Programs Crashing in XP

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by John, Aug 7, 2006.

  1. John

    John Guest

    I have been having a problem lately, and cannot seem to narrow it
    down.

    Several programs, like Windows Explorer, WMP10, and other video or
    audio programs, will come up with an error message that "abc.exe has
    encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the
    inconvenience." "If you were in the middle of something, the
    information you were working on might be lost." Many times, when I
    click "OK" my screen freezes, and I have to go to Task Manager to shut
    it down. After that, everything seems to work fine.

    I've run two different virus programs, McAfee and AVG, thinking it
    might be a virus. My system appears clean. I've run AdAware and
    Spybot, and aside from a few tracking cookies, all else appears clean.
    I use WIN auto update, so I think I am up to date on all security
    fixes. I'm behind a router firewall.

    I'm not sure what to do to track this problem down. I'm running a Pent
    4, 3.0 mhz, WINXP SP2, 1 GB RAM, and two installed hard drives, 200gb
    and 160gb, with two DVD Burners. Both hard drives have more than 100gb
    free. I do a bit of video work, and have installed different programs
    along the way, but nothing that seemed to cause any problems.

    I considered reformatting the "C" HD, but with quite a few programs on
    both drives, that would be a lot of work. I'll do it if I have to, but
    hope there's a simpler fix. Maybe just reinstall WINXP? Does it work
    to just reinstall it over itself, or is that just a problem in itself?

    Anyone have any thoughts on what might be causing this, or maybe a
    suggestion on how to track down the source of the problem?

    Thanks for any help.

    John, Aug 7, 2006

  2. John

    beenthere Guest

    www.testmyfirewall.com/abcexe.asp

    beenthere, Aug 7, 2006

  3. John

    Jerry G. Guest

    In the Adminstrator Tools, check out the Event Viewer to see if there
    are any reported errors. You will need the proper technical skills to
    understand the results. Also, you can run Dr. Watson, and after the
    faults have occured, you can check the Dr. Watson log file.

    In Windows help, do a search for Event Viewer, and Dr. Watson. There
    will be information about how to apply these utilities. If you do a
    search on the net, there are many sites that have information about
    these utilities.

    It is very important to take note of any reported errors, and the codes
    given. Many assistance can be found by searching the net, and or from
    the MS site.

    Below is an example from Windows Help:
    _________________

    Using Dr. Watson

    Dr. Watson detects information about system and program failures and
    records the information in a log file. In the event of a program error,
    Dr. Watson starts automatically.

    Open Dr. Watson.

    Notes:
    To open Dr. Watson, click Start, and then click Run. In the Open box,
    type drwtsn32.
    Dr. Watson cannot prevent errors from occurring, but the information
    recorded in the log file can be used by technical support personnel to
    diagnose the problem.

    For information about using Dr. Watson, click Help in Dr. Watson.

    For more information, click Related Topics.

    __________________

    Using Event Viewer

    Event Viewer maintains logs about program, security, and system events
    on your computer. You can use Event Viewer to view and manage the event
    logs, gather information about hardware and software problems, and
    monitor Windows security events.

    Open Event Viewer.

    Notes:
    To open Event Viewer, click Start, point to Settings, and then click
    Control Panel. Double-click Administrative Tools, and then double-click
    Event Viewer.

    For information about using Event Viewer, in Event Viewer, on the Action
    menu, click Help.

    For more information, click Related Topics.

    ________________________

    --

    Jerry G.

    Jerry G., Aug 7, 2006
  4. John

    John Guest

    On Mon, 7 Aug 2006 17:23:42 -0400, "Jerry G."
    <> wrote:

    >In the Adminstrator Tools, check out the Event Viewer to see if there
    >are any reported errors. You will need the proper technical skills to
    >understand the results. Also, you can run Dr. Watson, and after the
    >faults have occured, you can check the Dr. Watson log file.
    >
    >In Windows help, do a search for Event Viewer, and Dr. Watson. There
    >will be information about how to apply these utilities. If you do a
    >search on the net, there are many sites that have information about
    >these utilities.
    >
    >It is very important to take note of any reported errors, and the codes
    >given. Many assistance can be found by searching the net, and or from
    >the MS site.

    Thank you for the information. I will explore these utilities, but
    it's funny, one of the programs that seems to freeze up on me is Dr.
    Watson. I'll go look at the Task Manager, and find 4-5 instances
    running, and I manually shut each of them down. Usually, once I do
    that, it'll unlock the program that started the problem, and let it
    shut down.

    Looking at the Event Viewer, I can see the errors each time a program
    crashed, but what do I do with it? Like you said, I don't have the
    technical skills to understand this. For example, here's one of the
    errors I received from WMP. When I click on the MS link, it says "No
    further information on this error ID."

    "Event Type: Error
    Event Source: Application Error
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 1000
    Date: 8/7/2006
    Time: 12:09:04 PM
    User: N/A
    Computer: JOHN
    Faulting application wmplayer.exe, version 10.0.0.3646, faulting
    module unknown, version 0.0.0.0, fault address 0x00000000.

    Data:
    0000: 41 70 70 6c 69 63 61 74 Applicat
    0008: 69 6f 6e 20 46 61 69 6c ion Fail
    0010: 75 72 65 20 20 77 6d 70 ure wmp
    0018: 6c 61 79 65 72 2e 65 78 layer.ex
    0020: 65 20 31 30 2e 30 2e 30 e 10.0.0
    0028: 2e 33 36 34 36 20 69 6e .3646 in
    0030: 20 75 6e 6b 6e 6f 77 6e unknown
    0038: 20 30 2e 30 2e 30 2e 30 0.0.0.0
    0040: 20 61 74 20 6f 66 66 73 at offs
    0048: 65 74 20 30 30 30 30 30 et 00000
    0050: 30 30 30 0d 0a 000..

    I check the security site given in the previous message, and it stated
    that my system was secure. It tested the firewall, and the GRC site
    reported my system was totally invisible.

    Thanks again.

    John, Aug 8, 2006