Programs work, but not simultaneously: Problem?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Snoopy, Jul 8, 2004.

  1. Snoopy

    Snoopy Guest

    I run a utility on my computer called BCM diagnostics. I believe it
    was designed for new computers to verify that all the bits and pieces
    are working. That means it wouldn't catch all faults but anything not
    connected up properly during manufacture would show up. The program
    contains various sub-programs that can be run either separately or
    simultaneously. The subprograms are:

    Audio Test
    Video Test
    Modem Test
    Graphics test
    Hard Disk Test
    Processor Test
    Memory Test
    Win95 Application
    Floppy Disk Test
    CD ROM test

    Seperately all of these work. When I run the 'stress test' (which
    means all of the above together) the video test and the Win95
    Application tests refuse to start (the others all work).

    Curiously the processor test seems to 'hang'. That means it starts
    and runs but has to be turned off manually but then reports a normal
    termination.

    Most curious of all is that the 'stress test' used to work perfectly
    on this computer but for some reason now doesn't. I haven't made any
    significant changes, in either the hardware or the software, while
    this performance has deteriorated. Any suggestions as to what might
    be causing this?

    TIA

    Snoopy

    --
    Join the fight against aggressive, unrepentant
    spammers 'china-netcom'. E-mail me for more

    Snoopy, Jul 8, 2004

  2. Snoopy

    Patrick Bold Guest

    "Snoopy (*is n)" <te**yson@caverock.*et.*z> wrote in message

    > I run a utility on my computer called BCM diagnostics. ...

    Operating system and version? Version of BCM diagnostics?

    Patrick Bold, Jul 9, 2004

  3. Snoopy

    Patrick Bold Guest

    "Patrick Bold" <> wrote in message
    > "Snoopy (*is n)" <te**yson@caverock.*et.*z> wrote in message
    > >
    > > I run a utility on my computer called BCM diagnostics. ...

    > Operating system and version? Version of BCM diagnostics?

    Maybe this will help: http://www.tufftest.com/faq-bcm.htm

    Q: Why does the system hang when running the Stress Test in concurrent
    mode?
    A: The Stress Test, when run in concurrent mode, is a very stringent,
    timing-sensitive test. First, make sure not to touch the mouse or
    keyboard during testing. Otherwise the Window App. Test may be hung up
    waiting keyboard input. Second, the Modem test might need to be disabled
    when running in concurrent mode. Third, be sure that the hard drive has
    at least 256 MB of free space reserved for the swap file. Also, from our
    experience, some VGA graphics and MPEG drivers may fail under this heavy
    multitasking environment but function properly in normal daily operation
    condition.

    Patrick Bold, Jul 9, 2004
  4. Snoopy

    Hamish Brown Guest

    > >Operating system and version?
    > >

    > Win95a
    >

    > >Version of BCM diagnostics?
    > >

    > Version 1.01.02

    You can get a free update to version 1.53 here:
    http://www.tufftest.com/tt01-lite.htm. Might not solve your problem, but
    it couldn't hurt.

    Hamish Brown, Jul 9, 2004
  5. Snoopy

    Snoopy Guest

    On Fri, 9 Jul 2004 01:15:17 -0400, "Patrick Bold"
    <> wrote:

    >"Snoopy (*is n)" <te**yson@caverock.*et.*z> wrote in message
    >>
    >> I run a utility on my computer called BCM diagnostics. ...

    >Operating system and version?

    Win95a

    >Version of BCM diagnostics?

    Version 1.01.02

    SNOOPY

    Snoopy, Jul 9, 2004
  6. In article <>,
    te**yson@caverock.*et.*z says...
    > On Fri, 9 Jul 2004 01:15:17 -0400, "Patrick Bold"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >"Snoopy (*is n)" <te**yson@caverock.*et.*z> wrote in message
    > >>
    > >> I run a utility on my computer called BCM diagnostics. ...

    > >Operating system and version?
    > >

    > Win95a

    Belongs in the ark. You shouldn't run old OSs like that, they can't be
    made secure.

    Patrick Dunford, Jul 9, 2004
  7. Snoopy

    Snoopy Guest

    On Fri, 9 Jul 2004 01:30:48 -0400, "Patrick Bold"
    <> wrote:

    >Maybe this will help: http://www.tufftest.com/faq-bcm.htm
    >
    >Q: Why does the system hang when running the Stress Test in concurrent
    >mode?
    >A: The Stress Test, when run in concurrent mode, is a very stringent,
    >timing-sensitive test. First, make sure not to touch the mouse or
    >keyboard during testing. Otherwise the Window App. Test may be hung up
    >waiting keyboard input. Second, the Modem test might need to be disabled
    >when running in concurrent mode. Third, be sure that the hard drive has
    >at least 256 MB of free space reserved for the swap file. Also, from our
    >experience, some VGA graphics and MPEG drivers may fail under this heavy
    >multitasking environment but function properly in normal daily operation
    >condition.

    I'll check my free disk space, and disabling the modem test. But if
    I take that answer at face value, it seems my system may be behaving
    within the bounds of 'normal'.

    SNOOPY

    Snoopy, Jul 9, 2004
  8. Snoopy

    Snoopy Guest

    On Fri, 9 Jul 2004 18:54:15 +1200, Patrick Dunford
    <> wrote:

    >In article <>,
    >te**yson@caverock.*et.*z says...
    >> On Fri, 9 Jul 2004 01:15:17 -0400, "Patrick Bold"
    >>
    >> Win95a

    >Belongs in the ark. You shouldn't run old OSs like that, they can't be
    >made secure.

