Program update icon in control panel

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by barqy, Jan 10, 2006.

  1. barqy

    barqy Guest

    barqy, Jan 10, 2006

  2. barqy

    Sonoran Dude Guest

    barqy wrote:
    > Hello, I recently bought a new dell, and uinstalled some of the
    > pre-set software, everything went well (I think).
    >

    > However, whenever I go into control panel I see this "program update"
    > icon (refer to 1.jpg) when I double click it, it loads up, but
    > everything is blank~! (refer to 2.jpg)
    >
    > any ideas?
    >

    > http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v319/barqy/1.jpg
    > http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v319/barqy/2.jpg
    >

    > thanks in advance

    My dell is not showing the ICON but I removed all Dell Support Stuff
    etc. when I bought mine. It could be the reminants for some other
    software you uninstalled that may not be associated with Dell. I service
    a lot of Dells and have seen the icon but never gave it much thought.

    Sonoran Dude, Jan 10, 2006

  3. barqy

    Unk Guest

    On Tue, 10 Jan 2006 09:33:53 GMT, barqy <> wrote:

    >Hello, I recently bought a new dell, and uinstalled some of the
    >pre-set software, everything went well (I think).
    >

    >However, whenever I go into control panel I see this "program update"
    >icon (refer to 1.jpg) when I double click it, it loads up, but
    >everything is blank~! (refer to 2.jpg)
    >
    >any ideas?
    >

    >http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v319/barqy/1.jpg
    >http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v319/barqy/2.jpg
    >

    >thanks in advance

    Some of the Dell software you deleted had update capability.
    The Icon is for the InstallShield Update Manager for that software. Some of the software on mine
    is for the InstallShield Update Manager itself, and Sonic Digital Media.

    If you want, you can use TweakUI to hide the applet from the Control Panel or just
    remove/relocate/delete the "isuspm.cpl" entry from the C:\Windows\System32 folder.

    Microsoft TweakUI specifically for Windows XP
    http://download.microsoft.com/download/whistler/Install/2/WXP/EN-US/TweakUiPowertoySetup.exe

    Unk, Jan 10, 2006
  4. barqy

    barqy Guest

    Hello,

    sometimes (rarely) the installshield thing will pop up but there is no
    text (refer to pic 2)

    How do I get rid of it completely rather than hiding the icon..?

    thanks

    barqy, Jan 11, 2006
  5. barqy

    Unk Guest

    On Wed, 11 Jan 2006 01:31:51 GMT, barqy <> wrote:

    >Hello,
    >
    >sometimes (rarely) the installshield thing will pop up but there is no
    >text (refer to pic 2)
    >
    >How do I get rid of it completely rather than hiding the icon..?
    >
    >thanks

    Start-> Run-> Regedit
    Work your way to
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion\Run
    In the left window, highlight the "Run" key, click "File", "Export" and save the key in case you
    want it back in the future. (You can edit the exported file with notepad to remove all but the
    two keys you want to delete.)

    In the Right window, delete the "ISUSPM Startup" and "ISUSScheduler" keys.
    Both keys point to the C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\UpdateService\ folder.
    Once you reboot, you can delete that folder or archive it. (in case you ever want it back)

    Unk, Jan 11, 2006
  6. barqy

    barqy Guest

    thanks~!!