Programs running in background

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Jimi, May 24, 2006.

  1. Jimi

    Jimi Guest

    Hello and thanks in advance for any responses. I have win XP

    My computer is slow big time and when I shut it down I get all sorts of
    boxes saying it's 'ending a program".... I did the usual by hitting
    ctrl+alt+del and checked the processes tab. My problem is I don't know what
    ..exe program to get rid of or stop running. I have google searched this
    problem and have found LOTS of free downloads to rectify spyware, and other
    unwanted programs that would be running in the background.

    Can anyone reccomend a free software download to rid myself of these
    programs running in the background? I am thinking of downloading Registryfix
    or Errorkiller. I have downloaded Adaware 6.0 and have used that for the
    past few years. I also use Norton Antivirus.

    BTW: I always clear my cashe and Temp internet files, cookies and basically
    delete the history files , I don't do any gaming, I don't download any
    pirated music, (I buy it). I guess what I'm saying is I try to be very
    mindful of what I download.

    I sure could use some advice from someone in the know that can speed this
    computer up... Thanks ..........Jimi
    Jimi, May 24, 2006

  2. Jimi wrote:

    > My computer is slow big time and when I shut it down I get all sorts
    > of boxes saying it's 'ending a program"....

    The usual answer to this question is that your computer has been
    compromised and is now spewing (relaying) spam to the rest of the world.

    Check your online *outbound* volume and see if anything is leaving the
    computer.

    > I also use Norton Antivirus.

    Another resource hog.

    Without more details ...
    http://k75s.home.att.net/tips.html#spyware

    --
    -bts
    -Warning: I brake for lawn deer
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, May 24, 2006

  3. My first step would be to stop programs from starting with the boot.

    StartupCPL 2.8

    http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml

    Next, I would nuke ANYTHING Symnatec. Symantec is a resource hog and
    doesn't do what it is supposed to do. I recommend Kaspersky, Sophos,
    ClamWin for free, TrendMicro....ANYTHING except Norton/Symnatec. As a
    matter of fact, I would go here:

    http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

    .....and have a scan.

    To identify what programs are starting with the boot, see here:

    http://www.sysinfo.org/startuplist.php

    They are numerous.

    Good luck! You will need it using Norton/Symantec.

    @}-}-------Rosee, May 24, 2006
  4. Jimi

    Mitch Guest

    In article <>, Jimi
    <> wrote:

    > Hello and thanks in advance for any responses. I have win XP
    >

    > My computer is slow big time and when I shut it down I get all sorts of
    > boxes saying it's 'ending a program".... I did the usual by hitting
    > ctrl+alt+del and checked the processes tab. My problem is I don't know what
    > .exe program to get rid of or stop running. I have google searched this
    > problem and have found LOTS of free downloads to rectify spyware, and other
    > unwanted programs that would be running in the background.
    >
    > Can anyone reccomend a free software download to rid myself of these
    > programs running in the background? I am thinking of downloading Registryfix
    > or Errorkiller. I have downloaded Adaware 6.0 and have used that for the
    > past few years. I also use Norton Antivirus.
    >
    > BTW: I always clear my cashe and Temp internet files, cookies and basically
    > delete the history files , I don't do any gaming, I don't download any
    > pirated music, (I buy it). I guess what I'm saying is I try to be very
    > mindful of what I download.
    >
    > I sure could use some advice from someone in the know that can speed this
    > computer up... Thanks ..........Jimi

    You have learned that there is anti-spyware, but you didn't say whether
    you were using it. You NEED it under Windows.
    Spybot and Ad-Aware are both free -- get at least one NOW and run it!
    Then update the definitions and run it again!

    You also need anti-virus and a firewall (not Microsoft's).
    Mitch, May 25, 2006
  5. Jimi

    NotMe Guest

    "Jimi" <> wrote in message
    | Hello and thanks in advance for any responses. I have win XP
    |

    | My computer is slow big time and when I shut it down I get all sorts of
    | boxes saying it's 'ending a program".... I did the usual by hitting
    | ctrl+alt+del and checked the processes tab. My problem is I don't know
    what
    | .exe program to get rid of or stop running. I have google searched this
    | problem and have found LOTS of free downloads to rectify spyware, and
    other
    | unwanted programs that would be running in the background.
    |
    | Can anyone reccomend a free software download to rid myself of these
    | programs running in the background? I am thinking of downloading
    Registryfix
    | or Errorkiller. I have downloaded Adaware 6.0 and have used that for the
    | past few years. I also use Norton Antivirus.
    |
    | BTW: I always clear my cashe and Temp internet files, cookies and
    basically
    | delete the history files , I don't do any gaming, I don't download any
    | pirated music, (I buy it). I guess what I'm saying is I try to be very
    | mindful of what I download.
    |
    | I sure could use some advice from someone in the know that can speed
    this
    | computer up... Thanks ..........Jimi

    The free version of SpyBot S&D will let you set the programs that run from
    boot up.
    NotMe, May 26, 2006