.
    Can't find my cool friends there, doesn't feel like home.
    Here it does.
    :)
    Carlos

    Carlos, May 30, 2009
  7. TMA

    John Barnes Guest

    Ahhh. Home sweet home. Nice to have you all here. Hard to believe that it
    was 4 years ago this month we all were looking for the first vendors to
    stock XP professional x64.

    John Barnes, May 30, 2009
  8. Yes, I know what you mean. This really is my "home" forum, and it's all of
    you that makes it so.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, May 30, 2009
  9. Has it really been? Remarkable.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, May 30, 2009
  10. TMA

    TMA Guest

    I don’t come here that often, nor I have the knowledge to answer most of the
    questions people post here, but it DOES feel like "home" for me too. This is
    an open forum to debate issues and ask/give information and, in my opinion,
    Windows Live Mail just make it easier to interact.

    TMA, May 30, 2009
  11. TMA

    John Barnes Guest

    I didn’t like Windows Live Mail when they first introduced it. Many times
    it wouldn’t even install on Vista, but since Windows 7 has no mail client, I
    have given it a chance. I personally see little difference among it and
    Outlook Express and Windows Mail, and it does make using the newsgroups
    easier while adding back the ability to access Hotmail that Mail didn’t
    have.

    John Barnes, May 30, 2009
  12. TMA

    R. C. White Guest

    Hi, John, Charlie, Carlos, TMA...

    WLM keeps getting better with each build - except that this pastel interface
    was an unfortunate regression that the WLM Team hints (I wish it were a
    promise) that they will fix in the next build. Of course, they haven't said
    how long it will be to the next build.

    Each new version requires a new learning curve, but WLM now seems like a new
    old friend. I haven't run OE in about three years and have used WLM almost
    exclusively since I joined the beta just about the time they dropped
    "desktop" from the name in May 2007, two years ago this month. I've been on
    this learning curve since the day I was born and I'm in no hurry for the
    only way to get off it. :^} So if they keep producing newer, better (I
    hop) versions, I'll just on keep learning them.

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    Microsoft Windows MVP

    R. C. White, May 30, 2009
  13. TMA

    TMA Guest

    John, Charlie, Carlos, RC ...

    I was first introduced to OE a long time ago, back in 1998/2000, if I'm not
    mistaken. I remember that, at that time, it was the way to go. I am a
    programmer for a federal courthouse and I thought that tool would help the
    workers quite a lot. I saw these kind of forums as a neat way to make them
    interact with the one another all over the country, making their decisions
    more solid and unified with the courts nationwide. But unfortunately, it did
    not happen and forums like this are used mostly by IT people. In fact, in
    the last 10 / 11 years, microsoft and borland (old codegear) were the only
    two forums I was subscribed to. Not even Oracle, famous to be the most
    robust database in the world, would release an OE compatible forum.

    In all this time, I followed the growth of web-based forums. I can
    understand why internet tendencies went to this direction: it is easier for
    the general public to access/browse the forums, its contents are
    "googleable", no extra software needed, it's cross-platform, etc. Now we
    have all sort of forums all over the place. For each single one of them, we
    have to sign up and give away our e-mail address (sometimes they even
    validate it), we can't "watch" a thread, some are visually disgusting, some
    have bugs, some brings annoying adds, some are slow, some will sell our
    addresses for spam, 90% of them have absolutely no support from experts,
    etc, etc, etc. That's sad.

    That said, and considering MS has been the main company to maintain WLM type
    of forums, and also considering Win7's official forum is web-based only, I
    fear WLM will die in a near future .... unfortunately. The same will happen
    to Outlook itself if you consider the growth of web-based e-mail systems
    too. Maybe the whole OS ... have you guys checked eyeOS.org ???

    TMA, May 30, 2009
  14. The pastel interface has got to go before I'll use it, RC. Just too hard to
    read...

    Charlie Russel - MVP, May 30, 2009