Progressive scan question again....

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Jason Ash, Nov 9, 2003.

  1. Jason Ash

    Jason Ash Guest

    Browsing through the messages on Google, and still don't have an answer
    that makes sense to me....

    I am looking at replacing my existing DVD player (passing it on to the
    mother-in-law actually), and am trying to decide if a progressive scan DVD
    player is worth the cost.

    I do not have a high-def TV. My existing TV does not support component
    video, and is connected via RCA cable. My TV is about a 28" display.

    Would a progressive scan player do anything towards possibly reducing
    artifacts in the DVDs I watch? An example that I can bring to mind would
    be the new Indiana Jones: The Final Crusade. When he is just arrived in
    Venice, and is walking over the bridge after grabbing the flower. The
    bridge railing has the "stair-step" edge that one often sees in low-res
    computer games. Would a progressive scan do anything to help alleviate
    this?

    Please don't just link to the article on Home Theatre Hi-Fi, I've been
    through that and it also doesn't quite answer my question.

    Thank you,
    Jason A.
    Jason Ash, Nov 9, 2003

  2. Jason Ash

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    "Jason Ash" <> wrote in message
    > I do not have a high-def TV. My existing TV does not support

    component
    > video, and is connected via RCA cable. My TV is about a 28" display.

    Your television does not support progressive scan. A progressive scan
    DVD player would do nothing for you until you upgrade your TV. You would
    have to turn the progressive scan function off, in which case you're
    back to where you started with your current DVD player.

    The stair-stepping artifact you describe is an interlacing problem and
    would be lessened or resolved on a progressive display, but not your
    current television.
    Joshua Zyber, Nov 9, 2003

  3. Jason Ash

    Jason Ash Guest

    "Joshua Zyber" <> waxed eloquent
    in news:D7urb.18301$:

    > "Jason Ash" <> wrote in message
    >> I do not have a high-def TV. My existing TV does not support

    > component
    >> video, and is connected via RCA cable. My TV is about a 28" display.

    > Your television does not support progressive scan. A progressive scan
    > DVD player would do nothing for you until you upgrade your TV. You

    would
    > have to turn the progressive scan function off, in which case you're
    > back to where you started with your current DVD player.
    >
    > The stair-stepping artifact you describe is an interlacing problem and
    > would be lessened or resolved on a progressive display, but not your
    > current television.

    THANK YOU!

    A clear and concise answer!

    Now if I could just talk the wife into letting me drop the several
    hundred dollars for a HiDef TV.

    I kind of figured the answer would be something like this, but it is nice
    having someone who knows say so.

    Jason A.
    Jason Ash, Nov 9, 2003
  4. Jason Ash

    Doonie Guest

    On Sun, 09 Nov 2003 16:42:11 GMT, Joshua Zyber wrote:

    >The stair-stepping artifact you describe is an interlacing problem and
    >would be lessened or resolved on a progressive display, but not your
    >current television.

    Or it could be from the 16:9 --> 4:3 downconversion process..
    --
    www.cloakanddagger.ca
    Doonie, Nov 9, 2003
  5. Jason Ash

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    "Doonie" <> wrote in message
    > >The stair-stepping artifact you describe is an interlacing problem

    and
    > >would be lessened or resolved on a progressive display, but not your
    > >current television.

    > Or it could be from the 16:9 --> 4:3 downconversion process..

    Fair point. Either way, a new TV is in order.
    Joshua Zyber, Nov 9, 2003
  6. Jason Ash

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    "Jason Ash" <> wrote in message
    > Now if I could just talk the wife into letting me drop the several
    > hundred dollars for a HiDef TV.

    Well if you want a decent HDTV, you'll have to spend a little more than
    that, even.
    Joshua Zyber, Nov 9, 2003
  7. Jason Ash

    > "Jason Ash" <> wrote in message
    >> Now if I could just talk the wife into letting me drop the several
    >> hundred dollars for a HiDef TV.

    > Well if you want a decent HDTV, you'll have to spend a little more than
    > that, even.

    Yah. All the ones I like would set us back more than the car we just
    bought....

    Maybe I can talk her into letting me get the TV instead of a second car...

    ;)

    Jason A.
    Jason Ash, Nov 11, 2003
  8. Jason Ash

    Rutgar Guest

    On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 18:12:20 -0600, Jason Ash
    <> wrote:

    >"Joshua Zyber" <> waxed eloquent in
    >
    >> "Jason Ash" <> wrote in message
    >>> Now if I could just talk the wife into letting me drop the several
    >>> hundred dollars for a HiDef TV.

    >> Well if you want a decent HDTV, you'll have to spend a little more than
    >> that, even.
    >>

    >Yah. All the ones I like would set us back more than the car we just
    >bought....
    >
    >Maybe I can talk her into letting me get the TV instead of a second car...
    >
    >;)
    >
    >Jason A.

    You can get a Toshiba 51" RP-HDTV for about $1800.00 U.S. Must not
    be much of a car.

    - Rutgar
    Rutgar, Nov 11, 2003