    60 Gb HD
    DVD RW drive
    DVD drive

    Bryan Henderson, Jun 26, 2004

  2. Bryan Henderson

    KungFusion Guest

    Bryan Henderson wrote:

    > I keep getting programs just closing down with the message "this program
    > has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down......." or
    > Explorer has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down. Win 98
    > SE has been reinstalled fairly recently, I have also run Windows update.
    > Any help would be appreciated. TIA.

    First thing is test your memory. Usually "illegal opcode"
    fault is corrupted memory. An instruction has been overwritten
    and the CPU says "I never heard of this opcode" 'cause it's just
    random trash where the instruction stream should be.

    If your ram is Okay then it's prolly just the fact that
    Win98 sucks and some program or driver has overwritten
    memory it's not supposed to. I'd go with XP Home and
    NTFS file system. Once in a while you get a fatal error
    on XP and it reboots but your file system doesn't get
    trashed and you don't have to run scandisk. With a UPS
    on your system and NTFS you should avoid major problems.

    It looks like you have enough ram and CPU power to run
    XP Home okay. It's a lot smoother than Win9x and it's
    worth it just to get rid of running scandisk several
    times a week.

    KungFusion, Jun 26, 2004

  3. "KungFusion" <> wrote in message
    > Bryan Henderson wrote:
    >
    > > I keep getting programs just closing down with the message "this program
    > > has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down......." or
    > > Explorer has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down. Win

    98
    > > SE has been reinstalled fairly recently, I have also run Windows update.
    > > Any help would be appreciated. TIA.
    > >

    > First thing is test your memory. Usually "illegal opcode"
    > fault is corrupted memory. An instruction has been overwritten
    > and the CPU says "I never heard of this opcode" 'cause it's just
    > random trash where the instruction stream should be.
    >
    > If your ram is Okay then it's prolly just the fact that
    > Win98 sucks and some program or driver has overwritten
    > memory it's not supposed to. I'd go with XP Home and
    > NTFS file system. Once in a while you get a fatal error
    > on XP and it reboots but your file system doesn't get
    > trashed and you don't have to run scandisk. With a UPS
    > on your system and NTFS you should avoid major problems.
    >
    > It looks like you have enough ram and CPU power to run
    > XP Home okay. It's a lot smoother than Win9x and it's
    > worth it just to get rid of running scandisk several
    > times a week.

    Thanks I'm going to get the memory checked on Monday morning. I have used
    Win 98 SE for quite a while and it has been not too bad IMHO.

    Bryan Henderson, Jun 26, 2004
  4. Bryan Henderson

    Duane Arnold Guest

    "Bryan Henderson" <> wrote in

    > "KungFusion" <> wrote in message
    >> Bryan Henderson wrote:
    >>
    >> > I keep getting programs just closing down with the message "this
    >> > program has performed an illegal operation and will be shut
    >> > down......." or Explorer has performed an illegal operation and
    >> > will be shut down. Win

    > 98
    >> > SE has been reinstalled fairly recently, I have also run Windows
    >> > update. Any help would be appreciated. TIA.
    >> >

    >> First thing is test your memory. Usually "illegal opcode"
    >> fault is corrupted memory. An instruction has been overwritten
    >> and the CPU says "I never heard of this opcode" 'cause it's just
    >> random trash where the instruction stream should be.
    >>
    >> If your ram is Okay then it's prolly just the fact that
    >> Win98 sucks and some program or driver has overwritten
    >> memory it's not supposed to. I'd go with XP Home and
    >> NTFS file system. Once in a while you get a fatal error
    >> on XP and it reboots but your file system doesn't get
    >> trashed and you don't have to run scandisk. With a UPS
    >> on your system and NTFS you should avoid major problems.
    >>
    >> It looks like you have enough ram and CPU power to run
    >> XP Home okay. It's a lot smoother than Win9x and it's
    >> worth it just to get rid of running scandisk several
    >> times a week.
    >>

    > Thanks I'm going to get the memory checked on Monday morning. I have
    > used Win 98 SE for quite a while and it has been not too bad IMHO.

    Although the Win 98 SE is the best out of the Windows 9'x series, things
    can be crashed on the system easily due to programs such as 16 bit
    drivers sharing the same 16 bit processing thread with the O/S and other
    16 bit programs. If it's not a memory issue, it may be program conflict
    in the thread or something along those lines.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Jun 27, 2004