    or is just a flaw in my model?

    Subtitles display in both modes.

    Thanks.
    DJ, Mar 1, 2004

  2. DJ

    Tony Francis Guest

    DJ wrote:
    > I have a Panasonic RP91K DVD player that only shows closed captions
    > when it's not in progressive scan mode. There's a note to that effect
    > in the manual.
    >
    > Does anybody know if this is some sort of progressive scan limitation
    > or is just a flaw in my model?
    >
    > Subtitles display in both modes.
    >
    > Thanks.

    I would love to see an answer on this as well.
    Tony Francis, Mar 1, 2004

  3. DJ

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    "DJ" <> wrote in message
    > I have a Panasonic RP91K DVD player that only shows closed captions
    > when it's not in progressive scan mode. There's a note to that effect
    > in the manual.
    >
    > Does anybody know if this is some sort of progressive scan limitation
    > or is just a flaw in my model?
    >
    > Subtitles display in both modes.

    From what I understand, the closed captioning signal cannot be
    transmitted through a progressive scan signal. I've certainly never
    gotten it to work with my display.
    Joshua Zyber, Mar 2, 2004
  4. DJ

    Impmon Guest

    On Tue, 02 Mar 2004 00:52:08 GMT, "Joshua Zyber"
    <> wrote:

    >From what I understand, the closed captioning signal cannot be
    >transmitted through a progressive scan signal. I've certainly never
    >gotten it to work with my display.

    Would that mean the HDTV won't work with closed captioning from any
    devices that are not spefically designed for HDTV?

    Looks like I may have to get a new DVD player if I get a HDTV.

    Off topic, I know HDTV has NTSC converter (either built in or an
    external option) but how well would the NTSC converter work on really
    old devices? ie CED player, VTR, and even Atari 2600? Some of those
    don't work too well on modern NTSC TV
    --
    To reply, replace digi.mon with tds.net
    Impmon, Mar 2, 2004
  5. DJ

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    "Impmon" <> wrote in message
    > >From what I understand, the closed captioning signal cannot be
    > >transmitted through a progressive scan signal. I've certainly never
    > >gotten it to work with my display.

    > Would that mean the HDTV won't work with closed captioning from any
    > devices that are not spefically designed for HDTV?
    >
    > Looks like I may have to get a new DVD player if I get a HDTV.

    The DVD player has nothing to do with it. The captions just won't
    transmit through a progressive connection. If you need the captions,
    you'll have to use the composite video or S-video connections instead,
    and let the TV do the video deinterlacing rather than the DVD player.

    > Off topic, I know HDTV has NTSC converter (either built in or an
    > external option) but how well would the NTSC converter work on really
    > old devices?

    All an HDTV does to an NTSC signal is deinterlace it and display it as
    progressive rather than interlaced.

    > ie CED player, VTR, and even Atari 2600? Some of those
    > don't work too well on modern NTSC TV

    The larger your screen, the worse they're going to look.
    Joshua Zyber, Mar 2, 2004