    claude nine Guest

    Not too sure if this is the right polce for this, but how does one
    pronounce linux? Lie in lie, or lin as in linen?
    claude nine, Jan 30, 2004

  2. claude nine

    °Mike° Guest

    °Mike°, Jan 30, 2004

  3. claude nine

    Harrison Guest

    Lin as in linen is the generally accepted pronunciation here in the
    US.

    Harrison, Jan 30, 2004
  4. "claude nine" <> wrote in message

    > Not too sure if this is the right polce for this, but how does one
    > pronounce linux? Lie in lie, or lin as in linen?

    Like linen...but more like linnix.

    --Tina

    --
    http://www.AffordableHOST.com
    20% Discount Code: newsgroup
    Tina - AffordableHOST.com, Jan 30, 2004
  5. claude nine

    Harrison Guest

    You can't beat that answer!

    Harrison, Jan 30, 2004
  6. claude nine

    nemo Guest

    Contrived names of products normally use long vowels, i.e. "Lie" I know a
    few computer buffs and they all insist it's as in "linen."

    nemo, Jan 30, 2004
  7. claude nine

    nemo Guest

    Butt don't forget they pronounce Colin as Coelin and Horse as Howywrs! - and
    their horrible little child actors always squeak, "I wanna come teee-youw!"

    And even And has become Eyyend!!!

    And Koesovo?? And yet they don't call socks, soaks??

    And then there's Nucular! So widespread the Pres - the guy with his finger
    on the button - pronounces it that way and the pissmronunciation was
    features in the daftest film of the century: Meet the Applegates!

    So you got a Pres who can't pronounce Nuclear and a Sec of State who can't
    even pronounce his own name!!! And all this in the greatest country in the
    world??????

    ROFLMFAO!!

    nemo, Jan 30, 2004
  8. claude nine

    L Beck Guest

    You'll get as much discussion on this as you would asking how to pronounce
    "data".

    L Beck, Jan 30, 2004
  9. claude nine

    Harrison Guest

    Mike's link was to a wave file of the man for which the OS is named,
    Linus Torvalds, pronouncing the word using the short i sound. I'd say
    that pretty much closes the book on how it's pronounced.

    Harrison, Jan 30, 2004
  10. claude nine

    Harrison Guest

    On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 14:18:34 GMT, "nemo" <>
    wrote:

    <drivel snip>
    "pissmronunciation was features in the"

    How are things going with that glass house of yours?
    Harrison, Jan 30, 2004
  11. claude nine

    °Mike° Guest

    What's your point?

    On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 14:08:37 GMT, in
    <FztSb.23583$>
    nemo scrawled:

    °Mike°, Jan 30, 2004
  12. claude nine wrote:

    > Not too sure if this is the right polce for this, but how does one
    > pronounce linux? Lie in lie, or lin as in linen?

    --as in "Linen", IIRC because that's how Mr. Torvalis pronounces his
    first name.

    BuffNET Technical Support Supervisor
    (BEHOLD! The power of the BOFH!)
    BuffNET Tech Support - MichaelJ, Jan 30, 2004
  13. claude nine

    claude nine Guest

    <> wrote:

    >Not too sure if this is the right polce for this, but how does one
    >pronounce linux? Lie in lie, or lin as in linen?

    Thanks to all for those good answers - and Mike - thanks for the audio
    claude nine, Jan 30, 2004
  14. claude nine

    Dan Glybitz Guest

    <Harrison> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 14:18:34 GMT, "nemo" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > <drivel snip>
    > "pissmronunciation was features in the"
    >
    > How are things going with that glass house of yours?

    Obviously not a "Two Ronnies" fan then, eh?

    DG.

    --
    "Society for the pissmronuncation of worms."
    Dan Glybitz, Jan 31, 2004
  15. claude nine

    °Mike° Guest

    On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 19:35:00 GMT, in
    <>
    claude nine scrawled:

    >On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 01:18:11 GMT, claude nine
    ><> wrote:
    >

    >>Not too sure if this is the right polce for this, but how does one
    >>pronounce linux? Lie in lie, or lin as in linen?

    >Thanks to all for those good answers - and Mike - thanks for the audio

    You're welcome.

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Jan 31, 2004