    "zygiella" - perhaps someone has a good encyclopedia or something at
    hand that would have this?

    Thanks for any help!

    edgy, Mar 7, 2007

  2. edgy

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2007-03-07, edgy <> wrote:
    > Does anyone have a solid reference on this? - I've googled to no avail!
    > I'm looking for the pronunciation and intonation of the word
    > "zygiella" - perhaps someone has a good encyclopedia or something at
    > hand that would have this?
    >
    > Thanks for any help!

    That's a very good question.

    Whoever invented that word probably didn't even think about how to say it.

    Latin always pronounces g 'hard' - as in English 'good' - but Latin has no
    letter y so this is obviously a hybrid name. (I've noticed that
    'scientific Latin' does use y rather often).

    Using English as a guide, the y should be a long vowel, such as the one in
    'fly' (rhymes with eye). The normal Latin spelling for that sound would
    be ae.

    The g followed by the i could work together to make 'jee' (rhymes with
    flee) in English, but Latin would go for 'gee' (sounds like ghee but
    without the h); which would also 'not be wrong' in English.

    The 'ell' part is going to rhyme with 'hell' in either language (with only
    one l being pronounced). Welsh or Spanish speakers may have other ideas
    about that.

    The final a would be like the a in car.

    So we have either "zae gee ella" or "zae jee ella" depending on how Latin
    you want it to sound. The stress would be on the ell in Latin, and
    probably in English too.

    "Eeeek!! SPIDER!!" might be what some people actually say.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, Mar 7, 2007

  3. edgy

    x@y Guest

    http://tinyurl.com/ywf84s

    x@y, Mar 7, 2007
  4. edgy

    Aardvark Guest

    On Wed, 07 Mar 2007 13:28:41 +0000, Whiskers wrote:

    > Latin always pronounces g 'hard' - as in English 'good' - but Latin has no
    > letter y so this is obviously a hybrid name. (I've noticed that
    > 'scientific Latin' does use y rather often).

    The word probably has Greek etymology. The 'zy' being the English version
    of 'zeta-upsilon'. For some reason when this combination of Greek letters
    is transliterated into English the 'upsilon' (which for all intents and
    purposes is the equivalent of the letter 'u') becomes 'y' although the
    letter becomes shortened when pronouncing it.

    For this reason I suspect that this section of the word would more than
    likely be pronounced 'zu' with the 'u' being very short almost to the
    point of being a mute vowel.

    Thus I would pronounce the word 'zi-j-yella'.

    --
    Registered Linux User 413057.
    Both Mandriva 2007 and Ubuntu 6.06

    Aardvark, Mar 7, 2007
  5. edgy

    Shoo Guest

    edgy wrote:
    > Does anyone have a solid reference on this? - I've googled to no
    > avail! I'm looking for the pronunciation and intonation of the word
    > "zygiella" - perhaps someone has a good encyclopedia or something at
    > hand that would have this?
    >
    > Thanks for any help!

    Like "Ziggy played guitar, jamming good with Weird and Gilly And The Spiders
    From Mars"

    Shoo, Mar 7, 2007
  6. edgy

    Aardvark Guest

    On Wed, 07 Mar 2007 14:23:20 +0000, Aardvark wrote:

    > On Wed, 07 Mar 2007 13:28:41 +0000, Whiskers wrote:
    >

    >> Latin always pronounces g 'hard' - as in English 'good' - but Latin has no
    >> letter y so this is obviously a hybrid name. (I've noticed that
    >> 'scientific Latin' does use y rather often).
    >>

    > The word probably has Greek etymology. The 'zy' being the English version
    > of 'zeta-upsilon'. For some reason when this combination of Greek letters
    > is transliterated into English the 'upsilon' (which for all intents and
    > purposes is the equivalent of the letter 'u') becomes 'y' although the
    > letter becomes shortened when pronouncing it.
    >
    > For this reason I suspect that this section of the word would more than
    > likely be pronounced 'zu' with the 'u' being very short almost to the
    > point of being a mute vowel.
    >
    > Thus I would pronounce the word 'zi-j-yella'.

    Forgot to mention. When the Greek letter 'gamma' (g) is transliterated
    into English, what was a hard letter (as in 'go) becomes a soft letter (as
    in 'jam').

    Think of other Greek-based words like 'genesis' (in Greek with the hard
    'g') or 'syzygy' (in which the first two letters 'y' are pronounced like
    the letter 'i' as in 'it'- 'sizijee').

    This is why I made the assumption that the 'g' in zygiella is soft.

    Aardvark, Mar 7, 2007
  7. edgy

    dadiOH Guest

    edgy wrote:
    > Does anyone have a solid reference on this? - I've googled to no
    > avail! I'm looking for the pronunciation and intonation of the
    > word "zygiella" - perhaps someone has a good encyclopedia or
    > something at hand that would have this?
    >
    > Thanks for any help!

    Just say...

    zee-gee-EL-la