Promise IDE driver

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by cvandevere, May 27, 2005.

  1. cvandevere

    cvandevere Guest

    I have looked at the regular sources for drivers (planetamd64.......) but
    have not found a Promise driver for running a IDE hardrive. I can find the
    Promise RAID driver but not hte IDE one. I have access to everything under
    win xp pro but can not see the IDE drive on the promise controller win x64.
    Has anyone found one yet that works with win xp x64? My system is as
    follows:

    Asus K8V Deluxe Motherboard
    AMD Athlon 64 3200 processor
    1 gig of ram
    (2) WD SATA 120 gig RAID 0 on VIA controller (Windows XP Pro)
    (1) WD 160 gig on IDE (Windows XP Pro x64)
    (1) WD 40 gig on IDE Promise controller
    (1) Plextor 716A cd/dvd burner
    (1) Plextor 708A cd/dvd burner
    SB Audigy 2
    PNY Quadra FX 500

    Thanks in-advance for any assistance.

    Craig

    cvandevere, May 27, 2005

  2. cvandevere

    Dennis Pack Guest

    The IDE hard drive has to be installed on the IDE plug not the Promise Raid
    plug.

    Dennis Pack, May 27, 2005

  3. cvandevere

    cvandevere Guest

    There is a driver on the ASUS CD that allows the promise controller to run a
    IDE drive in addition to the Promise RAID driver. It is well documented in
    the User Guide. It has been working with no problems under Windows XP Pro
    for several years. Now I am looking for the 64 bit driver that will allow it
    to work under Windows XP Pro x64.

    cvandevere, May 27, 2005
  4. cvandevere

    NoNoBadDog! Guest

    I guess it was too much of a bother to check the ASUS website...it was there
    all along.
    Next time, please check the obvious sources prior to seeking assistance.
    Here is the link...

    http://www.asus.com.tw/pub/ASUS/misc/ide/pdc20378/Promise_64bit_100139.zip

    Bobby

    NoNoBadDog!, May 27, 2005
  5. cvandevere

    Dennis Pack Guest

    I have the Asus SK8N board. It has 2xUltraDMA133 supports 4 hard drives. The
    Promise controller is only for 2 IDE hard drives and 2 SATA hard drives for
    Raid configurations. You may be able to configure the Promise Raid slot
    recognize only one hard drive during Raid setup.

    Dennis Pack, May 27, 2005
  6. cvandevere

    formerprof Guest

    The driver he is discussing is the 64-bit Promise non-RAID driver. It
    doesn't exist yet; the driver you saw is the RAID driver, 1.0.1.39. There is
    a 32-bit Promise non-RAID driver on the ASUS web site listed for a number of
    their boards.

    Perhaps he did "check the obvious sources."

    The scuttlebutt is that Promise or ASUS will have such a driver late in
    June.

    formerprof

    formerprof, May 27, 2005
  7. cvandevere

    NoNoBadDog! Guest

    No, the driver is for the 64 bit OS, and I am using it right now. I have
    two HDDs on my Primary IDE, and two HDD on the Promise PATA connector. This
    is the driver required to access the PATA IDE drives attached to the Promise
    IDE (PATA) controller.

    Bobby

    NoNoBadDog!, May 27, 2005
  8. The promised Promise driver isn't available yet. OTOH, I can count, and you
    could easily move the WD 40Gb to be on regular IDE. Might mean moving things
    around a bit, but there's room.

    --
    Charlie.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, May 27, 2005
  9. cvandevere

    NoNoBadDog! Guest

    Can you then please explain to me how I am able to access the two drives on
    the Promise 378 PATA IDE controller on my ASUS motherboard under Windows XP
    Professional x64 Edition? The driver link that I provided is the *64 bit*
    Promise driver. Until this driver is installed, Windows XP Pro x64 Ed.
    cannot even see the controller, much less the drives. As I stated, I have 2
    HDD on primary IDE, 2x optical on the secondary IDE, and 2 HDD on the
    Promise 378 PATA IDE controller. This driver is the 64 bit driver. It
    works only under x64. I did not write/compile the driver. I downloaded it
    from the ASUS link I provided. Yet you say it does not exist. How can that
    be? It is on their webpage, it exists on my system...it works....????

    Why are you insisting it does not exist?

    Bobby

    NoNoBadDog!, May 27, 2005
  10. Well, I could be wrong, certainly, but I was under the impression that the
    Promise controller driver that is available was only the RAID driver, not the
    non-RAID, IDE one.I know on my Promise, it won't work as a standalone IDE
    controller when there's only a single drive attached, though when there are
    two, you can then go configure it to treat them each as an array. Go figure.
    But mine's a different model, and I ended up disabling the Promise entirely.

    --
    Charlie.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, May 27, 2005
  11. cvandevere

    NoNoBadDog! Guest

    I have used it with one and with two drives attached. The driver has been
    available since RC1. It worked with RC2, even though its not decorated. It
    works with every ASUS motherboard I have built...

    It does work as a standalone...no need to define an array. The drives
    appear as normal IDE disks in Device manager and Disk Management console.
    the PATA IDE channel is simply treated as another IDE BUS...allowing the use
    of six IDE devices. I could add another two SATA drives to this box if I
    choose to, simply adding the Via and Promise drivers for the RAID
    array...that would give a total of 8 drives supported natively on the
    motherboard.

    Bobby

    NoNoBadDog!, May 27, 2005
  12. NoNoBadDog! <mypants_bjsledgeATpixi.com> wrote:
    > I have used it with one and with two drives attached. The driver has
    > been available since RC1. It worked with RC2, even though its not
    > decorated. It works with every ASUS motherboard I have built...
    >
    > It does work as a standalone...no need to define an array. The drives
    > appear as normal IDE disks in Device manager and Disk Management
    > console. the PATA IDE channel is simply treated as another IDE
    > BUS...allowing the use of six IDE devices. I could add another two
    > SATA drives to this box if I choose to, simply adding the Via and
    > Promise drivers for the RAID array...that would give a total of 8
    > drives supported natively on the motherboard.
    >
    > Bobby

    Hi Bobby,

    Quite interesting...
    What you telling me is that I can add a sata stand alone on the raid (red
    connectors) Promise connectors and to have 2 IDE, 2 SATA and 2 SATA via raid
    connectors together ???

    If I get you right, it's opening new opportunities for me ;)

    Thanks

    --
    Christian Hougardy (MS XP MVP)
    Johannesburg - South Africa

    Christian Hougardy, May 27, 2005
  13. cvandevere

    formerprof Guest

    > Can you then please explain to me how I am able to access the two drives
    > on the Promise 378 PATA IDE controller on my ASUS motherboard under
    > Windows XP Professional x64 Edition? <

    Because you've probably defined them as a RAID array -- or, if you are
    accessing them separately (e.g., D: and E:) as two RAID stripe arrays of one
    disk each. The problem with defining individual drives that way is that the
    data becomes inaccessible if the disk is attached to a standard controller.

    formerprof

    formerprof, May 27, 2005
  14. cvandevere

    formerprof Guest

    Bobby,

    Is your Promise controller set to RAIED or IDE in the BIOS?

    formerprof

    formerprof, May 27, 2005