    Well it is the only system this computer has ever run, and it doesn't
    have any of those clunky features, like an integrated browser that I
    don't like. It also doesn't have Outlook Express, a Windows Address
    book or any other such well known e-mail client. That fact alone
    probably makes my system more secure than 90% of those out there ;-)

    SNOOPY

    Snoopy, Jul 9, 2004
  9. In article <>,
    te**yson@caverock.*et.*z says...
    > On Fri, 9 Jul 2004 18:54:15 +1200, Patrick Dunford
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >In article <>,
    > >te**yson@caverock.*et.*z says...
    > >> On Fri, 9 Jul 2004 01:15:17 -0400, "Patrick Bold"
    > >>
    > >> Win95a

    > >Belongs in the ark. You shouldn't run old OSs like that, they can't be
    > >made secure.
    > >

    > Well it is the only system this computer has ever run, and it doesn't
    > have any of those clunky features, like an integrated browser that I
    > don't like. It also doesn't have Outlook Express, a Windows Address
    > book or any other such well known e-mail client. That fact alone
    > probably makes my system more secure than 90% of those out there ;-)

    Not if it can't be updated. All Windows installations are vulnerable
    whether you are using IE or not/.

    Patrick Dunford, Jul 9, 2004
  10. Snoopy

    Snoopy Guest

    On Sat, 10 Jul 2004 01:24:05 +1200, Patrick Dunford
    <> wrote:

    >In article <>,
    >te**yson@caverock.*et.*z says...
    >> On Fri, 9 Jul 2004 18:54:15 +1200, Patrick Dunford
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>In article <>,
    >>>te**yson@caverock.*et.*z says...

    >>>Belongs in the ark. You shouldn't run old OSs like that, they can't be
    >>>made secure.
    >>>

    >>Well it is the only system this computer has ever run, and it doesn't
    >>have any of those clunky features, like an integrated browser that I
    >>don't like. It also doesn't have Outlook Express, a Windows Address
    >>book or any other such well known e-mail client. That fact alone
    >>probably makes my system more secure than 90% of those out there ;-)

    >Not if it can't be updated. All Windows installations are vulnerable
    >whether you are using IE or not/.

    Perhaps I'm just being ignorant, but everything that interfaces with
    the web can be updated. I'm running Free Agent for news Pegasus mail
    for e-mail and K-meleon as a browser. All are continuing to be
    developed and having security holes plugged. I update my virus
    checker regularly.

    Even the core operations of Win 95a can be improved, even if there is
    no 'official' upgrade path. I am running the ME defragger, for
    example. It isn't an official upgrade for Win 95, but it works well.
    Likewise you can update java dlls. I know the system I am running is
    old and won't do everything. But it does what *I* want it to do and
    is not too resource hungry on my old machine, which is the point.

    SNOOPY

    Snoopy, Jul 10, 2004
  11. Snoopy

    Snoopy Guest

    On Fri, 9 Jul 2004 01:39:40 -0400, "Hamish Brown"
    <> wrote:

    >"Snoopy (*is n)" <te**yson@caverock.*et.*z> wrote in message
    >

    >>>Version of BCM diagnostics?
    >>>

    >> Version 1.01.02
    >>

    >You can get a free update to version 1.53 here:
    >http://www.tufftest.com/tt01-lite.htm. Might not solve your
    >problem, but it couldn't hurt.

    Thanks for the link. However, in this case I think there is
    something to be said for having the version of BCM diagnostics
    specifically designed for the operating ssysten it is running on.

    If I got a more modern version of BCM Diagnosics, it might start
    testing things that are inappropriate. IMO this is one instance where
    having the 'latest' version of software is actually not a good idea.

    SNOOPY

    Snoopy, Jul 10, 2004
  12. Snoopy

    <> wrote:

    >A: The Stress Test, when run in concurrent mode, is a very stringent,
    >timing-sensitive test. First, make sure not to touch the mouse or
    >keyboard during testing. Otherwise the Window App. Test may be hung up
    >waiting keyboard input. Second, the Modem test might need to be disabled
    >when running in concurrent mode. Third, be sure that the hard drive has
    >at least 256 MB of free space reserved for the swap file. Also, from our
    >experience, some VGA graphics and MPEG drivers may fail under this heavy
    >multitasking environment but function properly in normal daily operation
    >condition.

    I disabled the modem test and everything else ran perfectly. This
    was with 'only' 40MB reserved as a permanent swap file. I say 'only'
    because fixing the swap file at 40MB has worked fine for me up to now.
    I only have 32MB of ram and a 166 chip, so I think the idea of a 250MB
    swap file is ridiculous. Those BCM troubleshooting instructions must
    have been written for much more modern computers than mine.

    The instructions on the modem use confirm it. Am I correct that
    modern computers use the RAM already in the PC to help drive them? I
    think this is correct because I had to buy a more expensive
    replacement modem that did not tap into the computer resources like
    this, because my PC was old.

    Anyway I re-enabled the modem test and now the only thing that fails
    to complete, during the stress test, is the video test. The video
    test still works fine on its own. I had to use CTRL ALT DEL to shut
    the video test down after it 'hung' during the stress test.
    According to the instructions this is a satisfactory result, even
    though everything worked together perfectly before. Hmmmm....

    SNOOPY

    Snoopy, Jul 10, 2004