Program to show what's attached to network switches cammer.pl ->cammer_c.pl

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by James Harris, Sep 25, 2009.

  1. James Harris

    James Harris Guest

    In case someone else finds this useful here is a Perl program to
    report on the devices attached to network switches. It was derived
    from Tobias Oetiker's cammer and has added further information about
    each device.

    http://codewiki.wikispaces.com/cammer_c.pl

    To use it you need to know SNMP read-permission community strings for
    your routers and switches.

    A couple of years ago the program was used extensively to gather
    information on devices connected to a Cisco network so I'm including a
    Cisco group in the distribution. I'm not in a position to do further
    work on the program at present but as long as the interface to the
    SNMP support libraries has not changed it should still work just as it
    did before.

    The web page explains what it does and gives full details on how to
    set it up.

    James

    James Harris, Sep 25, 2009

  2. James Harris

    Simon Leinen Guest

    Re: Program to show what's attached to network switches cammer.pl -> cammer_c.pl

    James Harris writes:
    > http://codewiki.wikispaces.com/cammer_c.pl

    Thanks for putting this up! Did you send your improvements to Tobi?

    > [...] I'm not in a position to do further work on the program at
    > present but as long as the interface to the SNMP support libraries has
    > not changed it should still work just as it did before.

    The Perl SNMP support libraries (which I'm responsible for) are supposed
    to have stable interfaces; they were extended over the years, but I
    always tried to make sure that existing legal uses would continue to
    function as usual. If anyone notices problems in this area, they are
    welcome to file a bug, ideally by opening an issue in the tracker under

    http://code.google.com/p/snmp-session/
    --
    Simon.

    Simon Leinen, Sep 25, 2009

  3. James Harris

    James Harris Guest

    On 25 Sep, 15:39, Simon Leinen <> wrote:

    > James Harris writes:

    > >  http://codewiki.wikispaces.com/cammer_c.pl

    > Thanks for putting this up! Did you send your improvements to Tobi?

    We were in touch about it. Tobias felt too much had changed to merge
    them. Of course the original had also moved on by that time. He did
    give permission, though, for this version to be forked.

    > > [...] I'm not in a position to do further work on the program at
    > > present but as long as the interface to the SNMP support libraries has
    > > not changed it should still work just as it did before.

    > The Perl SNMP support libraries (which I'm responsible for) are supposed
    > to have stable interfaces; they were extended over the years, but I
    > always tried to make sure that existing legal uses would continue to
    > function as usual.  If anyone notices problems in this area, they are
    > welcome to file a bug, ideally by opening an issue in the tracker under
    >
    > http://code.google.com/p/snmp-session/

    I only learned enough Perl to make the changes we needed and I put off
    announcing the program for over a year in case someone had issues
    using it that I couldn't help with. So it's good to know the post got
    through to the person responsible for those libraries - and, in fact,
    that they are maintained. At least someone here knows what's going on!

    James

    James Harris, Sep 25, 2009