    is done?

    Thanks,

    Tim...

    Tim Harden, Oct 22, 2003

  2. Tim Harden

    Steve Wertz Guest

    On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 21:30:11 GMT, "Tim Harden"
    <> wrote:

    >I just swung over my web site to a new web hosting service, Time Warner.
    >And I've changed the name servers to reflect this yesterday afternoon
    >through GoDaddy.Com. Does anyone have an idea when the propagation change
    >is done?

    Usually 24-48 hours.

    -sw

    Steve Wertz, Oct 22, 2003

  3. On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 21:30:11 GMT, "Tim Harden" <>
    wrote:

    >I just swung over my web site to a new web hosting service, Time Warner.
    >And I've changed the name servers to reflect this yesterday afternoon
    >through GoDaddy.Com. Does anyone have an idea when the propagation change
    >is done?
    >
    >Thanks,
    >
    >Tim...

    Somewhere between 6 and 48 hours has been my experience. Usually around the
    middle of that range.

    BB

    BinaryBillTheSailor@Sea++.com, Oct 22, 2003
  4. Tim Harden

    Plato Guest

    Tim Harden wrote:

    > I just swung over my web site to a new web hosting service, Time Warner.
    > And I've changed the name servers to reflect this yesterday afternoon
    > through GoDaddy.Com. Does anyone have an idea when the propagation change
    > is done?

    Max 3 days and it should be finished.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Oct 23, 2003
  5. Tim Harden

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    "Tim Harden" <> wrote in news:DFClb.18762
    $:

    > Does anyone have an idea when the propagation change
    > is done?

    It isn't a set number. Most servers will expire a record between 6 hours
    and a week after they cache it. Very few servers will hold it for a week,
    but I have seen it. Most will expire it between 12 and 36 hours.

    --
    AIM: FrznFoodClerk (actually me)
    email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)

    DeMoN LaG, Oct 23, 2003
  6. In austin.internet Tim Harden <> wrote:
    > I just swung over my web site to a new web hosting service, Time Warner.
    > And I've changed the name servers to reflect this yesterday afternoon
    > through GoDaddy.Com. Does anyone have an idea when the propagation change
    > is done?

    There isn't a set time. It is dependant on your dns records' TTL's.
    If you have your TTL's set to 86400 seconds, it'll slowly uncache out of
    a properly configured name server 24 hours after it initially cached it.
    Until then, that name server will keep the old name until that time is up.
    If you planned the move ahead of time with your provider, they may have
    lowered your TTL in anticipation of the move (though some servers won't
    honor extremely low TTL's and cache for a min time anyways).
    And to make it even more confusing there are poorly configure name
    servers out there that cache beyond your set TTL's.

    So, the answer is, it takes as long as you had it set to possibly take.

    If you actually moved name servers as well, you probably need to contact
    whoever was hosting your old name service to make sure their servers are no
    longer answering authoritatively for your domain (or anyone who happens
    to be using that name server for lookups will never get the new information).

    I just glanced from a roadrunner connection and from IO and they are handing
    out different IP's for texaschainsawmassacre.net so it looks like the TTL's
    were not turned down. A dig on a server holding the old info show's the names
    cached out with 81709 seconds to go (ie, about 1-2am Friday morning it'll expire).

    Also interesting, you have the following three name servers that come up for your
    domain:
    NS1.BIZ.RR.COM
    NS2.BIZ.RR.COM
    DNS4.RR.COM

    The dns4 system does not give an answer for 'texaschainsawmassacre.net' on first
    request. It gives a non-authoritative answer for
    'www.texaschainsawmassacre.net' pointing to 66.55.33.114. On the second query
    of texaschainsawmassacre.net it gave the 198.66.195.9
    IP (which I think is the right one?).

    ns2.biz had this to say:
    > www.texaschainsawmassacre.net

    Server: ns2.biz.rr.com
    Address: 24.30.201.19#53

    Non-authoritative answer:
    Name: www.texaschainsawmassacre.net
    Address: 198.66.195.9
    > texaschainsawmassacre.net

    Server: ns2.biz.rr.com
    Address: 24.30.201.19#53

    Non-authoritative answer:
    *** Can't find texaschainsawmassacre.net: No answer

    An ns1.biz.rr.com said this:
    > server ns1.biz.rr.com

    Default server: ns1.biz.rr.com
    Address: 24.30.200.19#53
    > texaschainsawmassacre.net

    Server: ns1.biz.rr.com
    Address: 24.30.200.19#53

    Non-authoritative answer:
    *** Can't find texaschainsawmassacre.net: No answer
    > www.texaschainsawmassacre.net

    Server: ns1.biz.rr.com
    Address: 24.30.200.19#53

    Non-authoritative answer:
    Name: www.texaschainsawmassacre.net
    Address: 66.55.33.114

    That doesn't look good to me. Your primary, secondary, and tertiary
    name servers aren't answering authoritatively, they also aren't
    giving out the same address and even though they seem to give out
    some address from www.domain, they don't seem to necessarily have an
    A record for just the domain name.

    I don't know what tricks roadrunner does for their business dns
    services, but it was my understanding that if your dns was setup
    on those servers, they should be answering authoritatively, every
    time, regardless of whether or not everyone else's TTL's have expired. . .

    -Aaron

    Aaron J. Millis, Oct 23, 2003