    why are they?
    --
    PeteCresswell
    (PeteCresswell), Feb 3, 2007

  2. (PeteCresswell) wrote:
    > On some DVDs there's this little cardboard strip with four tabs to it saying
    > "Proof Of Purchase nnnnnX... where nnnnn is a five-digit number and X is a
    > letter.
    >
    > Seems pretty obvious that they aren't proof of squat...

    They're proof that you had the inside of a specific title's box open in
    your hands, which doesn't *necesarily* prove you purchased it, but makes
    it highly, highly likely.
    (Although they may still ask you for the sales slip as well.)

    > And why are they?

    One never knows (do one?):

    Just recently I had to cut the tabs off the old Disney "Narnia" edition
    to qualify for the Upgrade rebate on the new SE--Which likely hadn't
    even been envisioned when those first tabs were printed, but ultimately
    came in handy nevertheless.

    Derek Janssen
    Derek Janssen, Feb 3, 2007

  3. Per Derek Janssen:
    >(Although they may still ask you for the sales slip as well.)

    "They"?

    I'm having trouble visualizing beyond my own little world where I buy the thing,
    open it up, play it, and then put it in my DVD rack until I want to play it
    again.

    Where do the third parties come in?

    And does anybody have a reason why there are four tabs - each with the same
    number, but qualified by an incremental letter?
    --
    PeteCresswell
    (PeteCresswell), Feb 3, 2007
  4. On Fri, 02 Feb 2007 21:00:18 -0500, "(PeteCresswell)" <>
    wrote:

    >On some DVDs there's this little cardboard strip with four tabs to it saying
    >"Proof Of Purchase nnnnnX... where nnnnn is a five-digit number and X is a
    >letter.
    >
    >Seems pretty obvious that they aren't proof of squat... but what are they? And
    >why are they?

    A few years ago Warner and MGM (Before SONY Bought MGM) had a
    promotion I think it was buy five and get one free. Most of the
    Cardboard DVD Cases had these tabs. They just keep the Proof so they
    did not have to redesign the case. Besides they may run a future
    promotion.
    Fred C. Dobbs, Feb 3, 2007
  5. (PeteCresswell)

    Richard C. Guest

    "(PeteCresswell)" <> wrote in message
    > On some DVDs there's this little cardboard strip with four tabs to it
    > saying
    > "Proof Of Purchase nnnnnX... where nnnnn is a five-digit number and X is a
    > letter.
    >
    > Seems pretty obvious that they aren't proof of squat... but what are they?
    > And
    > why are they?
    > --
    > PeteCresswell

    =========================
    They are exactly what they say they are: "proof of purchase".
    They are used for things that require "proof of purchase".
    That includes rebates, specail offers, etc.

    I use them all the time.
    Richard C., Feb 3, 2007
  6. (PeteCresswell)

    > Per Derek Janssen:
    >>(Although they may still ask you for the sales slip as well.)

    > "They"?
    >
    > I'm having trouble visualizing beyond my own little world where I buy the
    > thing,
    > open it up, play it, and then put it in my DVD rack until I want to play
    > it
    > again.
    >
    > Where do the third parties come in?
    >
    > And does anybody have a reason why there are four tabs - each with the
    > same
    > number, but qualified by an incremental letter?
    > --
    > PeteCresswell

    ======================
    For multiple special offers, rebates, etc.

    They have been used since day one on DVDs and
    I have received hundreds and hundreds of dollars in rebates
    and special offers. Have you ever even looked at the papers
    that come inside many DVDs?
    Richard C., Feb 3, 2007
  7. (PeteCresswell)

    Richard C. Guest

    "Fred C. Dobbs" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 02 Feb 2007 21:00:18 -0500, "(PeteCresswell)" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>On some DVDs there's this little cardboard strip with four tabs to it
    >>saying
    >>"Proof Of Purchase nnnnnX... where nnnnn is a five-digit number and X is a
    >>letter.
    >>
    >>Seems pretty obvious that they aren't proof of squat... but what are they?
    >>And
    >>why are they?

    > A few years ago Warner and MGM (Before SONY Bought MGM) had a
    > promotion I think it was buy five and get one free. Most of the
    > Cardboard DVD Cases had these tabs. They just keep the Proof so they
    > did not have to redesign the case. Besides they may run a future
    > promotion.

    =========================
    They are running them all the time.
    Most recent was $10.00 back on Narnia.
    =======================
    Richard C., Feb 3, 2007
  8. (PeteCresswell) wrote:

    >>(Although they may still ask you for the sales slip as well.)

    > "They"?

    The company (usually the disk studio, or corporate-tie-in rebate
    product) that ASKS you to send in your boxtops for the $5 back by mail.

    > Where do the third parties come in?

    Usually inside the box, with those little ad-inserts.

    > And does anybody have a reason why there are four tabs - each with the same
    > number, but qualified by an incremental letter?

    In case you lose one, butterfingers.

    Derek Janssen
    Derek Janssen, Feb 3, 2007
  9. (PeteCresswell)

    Sean O'Hara Guest

    In the Year of the Dog, the Great and Powerful (PeteCresswell) declared:
    > Per Derek Janssen:
    >
    >> (Although they may still ask you for the sales slip as well.)

    > "They"?
    >
    > I'm having trouble visualizing beyond my own little world where I
    > buy the thing, open it up, play it, and then put it in my DVD
    > rack until I want to play it again.
    >
    > Where do the third parties come in?

    Back in December FYE had the Oliver Stone Collection (the one
    containing all his feature films up through Any Given Sunday) for
    $35, with a mail-in rebate for $15. They required you to send in the
    receipt, the rebate form, and ... a proof of purchase.

    Back in November I picked up the Astaire & Rogers and Forbidden
    Planet Ultimate editions, which included offers for free posters
    [1]. Warners requires you send in the receipt, an order form and ...
    a proof of purchase.

    If you hang out in the DVD Talk bargain forum, you'll come across
    all sorts of special offers that require a proof of purchase.

    [1] Well, free + S&H.

    --
    Sean O'Hara | http://diogenes-sinope.blogspot.com
    The grass is always greener on the other side, unless Chuck Norris
    Sean O'Hara, Feb 3, 2007
  10. (PeteCresswell)

    Impmon Guest

    On Fri, 02 Feb 2007 22:55:47 -0500, Derek Janssen <>
    wrote:

    >They're proof that you had the inside of a specific title's box open in
    >your hands, which doesn't *necesarily* prove you purchased it, but makes
    >it highly, highly likely.
    >(Although they may still ask you for the sales slip as well.)

    Unless it's a mail in offer that came included with the said DVD (ie
    buy 3, get 1 free), reciept is rarely asked for as proof. Not
    everyone keeps their reciept for long and they'd be hard pressed to
    find a 6 months old reciept for a DVD.
    Impmon, Feb 4, 2007