    which prevent damage to the battry during prolonged charging?
    Thank you in advance for your advice!
    Joan

    Joan Bakker, Apr 1, 2004

  2. Joan Bakker

    Dan Shea Guest

    On Thu, 1 Apr 2004 07:53:16 +0200, "Joan Bakker"
    <> wrote:

    >Hi, I am a very frequent user of my laptop. I do'nt have such a big desktop
    >machine. The question regards my Li-ion battery. I can run for 1,5 h before
    >empty and at that time the machine must be connected to the charger. In this
    >way every day the battery is unloaded once. Should it not be better to
    >connect the machine continuously to the charger and only to charge when the
    >laptop was used for longer time elsewhere? Are there electronic circuits
    >which prevent damage to the battry during prolonged charging?
    >Thank you in advance for your advice!

    Yes, there are. You can't overcharge your laptop battery. Feel free
    to keep your laptop plugged in as much as you like. Also, Li-Ion
    batteries don't have the "memory" that older laptop batteries do, so
    you don't need to discharge it completely before charging it up.

    Cheers,
    dan

    Dan Shea, Apr 1, 2004

  3. Joan Bakker

    Unk Guest

    <> wrote:

    >Hi, I am a very frequent user of my laptop. I do'nt have such a big desktop
    >machine. The question regards my Li-ion battery. I can run for 1,5 h before
    >empty and at that time the machine must be connected to the charger. In this
    >way every day the battery is unloaded once. Should it not be better to
    >connect the machine continuously to the charger and only to charge when the
    >laptop was used for longer time elsewhere? Are there electronic circuits
    >which prevent damage to the battry during prolonged charging?
    >Thank you in advance for your advice!
    >Joan

    I would leave the charger connected all the time, and not discharge the
    battery on a daily basis. Li-ion batteries only have a life of around 500
    charge/discharge cycles. A continuous trickle-charge won't damage it.
    http://www.emergingpower.com/oem/oem_liion.htm

    Unk, Apr 1, 2004
  4. Joan Bakker

    Joan Guest

    Thank you for your quick reply!
    Joan.

    Joan, Apr 1, 2004
  5. Joan Bakker

    Dan Shea Guest

    On Thu, 1 Apr 2004 08:09:58 +0200, "Joan"
    <> wrote:

    >Thank you for your quick reply!

    You're welcome. I second Unk's remarks, as well.

    Cheers,
    dan

    Dan Shea, Apr 1, 2004
  6. On Thu, 1 Apr 2004 07:53:16 +0200, "Joan Bakker"
    <>,wrote:

    >Hi, I am a very frequent user of my laptop. I do'nt have such a big desktop
    >machine. The question regards my Li-ion battery. I can run for 1,5 h before
    >empty and at that time the machine must be connected to the charger. In this
    >way every day the battery is unloaded once. Should it not be better to
    >connect the machine continuously to the charger and only to charge when the
    >laptop was used for longer time elsewhere? Are there electronic circuits
    >which prevent damage to the battry during prolonged charging?
    >Thank you in advance for your advice!
    >Joan

    It doesn't hurt the fucking battery you idiot.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?=22=B0Mike=B0=22?=, Apr 1, 2004
  7. Joan Bakker

    NoMoHoe Guest

    I am not so sure about continuous charging and battery life. I have 2
    laptop batteries on my shelf from 2 people who leave the laptop plugged in
    24/7. Upon dissection, both battery packs have the same type of failure:
    one cell that is totally dead, high resistance or open totally. The rest of
    the cells in the pack seem fine. One is a Dell Battery module p/n 1691P the
    other is an HP F1739A. Since encountering these dead batteries, I no longer
    leave the laptop continuously plugged in.

    NoMoHoe, Apr 1, 2004