Progressive Scan Question & New DVD Player Recommendations

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Aphelion, Jul 30, 2004.

  1. Aphelion

    Aphelion Guest

    I need some recommendations for a new DVD player. My Sony DVP-S560D spun
    its last disc last night and died. I think it even scratched it (is that
    possible?). Anyway, now it doesn't even read discs. Time for a new player.

    I don't have an HDTV, but was wondering if that made a difference if I
    purchased a progressive scan player. Obviously the ProgScan only works with
    HD, but will it affect the image on an analog TV? I ask because last time I
    tried to upgrade players, I ended up returning a Sony 5-disc ProgScan
    because the image occasionally flickered or jumped between different camera
    angles. Is that an expected byproduct of using ProgScan with an analog TV?
    Any info appreciated.

    Also, can anyone recommend a solid DVD player? What's the best company next
    to Sony? I'm looking for (obviously) crystal clear image clarity with a
    good D/A converter. I don't want to spend more than $200, and I'm going to
    Best Buy. How about this Panasonic?:

    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?type=product&id=1077630479908&skuId=6563685

    Thanks,
    Aphelion

    Aphelion, Jul 30, 2004

  2. A progressive scan player will help to future-proof your investment if you
    don't like how your future HDTV handles the deinterlacing and reverse 3:2.

    Sony, Panasonic, Pioneer, and JVC are all that I would recommend and, IMO, it's
    best that you stick with a simpler single disc transport, generally for better
    reliability. - Reinhart

    LASERandDVDfan, Jul 30, 2004

  3. Aphelion

    Aphelion Guest

    > Sony, Panasonic, Pioneer, and JVC are all that I would recommend and, IMO,
    it's
    > best that you stick with a simpler single disc transport, generally for

    better
    > reliability.

    Multi-disc players are less reliable?

    Aphelion

    Aphelion, Jul 30, 2004
  4. Aphelion

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    "Aphelion" <> wrote in message
    > I don't have an HDTV, but was wondering if that made a difference if I
    > purchased a progressive scan player. Obviously the ProgScan only

    works with
    > HD, but will it affect the image on an analog TV?

    No. When you turn the progressive scan off, the video is output exactly
    the same as it would be from a non-progressive player. It simply
    bypasses that chip.

    There are other qualities that would affect the picture quality.

    Joshua Zyber, Jul 30, 2004
  5. Aphelion

    jayembee Guest

    says...

    >> Sony, Panasonic, Pioneer, and JVC are all that I would recommend and,
    >> IMO, it's best that you stick with a simpler single disc transport,
    >> generally for better reliability.

    > Multi-disc players are less reliable?

    The more complicated the mechanism, the greater the chances are that
    something will go wrong with it.

    -- jayembee

    jayembee, Jul 31, 2004
  6. Aphelion

    Biz Guest

    "Aphelion" <> wrote in message
    > I need some recommendations for a new DVD player. My Sony DVP-S560D spun
    > its last disc last night and died. I think it even scratched it (is that
    > possible?). Anyway, now it doesn't even read discs. Time for a new

    player.

    > I don't have an HDTV, but was wondering if that made a difference if I
    > purchased a progressive scan player. Obviously the ProgScan only works

    with
    > HD, but will it affect the image on an analog TV? I ask because last time

    > tried to upgrade players, I ended up returning a Sony 5-disc ProgScan
    > because the image occasionally flickered or jumped between different

    camera
    > angles. Is that an expected byproduct of using ProgScan with an analog

    TV?
    > Any info appreciated.

    Since you werent using a progressive scan capable tv, then progressive scan
    has absolutely nothing to do with any picture trouble you seemed to have
    had. If you turn on the progressive scan feature(it usually only works on
    component connections) on a regular old anlog non-progressive capable tv,
    you get no picture, or something so scrambled it cannot be watched at all.

    Biz, Jul 31, 2004
  7. Aphelion

    Black Locust Guest

    In article <CkzOc.91183$>,
    "Aphelion" <> wrote:

    > Also, can anyone recommend a solid DVD player? What's the best company next
    > to Sony? I'm looking for (obviously) crystal clear image clarity with a
    > good D/A converter. I don't want to spend more than $200, and I'm going to
    > Best Buy. How about this Panasonic?:

    Stay away from that. 5 disc changers are pretty worthless unless you're
    trying to watch an entire season of a tv series without ever getting off
    the couch. Get the Panasonic DVD-S47 instead. Best Buy sells it for $93.

    --
    BL

    Black Locust, Aug 3, 2004
  8. Aphelion

    michym

    Joined:
    Jan 18, 2010
    Messages:
    1
    why don't you try the sony dvd player with progressive scan you'll really notice the difference if you don't want to buy it you can also go to one of those win free sites like ezwingame.com to get it :D

    michym, Jan 18, 2010