    monitor flickers in Linux but not in Windows. I'd like to find out what the
    Windows refresh rate is so that I can change it in Linux.
    AG
    AG, Jan 27, 2004

  2. AG

    David Hough Guest

    Right click on desktop, properties, settings tab, click on advanced,
    monitor tab. At least with my adapter, under w2k it shows the current
    and other available refresh rates

    David Hough, Jan 27, 2004

  3. AG

    Karkucus Guest

    Looking toward Netwok+ Certification , Here is greate Link
    for Excellent Microsoft Certification Guide,
    Free Demos are also available.

    http://www.studyexam4less.com/mb.asp

    Also here is another Money saving idea for Netwok+ Testing exam fee. buy voucher
    and Scheduale the exam using Netwok+ voucher for Only US $150.00

    http://www.getcertify4less.com/mb.asp

    Karkucus, Jan 27, 2004
  4. AG

    not me Guest

    He must be getting a kick back for everyone who signs up for this stuff...

    not me, Jan 27, 2004
  5. AG

    AG Guest

    > Right click on desktop, properties, settings tab, click on advanced,
    > monitor tab. At least with my adapter, under w2k it shows the current
    > and other available refresh rates
    >
    > AG wrote:
    > > Does anyone have a shareware or freeware utility that will show the

    refresh
    > > rate of a monitor. I have just installed Linux on an old laptop and the
    > > monitor flickers in Linux but not in Windows. I'd like to find out what

    the
    > > Windows refresh rate is so that I can change it in Linux.
    > > AG

    Thanks I guess it only works with 2000 or above. I've got 98 on this one
    and I can't find it there.
    There's got to be something somewhere.
    AG
    AG, Jan 27, 2004
  6. On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 19:03:05 GMT, "Billy" <> wrote:

    >Why the continuous SPAM to every question?
    >Damn Sympatico users seem to love this kind of stuff.
    >Clue that your anon isn't. toronto-hse-ppp3661180.sympatico.ca
    >(65.95.147.61):

    There's no need to generalize about us Sympatico users, and why did
    you repeat his messge if you didn't like it?

    Tom
    Tom MacIntyre, Jan 27, 2004
  7. AG

    not me Guest

    Hi

    My first thought would be to look up the laptop mfg on the net and see what
    specs you could find, If not email the mfg and ask what refresh is on this
    particular laptop. Secondly, go to a retailer of that unit and ask them.

    not me, Jan 27, 2004
  8. AG

    AG Guest

    "Will Dormann" <> wrote in message
    > AG wrote:
    >
    > > Thanks I guess it only works with 2000 or above. I've got 98 on this

    one
    > > and I can't find it there.
    > > There's got to be something somewhere.

    > No, Win98 should also tell you the refresh rate. (as should your
    > monitor's OSD, assuming it has one) But what's the point of messing
    > with all that, though?
    >
    > Just increase the refresh rate in Linux until it looks nice.
    >

    > -WD

    Don't want to burn out the TFT monitor. I'm REALLY cheap or I wouldn't be
    installing Linux on a laptop this old.
    AG
    AG, Jan 27, 2004
  9. AG

    > AG wrote:
    >
    > > Don't want to burn out the TFT monitor. I'm REALLY cheap or I wouldn't

    be
    > > installing Linux on a laptop this old.

    > Now that you mention that it's a TFT display, are you sure that it's the
    > refresh rate that is the problem? An LCD doesn't have a refresh rate,
    > like a CRT does. Granted, they'll list a refresh rate, but that's for
    > compatibility's sake with your video adapter.
    >
    > If you set the refresh rate too low on a CRT, you'll see flicker. This
    > is because how the display is "drawn" onto the screen repeatedly. But
    > with LCD the refresh rate really doesn't effect how the image appears.
    >
    > Perhaps you're running in a different resolution in Linux than in windows?
    >

    > -WD

    Good idea but it's running 800x600 256 colors in both but there is a slight
    flicker in Linux. That's the native resolution for this monitor. I'm
    running RH 7.3 right now on it and I'm not very happy with it. It won't use
    my PCMCIA network card so I can get it on the network at work, which is half
    the reason that I wanted to put Linux on there in the first place. Also
    after the install it can't find the external Backpack CDROM so I'm having
    trouble upgrading.
    I'm downloading Fedora right now so we'll see if that is better.
    AG
    AG, Jan 28, 2004
  10. AG

    > AG wrote:
    >
    > > Good idea but it's running 800x600 256 colors in both but there is a

    slight
    > > flicker in Linux. That's the native resolution for this monitor. I'm
    > > running RH 7.3 right now on it and I'm not very happy with it. It won't

    use
    > > my PCMCIA network card so I can get it on the network at work, which is

    half
    > > the reason that I wanted to put Linux on there in the first place. Also
    > > after the install it can't find the external Backpack CDROM so I'm

    having
    > > trouble upgrading.
    > > I'm downloading Fedora right now so we'll see if that is better.
    > > AG

    Good idea except the CD ROM on this system is a Parallel Port one and that
    means no booting from it. I use KNOPPIX all the time when I have a system
    that will boot from a CD. This IBM Thinkpad 560E doesn't even have a built
    in floppy drive, it's an external.
    I'm on the second CD of Fedora now.
    AG

    AG, Jan 29, 2004