    works well. Could the controller card be bad? Last time I installed one,
    I had not problems at all.

    (This message was posted to another newsgroup, but no one responded.)

    mcp6453, Dec 6, 2003

  2. mcp6453

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    mcp6453 <> wrote in news::

    > I put it back with the hard drive on IDE1 on the motherboard, and all
    > works well. Could the controller card be bad? Last time I installed one,
    > I had not problems at all.

    You can't install the controller, and then move the boot drive to the
    controller. Windows can't cope with that. You would have to install
    Windows again and press F6 when it prompts you during setup and provide it
    the drivers then.

    DeMoN LaG, Dec 6, 2003

  3. mcp6453

    mcp6453 Guest

    DeMoN LaG wrote:

    > mcp6453 <> wrote in news::
    >
    > > I put it back with the hard drive on IDE1 on the motherboard, and all
    > > works well. Could the controller card be bad? Last time I installed one,
    > > I had not problems at all.

    > You can't install the controller, and then move the boot drive to the
    > controller. Windows can't cope with that. You would have to install
    > Windows again and press F6 when it prompts you during setup and provide it
    > the drivers then.

    That's not what the instructions say. Moreover, I did just this on
    another machine. Maybe I'll swap controllers to see if the new one is
    bad.

    When the drive is recognized in Windows prior to a drive being attached,
    the proper drivers are loaded on the drive to make it bootable with the
    new controller.

    mcp6453, Dec 6, 2003
  4. mcp6453

    Plato Guest

    mcp6453 wrote:

    > I just bought a Maxtor Ultra ATA/133 PCI adapter card (made by Promise)
    > to upgrade a Pentium III machine. After installing the card, Windows

    Just from memory I recall many folks having to go to promise to download
    the latest drivers for it to work. The inlcuded drivers that ms supplies
    seem to be outdated.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Dec 6, 2003
  5. mcp6453

    mcp6453 Guest

    Plato wrote:

    > Just from memory I recall many folks having to go to promise to download
    > the latest drivers for it to work. The inlcuded drivers that ms supplies
    > seem to be outdated.

    I'll double check for latest drivers. When I swapped this card with an
    identical card in a working system, everything worked fine. The other
    system, however, is Windows 98.

    mcp6453, Dec 6, 2003