    How do I promote a member WinNT 4 (with SP6a) to a backup domain controller.
    The domain controller is running on Win2003. The functional level of the
    domain is a Win2000 mixed mode?
    Guan Foo Wah, Apr 13, 2004

  2. Guan Foo Wah

    Neil Guest

    "Guan Foo Wah" <> wrote in
    news:u#:

    > Hi,
    >
    > How do I promote a member WinNT 4 (with SP6a) to a backup domain
    > controller. The domain controller is running on Win2003. The
    > functional level of the domain is a Win2000 mixed mode?

    reinstall NT and choose Backup Domain Controller from the server roles
    screen...there is no way to promote the box to BDC, you must reinstall.
    Make sure you backup the data first...

    --
    Neil
    Neil, Apr 13, 2004

  3. Guan Foo Wah

    Guan Foo Wah Guest

    The WinNT CD that I used has SP1 integrated.... When I reinstall it as a
    backup domain controller, it gives the error couln't find the domain. I
    tried to reinstall it again but this time as a member server. When asked to
    join the domain during the installation, couln't find the domain again.

    Ends up I join to a workgroup. After finished installation, I installed
    SP6a. Then join the domain as member server and it works. So do I need a
    WinNT with SP6a integrated to promote sucessfully to a BDC?

    One more question. Can a non-pdc Windows 2000 domain controller authenticate
    pre-win2000 client logon? I read a book and somehow it is giving me the
    impression that only Win2k PDC authenticates pre-win2000 client login but
    not the rest of the Win2k domain controller. When when I tested, my testing
    shows this is wrong. I purposely shutdown the Win2k PDC with one non-pdc
    Win2k DC still running. I still can logon on my Win95 client.

    Guan Foo Wah, Apr 13, 2004
  4. Guan Foo Wah

    Neil Guest

    "Guan Foo Wah" <> wrote in

    > The WinNT CD that I used has SP1 integrated.... When I reinstall it as
    > a backup domain controller, it gives the error couln't find the
    > domain. I tried to reinstall it again but this time as a member
    > server. When asked to join the domain during the installation, couln't
    > find the domain again.
    >
    > Ends up I join to a workgroup. After finished installation, I
    > installed SP6a. Then join the domain as member server and it works. So
    > do I need a WinNT with SP6a integrated to promote sucessfully to a
    > BDC?

    Likely the issue is that the NIC requires a high SP (likely 3 or 4) and
    so can't contact the domain. try getting your hands on an old NIC and
    doing the install, SP to 6a and then add the other card.

    If you can find a NT distrib. w/6a on it that's great too.

    > One more question. Can a non-pdc Windows 2000 domain controller
    > authenticate pre-win2000 client logon? I read a book and somehow it is
    > giving me the impression that only Win2k PDC authenticates pre-win2000
    > client login but not the rest of the Win2k domain controller. When
    > when I tested, my testing shows this is wrong. I purposely shutdown
    > the Win2k PDC with one non-pdc Win2k DC still running. I still can
    > logon on my Win95 client.

    yup, it can still authenitcate older clients. but you should get the AD
    client for 95.

    http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/downloads/tools/default.asp

    --
    Neil
    Neil, Apr 13, 2004
  5. On Tue, 13 Apr 2004 09:42:31 -0700, Neil <>
    wrote:

    >"Guan Foo Wah" <> wrote in
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> How do I promote a member WinNT 4 (with SP6a) to a backup domain
    >> controller. The domain controller is running on Win2003. The
    >> functional level of the domain is a Win2000 mixed mode?
    >>

    >reinstall NT and choose Backup Domain Controller from the server roles
    >screen...there is no way to promote the box to BDC, you must reinstall.
    >Make sure you backup the data first...

    You can buy a product from Aelita that does an NT4 BDC Demote to
    member server, I wonder if they do a promote tool as well ???
    ================================
    My Hero:
    (remove vroomfondle to email me)
    ================================
    Marlin Munrow, Apr 13, 2004
  6. On Tue, 13 Apr 2004 10:29:55 -0700, Neil <>
    wrote:

    >"Guan Foo Wah" <> wrote in
    >
    >> The WinNT CD that I used has SP1 integrated.... When I reinstall it as
    >> a backup domain controller, it gives the error couln't find the
    >> domain. I tried to reinstall it again but this time as a member
    >> server. When asked to join the domain during the installation, couln't
    >> find the domain again.
    >>
    >> Ends up I join to a workgroup. After finished installation, I
    >> installed SP6a. Then join the domain as member server and it works. So
    >> do I need a WinNT with SP6a integrated to promote sucessfully to a
    >> BDC?
    >>

    >Likely the issue is that the NIC requires a high SP (likely 3 or 4) and
    >so can't contact the domain. try getting your hands on an old NIC and
    >doing the install, SP to 6a and then add the other card.
    >
    >If you can find a NT distrib. w/6a on it that's great too.
    >
    >> One more question. Can a non-pdc Windows 2000 domain controller
    >> authenticate pre-win2000 client logon? I read a book and somehow it is
    >> giving me the impression that only Win2k PDC authenticates pre-win2000
    >> client login but not the rest of the Win2k domain controller. When
    >> when I tested, my testing shows this is wrong. I purposely shutdown
    >> the Win2k PDC with one non-pdc Win2k DC still running. I still can
    >> logon on my Win95 client.
    >>

    >yup, it can still authenitcate older clients. but you should get the AD
    >client for 95.
    >
    >http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/downloads/tools/default.asp

    Do a search on google on how to add another BDC to a 2000 mixed mode
    domain, it isnt easy but it *can* be done

    Marlin Munrow, Apr 13, 2004